Draft Discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Reshuffle II

Draft Discussion

Moderators: silentjim, RedHopeful, mbuser, jphanned

Re: Draft Discussion

Postby jackie hayes » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:38 pm

Not picking again until late in the second, so I wanted a safe pick, and preferably a center. Only 22 yo, no nagging health issues, and by some measures, very few centers have had better seasons at 21. Plug him in the lineup and forget about it for the next decade.

I'm not really sure how the draft will work out -- if people go for immediate production, or go young. I think this way I can take whichever route offers more value -- I have a strong young player who's still capable of winning now. His ceiling isn't as high as some, but -- not having a pick for about 45 turns -- floor was just as important to me.
jackie hayes
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby So-Tex » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:53 pm

dcdoorknob wrote:That said, when KalElen mentioned that Dwight might be the only C taken in the first round, my first thought was that there was no way Brook Lopez doesn't go 1st round.

I would have taken him if anyone else hadn't. Of course, I'm picking 18th, so by the time it gets to me (and those around me) there aren't many "superstars" left. Maybe "Dynasty builders" is a better way of explaining it - there may be a few guys left who are in "Win now" mode, like you guys were talking about earlier. ;-)
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 181)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby hi chi » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:17 pm

I really like the Lopez pick for many of the reasons the Howard pick was popular in the first reshuffle. Lopez has shown he can play offense at a mid-high level, has no significant injury issues, is a solid defender, and has the chance to be arguably the best big man in the NBA with some small improvements over the next 4 years. Picking him in the top 10 seems like a no-brainer to me. He is a good guy to build a team around and can be an anchor in the paint on a good shooting championship team.
hi chi
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 131)

Postby thejusman1 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:17 pm

Deron's only 26 and can compete with CP3 as the best PG in the league. A lot of good choices remaining at the 9th pick, but DWill just screams must-draft here.
thejusman1
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Postby So-Tex » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:39 pm

That pick's...interesting...to say the least.

Without being able to say much else about other players still on the board, I don't necessarily like it. From a fantasy perspective it might make more sense. But remember, even as with the Lopez pick, we're trying to build teams around a "real-life" scenario. And as you said, there are more guys to be had here - I just think you have to keep in mind the "what if" factor. "What if" Brook Lopez were in a system where everything offensively ran through him? He might be more of a force than he is in New Jersey running in their current system.

Now, I'm not saying Lopez would break out if he ended up with another team in real life. But there are other players on the board with the potential to just explode if they weren't in the current "real life" situations they are in now. Is that making any sense?

And don't get me wrong - I'm not knocking the pick or anything. It's simply why I like the Lopez reach better than I like this pick.

But to each his own - we all have a plan, right? ;-D
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby thejusman1 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:58 pm

So-Tex wrote:That pick's...interesting...to say the least.

Without being able to say much else about other players still on the board, I don't necessarily like it. From a fantasy perspective it might make more sense. But remember, even as with the Lopez pick, we're trying to build teams around a "real-life" scenario. And as you said, there are more guys to be had here - I just think you have to keep in mind the "what if" factor. "What if" Brook Lopez were in a system where everything offensively ran through him? He might be more of a force than he is in New Jersey running in their current system.

Now, I'm not saying Lopez would break out if he ended up with another team in real life. But there are other players on the board with the potential to just explode if they weren't in the current "real life" situations they are in now. Is that making any sense?

I guess that's why I like the Lopez reach better than I like this pick. But to each his own. We all have a plan, right? ;-D

I don't really understand how D-Will is a bad pick, but to each his own. He's an incredible play-maker and is absolutely a Top-10 real life player. He's not just a good "fantasy player," he's considered by many as one of the top 2-3 PGs in the league.
thejusman1
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Postby plonden » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:26 am

IMHO Deron is currently the second best point guard in the league and seeing him go ninth overall is not surprising at all. He is good offensively and defensively, which is what you want out of a top ten pick. I pretty much expected he'd be taken right around tenth overall as well, as he was taken ninth overall two years ago when this exercise was done the first time.
plonden
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby jackie hayes » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:54 am

I was thinking about Deron. That pick doesn't seem unusual to me. One of my favorite players in the league.
jackie hayes
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby So-Tex » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:09 am

I guess my sentiment really didn't come through as well in my post.

I'm not saying it was a bad pick at all (which is why I said I wasn't knocking it) - I just think there were other options there that I would have considered before Deron. Of course, I'm drafting with a different idea in mind (which is why I'm disappointed that Lopez went where he did - probably would have gone before my turn anyway).

But still a solid pick to say the least - just a pick that I wouldn't have made. ;-7
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby thejusman1 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:49 am

For me, it was between Melo and Deron. In the end, I considered an elite PG just much scarcer to replace than an elite forward. I know elite big men are the foundation for any successful championship NBA squad, but sometimes pure talent and age has to win out over position. The elite PF/C left are getting up there in age, with the exception of a few, and those few don't excite me as much as Deron/Melo. As much as I like Dirk and other big men equatable to his talent, they are all in their prime/end-of-prime for their careers. Deron and Melo are young enough that we could still see some improvements to their game. There's a slew of interesting big men on the up and up I'm hoping to nab in the 2nd.
thejusman1
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Reshuffle II