2012/13 season discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2012/13 season discussion

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:19 am

What Kal meant and what that actually says may be two different things. I think everyone (mostly) thought we had 4 year rookie contracts with an RFA year after that, just like the NBA. Personally, I'm fine leaving it at that.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 410)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby scully19 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:24 am

Ya but we do everything shorter here. Max contracts are 4 years not 6. Rookie contracts are supposed to reflect that too so that there is more movement in our league with FA's to make it a little more active than the NBA
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 196)

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:53 am

scully19 wrote:Ya but we do everything shorter here. Max contracts are 4 years not 6. Rookie contracts are supposed to reflect that too so that there is more movement in our league with FA's to make it a little more active than the NBA

Sure, I get that. If we want current rookie scale to be a year shorter than that I'm ok with it. I was really talking about existing rookie scale guys, for whom the expectations are a little different.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 410)

Postby dasein » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:37 am

I know I thought we had rookies for 4 years under the old system, but am happy enough to drop everyone to 3yrs like scully has done (although it will personally benefit me if they stay at 4 :-D )

we probably just need an executive decision on this one.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 434)

Postby silentjim » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:42 am

Lets go with the three max and obviously having RFA rights to them when they do become free agents. That seems to be what the rule was meant to be and because we had all kinds of confusion with restricted free agency in the first place, let's keep this as simple and easy as possible. Scully already has it worked out that way too. :-D
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 792)

Postby DVauthrin » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:51 am

silentjim wrote:Lets go with the three max and obviously having RFA rights to them when they do become free agents. That seems to be what the rule was meant to be and because we had all kinds of confusion with restricted free agency in the first place, let's keep this as simple and easy as possible. Scully already has it worked out that way too. :-D

I agree with this.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 166)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby barrec » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:01 am

silentjim wrote:Lets go with the three max and obviously having RFA rights to them when they do become free agents. That seems to be what the rule was meant to be and because we had all kinds of confusion with restricted free agency in the first place, let's keep this as simple and easy as possible. Scully already has it worked out that way too. :-D

+1

silentjim wrote:Here's what was written:

rookie scale:
1st pick 4.5M 5M [5.5M 6M if team option is exercised]
2nd pick 4M 4.5M [5M 5.5M if team option is exercised]
3rd pick 3.5M 4M [4.5M 5M if team option is exercised]
4th pick 3M 3.5M [4M 4.5M if team option is exercised]
5th pick 2.5M 3M [3.5M 4M if team option is exercised]
6th-10th picks 2M 2.5M [3M 3.5M if team option is exercised]
11th-16th picks 1M 1.5M [2M 2.5M if team option is exercised]
2nd rounders 500k [500k 750k if team option is exercised]

all former 1st round picks become restricted free agents after they complete the 3rd season of their rookie contracts (only possible if their team picked team option after 2nd season of the rookie contract)
all former 2nd round picks become restricted free agents after they complete the 2nd season of their rookie contracts (only possible if their team picked team option after 1st season of the rookie contract)

I think technically it says that the 4th year would be an RFA year, but then I don't know why it lists a 4th year salary in the option section of the salary.

Thoughts?

Just to clarify about grandfathering in, since we don't have to exercise the option on 2nd rounders, could GMs officially unexercise that option now? Or has that time passed and it would be considered a waive?
Irony is the strongest force in the universe.
barrec
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 88)

Postby dasein » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:07 am

So they become RFAs after the 3rd year?
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 434)

Postby DVauthrin » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:09 am

barrec wrote:

+1

silentjim wrote:Here's what was written:

rookie scale:
1st pick 4.5M 5M [5.5M 6M if team option is exercised]
2nd pick 4M 4.5M [5M 5.5M if team option is exercised]
3rd pick 3.5M 4M [4.5M 5M if team option is exercised]
4th pick 3M 3.5M [4M 4.5M if team option is exercised]
5th pick 2.5M 3M [3.5M 4M if team option is exercised]
6th-10th picks 2M 2.5M [3M 3.5M if team option is exercised]
11th-16th picks 1M 1.5M [2M 2.5M if team option is exercised]
2nd rounders 500k [500k 750k if team option is exercised]

all former 1st round picks become restricted free agents after they complete the 3rd season of their rookie contracts (only possible if their team picked team option after 2nd season of the rookie contract)
all former 2nd round picks become restricted free agents after they complete the 2nd season of their rookie contracts (only possible if their team picked team option after 1st season of the rookie contract)

I think technically it says that the 4th year would be an RFA year, but then I don't know why it lists a 4th year salary in the option section of the salary.

Thoughts?

Just to clarify about grandfathering in, since we don't have to exercise the option on 2nd rounders, could GMs officially unexercise that option now? Or has that time passed and it would be considered a waive?

yes, but you would have to pay 25% of the salary they are owned this year, as they become a guaranteed contract the moment they stayed on your roster last season. it would cost owners .125M to waive those 2nd round rookies from last year.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby DVauthrin » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:11 am

dasein wrote:

So they become RFAs after the 3rd year?

correct. The 3rd year is a team option, and if the team picks it up and doesn't waive that rookie, they maintain RFA status heading into offseason free agency. the player ceases to be a RFA if they are waived at any point in their rookie contract, or if the team buys out their 3rd year option at 25% of the salary.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap