Draft Discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Reshuffle II

Draft Discussion

Moderators: silentjim, RedHopeful, mbuser, jphanned

Re: Draft Discussion

Postby geodbear » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:15 am

It will be interesting to see where the big men go. The general simplification for building a championship is start with one of the three: (1) get a superstar (Durant, Lebron, Kobe, Wade), (2) get a dominant PG (Paul, Williams) in his prime, or (3) get a dominant big (Howard, Lopez) in his prime, which has happened in the top 10. Melo and Dirk are close for (1), but then it gets after the first 8 selected, it gets tough, and I'm not certain I'd put Lopez in the dominant big slot. There are some potential dominant bigs/PGs and aging dominant bigs/PGs to go. Kobe I guess would aging superstar at this point.
Yes, Warriors sold at last!
geodbear

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 219)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby sabonis » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:46 am

I was shocked to see Lopez go that early. there are at least 4 or 5 bigs that should go before him.

if my pick wasn't late, I was probably gonna decide between Deron and Carmelo.
Last edited by sabonis on Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
sabonis
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Grounded Polo » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:19 am

Did I really miss Melo by 1 pick? :~(

Melo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lopez to me really. Getting a legit center is nice but he still plays no defense and Melo is a rare franchise player who can be the best player on a championship team.

Now I have to settle for the best second banana since Scottie. :-{
Grounded Polo
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 21)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RedHopeful » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:33 am

Don't have a problem with really any of the picks since Lopez. Those that are really concerned with Dirk should take into account his game translates very well for an over the prime player. I don't see any reason why he won't be among the league's best for another 3 years.

Just a couple of notes:

1) Make sure everyone has a roster created in the appropriate thread.

2) There has to be somebody willing to trade teams with Neato so that he doesn't have to continue to spit all over the Boston Celtics. O:-)
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 601)

Postby jackie hayes » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:11 am

If I knew that pick would cause so much gnashing of teeth...I would have made an even bigger deal of it. :-D

Melo's great, but he hasn't pushed a strong Denver cast as far I'd like to see. Lopez is a legit big with no history of health problems who's already producing big at 21. I don't see him as a superstar, but I think all the proven young superstars were off the board already. It was old top-tier, youngish second-tier, and unproven young. Getting maybe the most proven (health as well as production) young guy at the most difficult position to fill really doesn't strike me as controversial.

Then, I also may value center more than most. Howard was my slam dunk #3 pick.
jackie hayes
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Skippyoz » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:18 am

I like the Dirk and Gasol picks back-to-back. Interesting discussion could evolve as both are foreign-born power forwards. Both are worthy this high in the first round. The questions becomes: do you prefer the inside to slightly outside game of Gasol, or the outside to slightly inside game of Dirk? I would have gone with Gasol, only because he is literally coming off of 2 straight championships. When Dirk found himself in that position, he fell just a few games short.

SKIP
Skippyoz
College Captain
College Captain

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 20)

Postby Skippyoz » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:20 am

thejusman1 wrote:Deron's only 26 and can compete with CP3 as the best PG in the league. A lot of good choices remaining at the 9th pick, but DWill just screams must-draft here.

I like CP3, but I would take Deron over him 4 times out of 5. Especially after these past few weeks, where CP3 wants out of N.O.

SKIP
Skippyoz
College Captain
College Captain

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 20)

Postby KalElen » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:16 pm

ok i have to admit i forgot about brook. he is definitely top 30 in my book, but not top 10. deron was a no-brainer as far as i'm concerned. i have both him and cp3 in 5-10 range. gasol went a little earlier then i expected, but not too much

things are getting interesting now. i think i can predict next 4-5 picks, but after that things are gonna be wide open
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby hi chi » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:44 pm

Bosh is a no-brainer pick at the 12 spot. He is top 10 in points, top 10 in boards, can play the 4 or the 5 to give the Bobcats some flexibility, can pick-and-roll or pick-and-pop with his 19 footers from anywhere on the court, can play inside (decent set of post moves) or outside, is one of the quickest bigs around (so you can build an uptemo team around him), he has also established that he can play on a slower paced team as a more traditional big man, is a great character guy, no serious previous injuries, and at only 26 will be entering the prime of his career giving the Bobcats a chance to win now and in the future. Of all the players left to consider at the 12 spot he is the one with the fewest holes in his game and has a significant amount of gas left in his tank. One of the concerns with Bosh is that he is not an elite defender, but he isn't as soft as some of the options left to pick at this point of the draft and interior toughness can be made up with role players later in the draft. Overall, I am very happy to get Bosh at the 12 spot.
hi chi
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 130)

Postby hi chi » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:51 pm

Skippyoz wrote:
thejusman1 wrote:Deron's only 26 and can compete with CP3 as the best PG in the league. A lot of good choices remaining at the 9th pick, but DWill just screams must-draft here.

I like CP3, but I would take Deron over him 4 times out of 5. Especially after these past few weeks, where CP3 wants out of N.O.

SKIP

The fact that CP3 wants out of N.O. is a non-factor in my opinion as long as his motivation is to win. CP3 is one of the most competitive guys in the league and N.O. has failed miserably in building a team that is a lock for the playoffs around him. He doesn't want to waste his best years playing with a 2nd rate supporting cast and who can really blame him? The biggest knock on Chris Paul is his health, but Deron is not exactly an ironman either. At this point CP3 is still the guy to have, but not by that much.
hi chi
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 130)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Reshuffle II