Draft Discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe


Return to FBC Reshuffle II

Draft Discussion

Moderators: silentjim, RedHopeful, mbuser, jphanned

Re: Draft Discussion

Postby So-Tex » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:09 pm

Nene wrote:
plonden wrote:I assumed Nene was trying to draft Penny Hardaway. :-D


More like Oscar Schmidt ;-D

I'm surprised phil, you wouldn't be looking to pick up...da, da, daaaaaaaaa..."Thunder" Dan Majerle! :-D
Image
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 1051
(Past Year: 180)
Joined: 19 Aug 2009
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: South Texas, USA

Re: Draft Discussion

Postby Skippyoz » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:37 pm

I'm going with Dwyane Wade to start it off. Why?

1. After Alonzo Mourning's retirement, he became my favorite player... of all-time.

2. Clutch.

3. Offense.

4. Defense.

5. He's been there before... as the leader of an NBA Championship team... AND he's young.

6. He's a guy others want to play with... just ask LeBron and Bosh... and Haslem, etc.

SKIP
Skippyoz
College Captain
College Captain

Cafe Writer
Posts: 490
(Past Year: 20)
Joined: 7 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Draft Discussion

Postby plonden » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:00 am

Good pick on D-Wade.

Skippyoz wrote:5. He's been there before... as the leader of an NBA Championship team... AND he's young.

Although I would say his prime is pretty much over (29 years old) at this point so I'd be looking to win now with this team, similar to the Kobe team. Other teams with younger centerpieces can get away with looking more towards the future but teams built around past-prime (even if only barely past their time like this case) players have a much greater urgency to build a true contender.
plonden
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4056
(Past Year: 52)
Joined: 27 Sep 2007
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Draft Discussion

Postby So-Tex » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:07 am

plonden wrote:Although I would say his prime is pretty much over (29 years old) at this point so I'd be looking to win now with this team, similar to the Kobe team. Other teams with younger centerpieces can get away with looking more towards the future but teams built around past-prime (even if only barely past their time like this case) players have a much greater urgency to build a true contender.

Damnit! :-[

I really, really, really, really, REALLLY, want to say something about this, but it'd be breaking the rules.

I guess you can just look at my avatar and you'll get the idea. Otherwise, I'll shut up... :-X
Image
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 1051
(Past Year: 180)
Joined: 19 Aug 2009
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: South Texas, USA

Re: Draft Discussion

Postby Nene » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:52 am

I know what you're saying So-Tex, and an argument could be made, but age plays a factor in all decisions.
Nene Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 7103
Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: Leningrad

Re: Draft Discussion

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:59 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:Stating the obvious here, but of the top five chosen I am quite enamored with the LBJ pick. Beyond his basketball prowess, he can play four positions (PF a stretch but it worked at times for the Cavs) on the hardwood. If I was starting out a team, I would endeavor to pick someone like him because he provides valuable flexibility in regards to how you fill out the rest of your roster. As well, he makes his teamates better with his outstanding passing skills that set up his teammates in ideal spots on the floor. With an improving defensive game and the potential to develop a midrange game a la Kobe (a fadeaway and a consistent three shot should be a constant part of his repertoire), I think a coherent argument can easily be made for him going #2.

Agree with everything said, but one can't deny what he's done in the postseason though. He has come up missing more than once and it'll now be more difficult than ever to gauge his ability to win championships. ;-7
Image
RedHopeful
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18252
(Past Year: 603)
Joined: 11 Jul 2007
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: http://twitter.com/Redhopeful

Re: Draft Discussion

Postby jackie hayes » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:02 pm

What are the rules on time limits, given that it started early? The rules thread says this:

When does this thing start?

July 23, 2010 (Friday), Noon EST.


Which is just a bit past. But it's been 12 hours since the last pick.

I'm up next, but it seems fair to give Sabonis at least until 12 hours past the 'official' start time. But if someone is going to jump in and pick ahead of me, I'll just make a pick. Clarification from the refs, please?
jackie hayes
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach


Posts: 803
Joined: 19 Apr 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Draft Discussion

Postby silentjim » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:18 pm

jackie hayes wrote:What are the rules on time limits, given that it started early? The rules thread says this:

When does this thing start?

July 23, 2010 (Friday), Noon EST.


Which is just a bit past. But it's been 12 hours since the last pick.

I'm up next, but it seems fair to give Sabonis at least until 12 hours past the 'official' start time. But if someone is going to jump in and pick ahead of me, I'll just make a pick. Clarification from the refs, please?


The draft has technically not started yet, you are correct. You need to wait until midnight tonight before you can make your pick. ;-D
Image
silentjim
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 11523
(Past Year: 565)
Joined: 23 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: Fundamentals are the crutch of the talentless.

Re: Draft Discussion

Postby Skippyoz » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:23 pm

plonden wrote:Good pick on D-Wade.

Skippyoz wrote:5. He's been there before... as the leader of an NBA Championship team... AND he's young.

Although I would say his prime is pretty much over (29 years old) at this point so I'd be looking to win now with this team, similar to the Kobe team. Other teams with younger centerpieces can get away with looking more towards the future but teams built around past-prime (even if only barely past their time like this case) players have a much greater urgency to build a true contender.


I think his "prime" as measured on a statistical or fantasy slant has probably passed. But, he is just entering his "prime" in regards to leading a team to an NBA Championship.

As per basketball-reference, here are some ages of shooting guard/small-forward types who "led" their teams to the top:

Bulls with Jordan: Ages 27, 28, 29
Rockets with Hakeem
Bulls with Jordan: Ages 32, 33, 34
Spurs with Duncan
Lakers with Shaq
Spurs with Duncan
Pistons with Team Defense
Spurs with Duncan
Heat with Wade: Age 24
Spurs with Duncan
Celtics with a Trio: Garnett... and Pierce Age 30 and Allen Age 32
Lakers with Kobe: Age 30
Lakers with Kobe: Age 31

So, looking at when a SG-type "leads" an NBA Champ, we have... Jordan (27, 28, 29, 32, 33, 34), Wade (24), Pierce/Allen (31), and Kobe (30, 31). The simple average of those years is an age of 29.9... so if you are going to build a team around a SG, it seems wise to build it around a 30-year old... with Wade at age 29, this is a perfect pick. Wade sets me up to win it all right now... and he should be a great piece for the next 3 to 5 years. After that, the deep pockets of my Russian-billionaire-owner will take care of acquiring the next big star.

SKIP
Skippyoz
College Captain
College Captain

Cafe Writer
Posts: 490
(Past Year: 20)
Joined: 7 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Draft Discussion

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:55 pm

silentjim wrote:
jackie hayes wrote:What are the rules on time limits, given that it started early? The rules thread says this:

When does this thing start?

July 23, 2010 (Friday), Noon EST.


Which is just a bit past. But it's been 12 hours since the last pick.

I'm up next, but it seems fair to give Sabonis at least until 12 hours past the 'official' start time. But if someone is going to jump in and pick ahead of me, I'll just make a pick. Clarification from the refs, please?


The draft has technically not started yet, you are correct. You need to wait until midnight tonight before you can make your pick. ;-D

+1.
Image
RedHopeful
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18252
(Past Year: 603)
Joined: 11 Jul 2007
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: http://twitter.com/Redhopeful

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Reshuffle II

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues



Get Ready...
The 2014 NBA season starts in 6:16 hours
(and 58 days)


  • Fantasy Basketball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact