Discussion Board - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Zombie Ballers 2010

Discussion Board

Moderator: CurryPork

Re: Discussion Board

Postby jonboy418 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:06 pm

A couple thoughts on draft order:

I think the #2 pick is by far the easiest choice to have. You're getting either Durant or Lebron, and allowing the #1 pick to make that choice for you. Can't lose in either choice.

From there, picks 3-5 seem to be pretty set. Depending on personal preference, the order may change, but I think you're looking at the same 3 guys going.

From picks 6-8, you get the drop-off to players with significant injury risk, but the potential to earn top-3 production.

Pick 9 is when the drop off occurs. I would hate to be pick 9. There's so much uncertainty in that spot. You can go risky for upside, or safe with a known commodity. The potential to get a top-5 player is remote, in my opinion.
jonboy418
Playground Pundit
Playground Pundit

(Past Year: 24)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby meiklwhite » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:56 pm

I don't see the potential for a top3 finish in picks 6-8. You're probably thinking about Love, Westbrook and Rose here but I doubt one of them can crack the obvious top5 if everyone stays healthy. Love in my opinion is the only one who could do it, but I still think the other 5 are better.
meiklwhite
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 68)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby FireBaller » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:14 pm

curry 2 yrs in a row where u got the last pick!

i think last pick is fine in a snake draft.

Not sure how I feel about my 6 slot.
KobeShow08
FireBaller
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 38)

Postby CurryPork » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:23 pm

Picking 12th sucks.

To keep this going. WET made his pick sent to me via PM.

FYI, post your own picks if you can. PM the next manager. If the next manager prefers text, then coordinate among yourselves.
CurryPork
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 92)

Postby jonboy418 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:09 am

meiklwhite wrote:I don't see the potential for a top3 finish in picks 6-8. You're probably thinking about Love, Westbrook and Rose here but I doubt one of them can crack the obvious top5 if everyone stays healthy. Love in my opinion is the only one who could do it, but I still think the other 5 are better.

I definitely don't want to give names away before they are drafted, but you mention "they" can't crack the top 5 if everyone stays healthy. Well, let's remove Durant and Lebron, since they are obviously 1a and 1b.

CP3 has had health issues in the recent past. Stephan Curry has not been deemed an iron man either. Harden is perhaps the most enigmatic player. How will D12 affect him? Can he continue to last at the high level?

There is a reason why those three are considered in the 3-5 slot, ahead of a Love, Westbrook and Rose. Those three are coming off injuries this past season, versus past seasons.

My point is who can deliver top three production if one ahead of them falters. I would give the nod to Westbrook and Love over the likes of LMA, or Marc Gasol, or Ibaka, or Carmelo or....
jonboy418
Playground Pundit
Playground Pundit

Postby meiklwhite » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:27 am

You're probably right, that those three have the best chance.

But we were talking about the difficulty of the drafting positions in the firt round. Of course you'll probably get a better player at 6 (at least in your eyes) than at 10, but my point was that I think the options and the fact that you get two picks close to each other make the later picks in the first more desireable in my eyes than the middle picks.
meiklwhite
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 68)

Postby jonboy418 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:57 pm

In the recent podcast from Basketball Monster, Justin and Matt discussed the absolute disconnect from Durant and Lebron from the rest of the league.

Basically the gist was that either Durant or Lebron coupled with a player ranked around 200 was better than the players ranked 12 and 13. Granted, they are discussing from a roto standpoint, but that is absolutely amazing that the first two picks of any draft have that much of an advantage.

The only way to combat that is to hope for one of those risky picks to perform at what they are capable of. Kevin Love at his best would easily beat LMA. But LMA has outperformed Love the past two years. Look at Steph Curry from last season...
jonboy418
Playground Pundit
Playground Pundit

Postby CurryPork » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:16 am

Well, so much for "keep the draft at a good pace"...

We've had a 24 hour limit on previous drafts, but it dragged too long and people were loosing interests by the middle of the draft. So we decided to make it a 12 hour limit after the first 2 rounds. I want to feel some opinions on this because I'm sure some here will miss the 12 hour time frame and then there will be some unhappy managers.

Will it be better if the first 4 rounds were in the 24 hour time frame and then after that it'll become the 12 hour time limit? You can build the identity of your team in the first 4 rounds.
CurryPork
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 92)

Postby puckkeith » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:28 am

I would say 6 hour limit. But to be fair...12 hour limit sounds good. We all know how this goes. Even the guys I brought in have done these type drafts before. 12 hours is legit. No matter that is going on, you can check in once in 12 hours.

Just my 2 cents.

kp
puckkeith
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 36)

Postby CurryPork » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:16 am

Nothing to see here
CurryPork
College Captain