2012/13 season discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2012/13 season discussion

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:38 am

Since when does declining an team option cost 25% of that year's player salary? No offense, but that's just silly. You don't 'buy out' an option, you chose not to exercise it....
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 410)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby DVauthrin » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:11 am

Fenris-77 wrote:Since when does declining an team option cost 25% of that year's player salary? No offense, but that's just silly. You don't 'buy out' an option, you chose not to exercise it....

It depends if we want to classify rookies as having pure team options(no buyout needed) or something more like the options we are using for 2, 3, and 4 year veteran contracts. I was just applying the same rule we have on veteran contracts, if you want to void the final year of a 2 or 3 year contract, it costs you 25% of that years salary. If its a 4 year contract, and you want to void the 3rd and 4th year it costs the owner 50% of the 3rd year salary.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 166)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RocketsDWM » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:22 am

Fenris-77 wrote:Since when does declining an team option cost 25% of that year's player salary? No offense, but that's just silly. You don't 'buy out' an option, you chose not to exercise it....

;-D
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 145)

Postby dasein » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:29 am

DVauthrin wrote:

It depends if we want to classify rookies as having pure team options(no buyout needed) or something more like the team/player options we are using for 2, 3, and 4 year veteran contracts. I was just applying the same rule we have on veteran contracts, if you want to void the final year of a 2 or 3 year contract, it costs you 25% of that years salary. If its a 4 year contract, and you want to void the 3rd and 4th year it costs the owner 50% of the 3rd year salary.

yeah, we need to have a buyout for the veteren contracts, otherwise there would be no incentive to be judicious about contract length.

For the rookies, you could make the case that there be a true team option (no buyout for option year). It was just simpler to treat them all the same. At the end of the day it just comes down to vernacular. If we call them non-guaranteed years instead of team options, then the way we do it now makes sense.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 434)

Postby dasein » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:32 am

In other news, I updated the rules today.

- violation and penaltys section
- trade rules redone
- RFAs clarified
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 434)

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:41 pm

dasein wrote: yeah, we need to have a buyout for the veteren contracts, otherwise there would be no incentive to be judicious about contract length.

Of course we need this for veteran contracts. That was never in question.

dasein wrote: For the rookies, you could make the case that there be a true team option (no buyout for option year). It was just simpler to treat them all the same. At the end of the day it just comes down to vernacular. If we call them non-guaranteed years instead of team options, then the way we do it now makes sense.

We can call them snot stacks if you like, so long as they don't have a percentage buyout. :-b
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 410)

Postby DVauthrin » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:55 pm

Fenris-77 wrote:
dasein wrote: yeah, we need to have a buyout for the veteren contracts, otherwise there would be no incentive to be judicious about contract length.

Of course we need this for veteran contracts. That was never in question.

dasein wrote: For the rookies, you could make the case that there be a true team option (no buyout for option year). It was just simpler to treat them all the same. At the end of the day it just comes down to vernacular. If we call them non-guaranteed years instead of team options, then the way we do it now makes sense.

We can call them snot stacks if you like, so long as they don't have a percentage buyout. :-b

Dasein, just make rookies true team options(no buyout required) in the rules as this argument has gone on long enough. look at it this way, a rookie has no say in their first contract, so the team would have full autonomy
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 166)

Postby RedHopeful » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:26 pm

dasein wrote:In other news, I updated the rules today.

- violation and penaltys section
- trade rules redone
- RFAs clarified

:-) ;-D
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 708)

Postby silentjim » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:59 pm

I am not matching DeJuan Blair as a RFA. ;-D
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 794)

Postby So-Tex » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:50 pm

Hey guys!

Something I just thought about right now - I know the auctions have been going at a good pace and all, but the way things look, at least for me at the moment, I'm going to be cutting it real close to having the required 11 players on my roster come the 1st day of the season. Realistically, if I blow big chunks of my remaining salary cap space, I'll have to go for min. salary types to fill in my roster. And with the way the auctions are going with the players on the FA pool list, I'd pretty much have to wait until all those guys were cleared off before I could go after the min salary guys who are not on that list.

Of course, there still is some time, and I still may find a few players going at prices I would be able to afford. But I just wanted to bring up the possibility of that happening, so that everyone was aware I wasn't trying to spend myself out while coming in short of the required 11 players on my roster.
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 217)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap