Draft Discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Reshuffle II

Draft Discussion

Moderators: silentjim, RedHopeful, mbuser, jphanned

Re: Draft Discussion

Postby Coast to Coast » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:39 pm

phx_2008_champs wrote:
geodbear wrote:I think we are supposed to go through Round 12. If we we're continuing, then

11.02 C.J. Miles (GF)

He's a decent player. Probably hurt himself by going directly from high school to the pros.

I thought this was a 10 round deal.

No - 12 round deal like last time.
Coast to Coast
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Coast to Coast » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:41 pm

Great pick on Jared Jefferies - I was targeting him with my next pick. ;-D
Coast to Coast
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby sabonis » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:02 pm

silentjim wrote:
sabonis wrote:just wait for Omer Asik to emerge. in 2 years he can be like a prime Theo Ratliff

I like the pick and the expectations. ;-D

well I'm Turkish so I know what kind of impact Omer can make. Theo Ratliff is the best comparison I have. but he's a better rebounder than him. in 2-3 years he can be a solid starting center. but of course these things are never certain, maybe he'll be a bust and come back to europe, who knows
sabonis
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Coast to Coast » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:02 am

PICK!!!
Coast to Coast
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Coast to Coast » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:04 am

I KNEW when I drafted Stuckey that he would be PERFECT for my team...Even HE KNOWS that we are the best team!!! Love the 'tude....fits perfect for my win-now championship squad... ;-D

Rodney Stuckey: "On paper, we are the best team"

Posted by Royce Young

Ah, mid-September. It's the wonderful time where not only are fanbases hopelessly optimistic, but even the players get a little sense of unbridled bias that leads to a lapse in reality.

Take Michael Beasley for example, who mentioned that the Wolves are the team to beat last week. Or Rodney Stuckey, who told Dime Magazine in an interview that "On paper, we are the best team in the league." As Kurt Helin of Pro Basketball Talk wisely put it, "What paper? Rolling?"

Actual quote from Interview:
Dime: I can tell you are driven after the difficult experience of last season. How do you feel things will turn out this season coming up?
Rodney Stuckey: Last year was tough. We were inconsistent. There was no chemistry. We all just have to stay healthy and the sky is the limit for us. On paper, we are the best team in the League. We are deep and athletic. All we have to do is play to our abilities. We don’t have the biggest roster, but if we share the ball, we’ll be alright

Now again, this isn't something new. Brash players tend to talk... brashly in September. And why not? You're already in first place, your front office (supposedly, theoretically) made you better and if you just play like you're supposed to, everything will be alright.

But it doesn't make it any less fun to point out these comments from players. The Pistons should be better. Last year was tough but "on paper," they improved. Who knows, in the East, anybody could realistically be a low-seed playoff team. Especially on paper.

Still, do names like Stuckey, Charlie Villanueva, Ben Gordon, Tracy McGrady and Ben Wallace really look that good on paper? As good as Chris Bosh, LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and whoever else is on that one team? Or even as good as Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, Kevin Garnett and Rajon Rondo? Or as good as Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol, Ron Artest and Andrew Bynum? I think I've made my point here.

It's a curious thing as to why players make bold statements like these. Is it to try and fire up fanbases? Is it to try and develop and us versus the world mentality when everyone tells you you're crazy? Is it just a confidence thing? Or could they possibily, actually believe it?

Whatever the answer is on that, the lesson here is, professional athletes don't always speak with the head, but more often with the heart. And really, there's nothing wrong with that.

NBA / Apr 30, 2010 / 4:47 pm
Should Rodney Stuckey be “The Franchise” for the Pistons?

By Austin Burton

Rodney Stuckey, Dime #47

While teams like the Spurs and Mavericks can carefully audition young role players to eventually take over as “The Franchise” once the time is right, others are under the gun — both basketball-wise and at the box office — to find out ASAP precisely who they’re going to hitch their wagon to and take their best shot at a championship.

The Detroit Pistons are in that second group. After snapping an eight-year run of making the playoffs, which included an NBA title in ‘04, an NBA Finals loss in ‘05, and four other appearances in the Eastern Conference Finals, the Pistons landed in the Lottery this year. And for a fan base and front office that’s grown accustomed to success, that’s not going to cut it for too long.

Rodney Stuckey has been identified as Detroit’s future franchise player ever since Chauncey Billups was traded in November 2008. But is Stuckey living up to the crown and progressing at a good pace? This season the third-year pro averaged 16.6 points, 3.9 rebounds, 4.8 assists and 1.4 steals per game. Only a handful of players — LeBron, Kobe, D-Wade, Monta Ellis, Tyreke Evans, Chris Paul, Stephen Curry and Andre Iguodala — were able to crack 16 ppg, 4 rpg, 5 apg and 1.5 spg, and Stuckey was just a handful boards, dimes and steals away from joining that group.

Being a true franchise player, however, means more than just putting up numbers. Does Stuckey — who shot 40 percent from the field and 22 percent from three-point range — have the trust of his teammates and his coach that he can carry the Pistons? Does he elicit grown-man fear from opposing defenses that he can slice them up whenever he gets in the mood? In the Detroit games I watched that came down to the wire, Rip Hamilton and Ben Gordon were called upon just as much as Stuckey, maybe even more so, when the team needed a big shot. On one hand that’s a good problem to have when you can keep defenses guessing on critical possessions; but on the other hand it pokes a big hole in the Stuckey-as-The-Franchise argument.

If Pistons president Joe Dumars is convinced Stuckey is his guy, I think the best move would be to trade Hamilton this summer.

When he was healthy this year, Rip proved he could still play, dropping 18.1 points a night in 48 games. And while he’s got a monster contract ($37.8 million over the next three seasons) to unload for a 32-year-old, Rip could be attractive to a mid-level contender looking for a scorer to help them get over the hump. In return, Detroit may be able to add some more pieces to surround Stuckey. But more importantly, Stuckey would finally feel like this is really his team, that he’s really The Franchise.

Stuckey is a young respectful guy, and Rip is a respected vet. He’s one of the last remaining links to Detroit’s championship squad, where he was the top offensive option. And it’s not like he’s washed up today, so it’s completely understandable that Stuckey would still defer to Rip — even if Rip accepted a secondary role to the young gun — no matter what his coaches, team execs and shot distribution might be telling him.

If Stuckey is supposed to be Detroit’s meal ticket, next season is “put up or shut up” time. Not saying he needs to hoist the team on his back and go championship-or-bust — but by the end of a player’s fourth year, most of the time, we know whether or not they’ve got superstar quality. Kobe, Wade and Tim Duncan all won a ‘chip by the end of their fourth year as the best or second-player on their team. LeBron, Deron Williams and Paul Pierce had at least led their team to a conference finals by the end of Year Four, while CP3, Dirk Nowitzki and Allen Iverson had at least taken their teams into the second round.

Stuckey played in the conference finals in ‘08, but that was his rookie year as a backup. He has to prove he can do postseason damage as the alpha male if he’s going to be considered franchise material. Especially in Detroit, where the rafters hanging overhead in The Palace are a constant reminder that middle-of-the-pack isn’t good enough.

Great thing is, on my squad, stud Stuckey doesn't need to be the guy - I have PLENTY TO GO AROUND... B-) ;-D
Coast to Coast
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby nebgib5 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:42 pm

Rodney Stuckey: Almost as Delusional as C2C
nebgib5
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby RedHopeful » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:03 am

nebgib5 wrote:Rodney Stuckey: Almost as Delusional as C2C

RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 603)

Postby Coast to Coast » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:19 am

I have a nice balance of players represented in both the US and abroad. In fact, I have representation across North America, South America, Western Europe, Eastern Europe and Asia. I have decided to run all my scrimmages Rocky style (USA versus the World) and have a perfect roster to field both squads across all positions.

USA:
Stuckey (Washington) PG
Kmart (Ohio) SG
Odom (NY) SF
Amare (Florida) PF
Dampier (Mississippi) C
KG (South Carolina) PF

INTERNATIONAL:
Slovenia: Beno Udirh PG
Argentina: Carlos Delfino SG
Serbia: Peja Stojakovic SF
China: Yi Jianlian PF
France: Johan Petro C
Coast to Coast
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Nene » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:45 am

No idea why all this year's rookies are being slept on.
Nene Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Coast to Coast » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:16 am

Nene wrote:No idea why all this year's rookies are being slept on.
bc there are better veterans out there...look at the last pick Jason Kapono - one of the best shooters...versus some of these rookies who may never be anything...
Coast to Coast
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Reshuffle II