2012/13 season discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2012/13 season discussion

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby barrec » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:19 am

scully19 wrote:
silentjim wrote:Additionally, scully and everyone, you might want to take a look at rookie contracts from previous seasons. In our old set of rules there were 3rd and 4th year team options on players in the first round, but now we are only offering a third year option. Make sure to check players you've drafted in the past for this.

I'm almost positive that is not the case. The way it was the 4th year was considered the qualifying offer you had to make in order to retain that player. The 3rd year was the player option. I had the whole thing set up that way before.

So what about 2nd year rookies this year? I have a 2nd year rookie on the books now (assuming I had to keep him), but now rules state the contract is only one year guaranteed. Should he be a FA now?
Irony is the strongest force in the universe.
barrec
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 88)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby scully19 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:23 am

Rules now are 0 years guaranteed for a 2nd round draft pick now. Just take care of that first.

Also, I am not as positive on this, but I think it was only 1 year guaranteed last year.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 195)

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:01 am

Unless someone wants to overrule me on this, I'm just going to go ahead and tell you that if you that if you had guaranteed years on a guy under the old CBA that will continue to be the case. Call it a grandfather clause. New rules shouldn't screw anyone out of existing contracts.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 410)

Postby DVauthrin » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:03 am

Andrei Kirilenkos auction was cancelled because:

DVauthrin wrote:This auction is being cancelled because Kirilenko is still playing in Russia right now. If he leaves his Russian team before Christmas we will start this auction over with him as an unrestricted FA. if he stays in Russia past the start of the season he will be classified as a restrIcted FA owned by red.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 166)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DVauthrin » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:04 am

Fenris-77 wrote:Unless someone wants to overrule me on this, I'm just going to go ahead and tell you that if you that if you had guaranteed years on a guy under the old CBA that will continue to be the case. Call it a grandfather clause. New rules shouldn't screw anyone out of existing contracts.

I agree with you 100%. On rookies with 4 year contracts, the fourth year becomes the team option and RFA year.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 166)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby barrec » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:06 am

Fenris-77 wrote:Unless someone wants to overrule me on this, I'm just going to go ahead and tell you that if you that if you had guaranteed years on a guy under the old CBA that will continue to be the case. Call it a grandfather clause. New rules shouldn't screw anyone out of existing contracts.

That's what I would think. And that was how the old rules were structured, right? 2nd rounders had a contract for a second year?
Irony is the strongest force in the universe.
barrec
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 88)

Postby scully19 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:30 am

DVauthrin wrote:

I agree with you 100%. On rookies with 4 year contracts, the fourth year becomes the team option and RFA year.

I agree as well with you and Fenris. What I am saying is that I don't believe the old structure WAS 4 years, but 3 years, and the 4th year Kal claimed was actually the qualification offeryou would have to make if you wanted to keep that player as a RFA. I went through an ordeal with him because of me signing DeRozan to 5 mill 3 year deal so that it could be a 3 year deal so that it could have RFA (back when that was the rule and not changed later on me), and he told me that 3rd actually wasn't even the third year but the RFA qualification offer. Most people may not rememeber (or have even looked enough at it to care), but we held a vote about whether I should have the 3rd year on DeRozan instead of the RFA. It was during a group of votes.

This is why i removed the 4th year from everyone, why i had the 3rd year marked as green because that was the RFA year.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby silentjim » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:35 am

Here's what was written:

rookie scale:
1st pick 4.5M 5M [5.5M 6M if team option is exercised]
2nd pick 4M 4.5M [5M 5.5M if team option is exercised]
3rd pick 3.5M 4M [4.5M 5M if team option is exercised]
4th pick 3M 3.5M [4M 4.5M if team option is exercised]
5th pick 2.5M 3M [3.5M 4M if team option is exercised]
6th-10th picks 2M 2.5M [3M 3.5M if team option is exercised]
11th-16th picks 1M 1.5M [2M 2.5M if team option is exercised]
2nd rounders 500k [500k 750k if team option is exercised]

all former 1st round picks become restricted free agents after they complete the 3rd season of their rookie contracts (only possible if their team picked team option after 2nd season of the rookie contract)
all former 2nd round picks become restricted free agents after they complete the 2nd season of their rookie contracts (only possible if their team picked team option after 1st season of the rookie contract)

I think technically it says that the 4th year would be an RFA year, but then I don't know why it lists a 4th year salary in the option section of the salary.

Thoughts?
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 791)

Postby scully19 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:44 am

I agree entirely that it doesn't make sense, but this is what Kal meant with the rules and I'm pretty sure none of us actually realized it.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby silentjim » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:59 am

scully19 wrote:I agree entirely that it doesn't make sense, but this is what Kal meant with the rules and I'm pretty sure none of us actually realized it.

After reading it and thinking about it more, I think you're right. I think it would be 3 year total with a technical minimum 4th year RFA option that should start at that amount, which we don't have to use obviously.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 791)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap