Draft Commentary - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to 2010 Mock Draft

Draft Commentary

Moderator: jphanned

Draft Commentary

Postby jphanned » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:11 am

The draft will commence on Monday, August 2. Let's get this thing started. ;-D

Just a refresher for the returners and a note to the new guys -- because this mock draft is used primarily as a learning tool (for both the guys drafting and the viewers), the mentioning of undrafted players is perfectly fine. Feel free to talk about who else you were considering at your spot, how Player A will affect Player B's value, or anything else along those lines.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Draft Commentary

Postby plonden » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:58 pm

Congrats on first pick overall, Oleh. I've got the 12/13 turn. Going to be interesting to see who falls to me there.
plonden
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby RedHopeful » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:36 pm

plonden wrote:Congrats on first pick overall, Oleh.

Bah - I'd like to trade the pick in for a league that counts! ;-7
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 641)

Postby KalElen » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:26 am

are you guys planning on playing this out, like we did last year? i'm looking to cut down on actual leagues played, so i'm not sure i'm gonna be able to play this league beyond the draft
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby jphanned » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:00 am

KalElen wrote:are you guys planning on playing this out, like we did last year? i'm looking to cut down on actual leagues played, so i'm not sure i'm gonna be able to play this league beyond the draft

Started a poll here. ;-D
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby deadshot11 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:50 pm

Just got back in to town, and looks we're starting right off! Looking forward to it.

Though not exactly looking forward to making the 4th pick. Not a fun one this year...
deadshot11
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 24)

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:09 pm

Completely agree with the top 4 so far. ;-D
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 641)

Postby Celticsfan3519 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:22 pm

Deadshot said that he was dreading the 4 pick originally but then came to realize that Dirk's the clear pick there. I tend to agree - especially in a roto league, where Dirk's incredibly consistent game and lack of true weakness is awesome. I'd much rather hate to have the 5th pick this year, where it seems like any number of guys could be justified with the pick.
Celticsfan3519
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby deadshot11 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:42 pm

Yeah, after I actually sat down to consider all the options individually there, it became easier. It's not that Dirk's improved, because he's actually on the decline. But it's the fact that everyone is losing value faster than him, while Dirk's situation is pretty much unchanged.

I think a lot of the uncertainty in the first couple rounds this year comes more so from how many of the top 25 or so fantasy players are on the decline, and exactly how far they will decline, and less so from guessing where new emerging fantasy studs will push their way in. That's due partially to the uncertain fantasy results of the Miami 3, and also the fact that a lot of the top 25 have been there for a long time, and age has to catch up with them eventually.

Though obviously, if some of the perennial top 25 fall out, someone's going to come in to take their place.
deadshot11
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:30 pm

Really don't like the 7th spot this year, going a few picks later would be fine.

Curry was too ridiculous last year to pass up.
Grounded Polo
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to 2010 Mock Draft