2012/13 season discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2012/13 season discussion

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby silentjim » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:02 am

So-Tex wrote:How was the Brando Roy situation resolved, forgive my bad memory. I guess my only shot would be to argue whatever precedent was set there? :-?

Cnote amnestied him with our one time amnesty rule.

If it turns out Hayes needs surgery and is out for the season he would fit under the injured player exemption which would reduce his salary by 60%. Same as Jeff Green, except his is already a guarantee since he's been announced as out all year.

If Hayes or Green are done permanently and retire, you'd be correct in that it would take place only during the off season. I'd personally say if Hayes had to retire forever right now, that you could abandon his contract now since we are still in the off season. ;-D
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 791)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby scully19 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:05 am

This is what I meant. Thank you silent for being much more clear and concise than i could.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 195)

Postby So-Tex » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:14 am

silentjim wrote:
So-Tex wrote:How was the Brando Roy situation resolved, forgive my bad memory. I guess my only shot would be to argue whatever precedent was set there? :-?

Cnote amnestied him with our one time amnesty rule.

If it turns out Hayes needs surgery and is out for the season he would fit under the injured player exemption which would reduce his salary by 60%. Same as Jeff Green, except his is already a guarantee since he's been announced as out all year.

If Hayes or Green are done permanently and retire, you'd be correct in that it would take place only during the off season. I'd personally say if Hayes had to retire forever right now, that you could abandon his contract now since we are still in the off season. ;-D
scully19 wrote:This is what I meant. Thank you silent for being much more clear and concise than i could.

No, thank you BOTH for helping clarify things. ;-D

I agree with Jim's take, and I think it will probably be the injured player exemption which kicks in. If anything, I fear it'll be a situation similar to Green's, where he gets surgery now and misses this season, just so he could come back next year. If that's the case though, I might just keep him anyway, since I have him for a multi-year deal.

But if he does retire for good, maybe we should ask for THAT particular rule to be amended (Retired Player Option) to include any off-season, before or after. That would go a long way to helping not only my potential situation, but anyone else who should happen to get in the same boat in the future...as opposed to us always having to make "exceptions" every off-season. ;-)
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 217)

Postby RocketsDWM » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:29 am

I think if his NBA contract gets voided (and in Hayes case it did), then you should be able to void the contract. I think that rule needs to be amended.
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 144)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby silentjim » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:45 am

RocketsDWM wrote:I think if his NBA contract gets voided (and in Hayes case it did), then you should be able to void the contract. I think that rule needs to be amended.

I won't go as far as this because contracts could be voided for all kinds of reasons. I would say that if the Jeff Green owner wants to void his contract I'd be down with that and if Hayes is out the season I'd be ok with his contract being completely void too.

With the type of injury, the voided contracts, and the new real life contracts I could easily see how this could be an exception.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RedHopeful » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:52 am

I'm on board with Hayes/Green not costing anyone anything. We need to figure a good way to make it fit in our rules but I trust dasein will figure it out with ease. ;-D
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 703)

Postby So-Tex » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:10 am

Couple of things I'm seeing:

First, I've just taken another look at scully's sheet, and there is no owner for Green at the moment. He's a FA. Now, I don't know if he's on someone's "waived player" list, or if he just came off someone's roster - but on that front, there's really no worry.

Second is the time frame I would have to decide on Hayes. As of now, there's really no other news other than the fact that Hayes's contract was voided for medical reasons. Unlike Green, where we know he will need a surgical procedure and will be out, there's no telling if we'll find out before the start of the season, what Hayes has, or will have to do to get back with a team. All I would respectfully ask in that case, is to be given a fair amount of time to decide whether to hold on to him, drop him under one of the two provisions we've been discussing here, or void his contract outright (as Jim, Red and others have alluded to). Just a fair amount of time would be all I need, say, 24 to 48 hrs after we hear "officially" from Hayes's camp what he plans on doing.

Of course, if we were to hear from Hayes sooner, before the season starts, then I'd make the choice ASAP - before the season starts - since it could impact what I can do during the season regarding FA pickups.

But regardless, whatever we decide here I'll abide by, no questions asked. ;-D
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 217)

Postby DVauthrin » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:31 am

RedHopeful wrote:I'm on board with Hayes/Green not costing anyone anything. We need to figure a good way to make it fit in our rules but I trust dasein will figure it out with ease. ;-D

I agree with this 100%.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 166)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby silentjim » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:32 pm

So-Tex wrote:Couple of things I'm seeing:

First, I've just taken another look at scully's sheet, and there is no owner for Green at the moment. He's a FA. Now, I don't know if he's on someone's "waived player" list, or if he just came off someone's roster - but on that front, there's really no worry.

Second is the time frame I would have to decide on Hayes. As of now, there's really no other news other than the fact that Hayes's contract was voided for medical reasons. Unlike Green, where we know he will need a surgical procedure and will be out, there's no telling if we'll find out before the start of the season, what Hayes has, or will have to do to get back with a team. All I would respectfully ask in that case, is to be given a fair amount of time to decide whether to hold on to him, drop him under one of the two provisions we've been discussing here, or void his contract outright (as Jim, Red and others have alluded to). Just a fair amount of time would be all I need, say, 24 to 48 hrs after we hear "officially" from Hayes's camp what he plans on doing.

Of course, if we were to hear from Hayes sooner, before the season starts, then I'd make the choice ASAP - before the season starts - since it could impact what I can do during the season regarding FA pickups.

But regardless, whatever we decide here I'll abide by, no questions asked. ;-D

I'm comfortable with you being able to drop him during the regular season and not losing anything if his scenario plays out until then. If it seems like he's just going to miss some time or ends up signing with another team, then obviously he's all yours. If it looks like he's going to miss x amount of games based on what is decided then obviously you could still use your injured player exemption if it appears it's not a whole season and whatever. Up to you, as I'm still pretty flexible on this situation. ;-D
silentjim

Postby silentjim » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:37 pm

Looks like everyone has the minimum 11 roster right now and there's only a few guys with bids on them currently. I think we need to stop off season free agency soon, my suggestion would be that if you still would like to nominate a player for your team, then you should do so sometime today, otherwise we need to finalize initial teams going into the Christmas day games. You could still nominate players obviously, you would just need to wait 48 hours. My suggestion would be that 7 day contracts aren't allowed until the actual season starts.
silentjim

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap