2012/13 season discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2012/13 season discussion

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby KalElen » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:58 pm

Markos wrote:But what I'm still concerned about is this; When a player's auction ends and a GM with bird rights retains him, are they then forced to replace the cap hold with the new salary immediately?

In the NBA I can add a FA with my cap space, and then use my bird rights on a player to exceed the soft cap. But I can't do it the other way around. I can still resign my own guy of course, but I can't then go out and offer the FA the same cash I could have in the previous scenario as I'm limited by the cap.

that depends on how big the hold is. if you have small hold and you want to resign a player to a significantly larger contract then yes, he's gonna eat your cap space and under current rules (both ours and nba's) that is unavoidable. if you want to resign a max player you lose nothing because he holds max cap hold. i understand why you don't like that rule, but what you are talking about has more to do with the order of bidding then it has with the bird rights and cap holds. in the nba you could try to convince one player who is up for a big pay raise to allow his team to use cap space and then use his bird rights, effectively removing him from the "bidding pool for other nba teams, though i don't actually remember that happening in recent years. if we were to simulate such a situation, it would essentially mean giving gm's additional protection on their bird rights fa's in the form of ability to postpone player's entering the bidding pool. i don''t like that idea because it complicates free agency significantly, but in my opinion it doesn't make it better. it will be heavily used here while it's rarely used in the nba (i really can't remember last time something like that has happened) so it doesn't even lead to more realistic experience.
allowing gm to sign a bird rights player, but not count him towards cap is not fair to other gm's bidding on him, who would have to have him against their caps and to a degree defeats the purpose of having cap holds and bird rights as they stand today
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby scully19 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Markos you seem to be missing it here, the NBA's hold on a player is actually up to 300% of their final year contract or something to that nature.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q31

They even include raises for players, and at a modest amount as well. It basically forces teams to deal with their own players first. If you are looking to have cap space then you need to release players of their rights to get it because they are holding a fair amount of space. If you have 10 mill cap space and a player's rights for 5 mill then you can still sign a FA for the other 5 mill without releasing the player's rights you own, but anything over 5 and you are going to need to deal with the other player (be it sign them for less than their hold or just go ahead and release them).

If we allowed it to work the other way, every team would be at the hard cap all the time because it would be easy to spend money on everyone, it would drive prices up on every player. This is why the NBA has the rule the way they do, so the owners don't have to pay too much for talent and end up not being able to afford the running of the team and give far too large an advantage to the teams with big banks.

PS: read question 32 and 33 right after the above link as well.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 196)

Postby hi chi » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:45 am

Thanks for all the info. on bird rights. Reading all the answers put up here helped me with a few questions that I had. ;-D
hi chi
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 132)

Postby Markos » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:46 pm

Likewise

I have to admit I had a flawed idea of how the salary cap worked, glad I am learning this stuff now.
Eradicating Marijuana one blunt at a time
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 5)

Postby scully19 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:11 pm

So since we are talking about bird rights right now, I figure we introduce that a little. NBA you need a 3 year contract to hold bird rights of a player. I figure here we have a min 2 year contract.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby KalElen » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:46 pm

scully19 wrote:So since we are talking about bird rights right now, I figure we introduce that a little. NBA you need a 3 year contract to hold bird rights of a player. I figure here we have a min 2 year contract.

we voted on that last year and the league decided on 1 year. i guess we could vote again since there are 7 new guys, but it can't be put into practice retroactively which means 1 year will be in power this year and next year at the least
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby scully19 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:49 pm

I assumed as much.

Also, Kal go check out some google docs I made for my team:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... y=CM7T_4IJ

May want to use this for the group thing to make it easier for you. You can upload ones already made, so it should be easy to turn that into a group thing.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby KalElen » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:59 pm

scully19 wrote:I assumed as much.

Also, Kal go check out some google docs I made for my team:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... y=CM7T_4IJ

May want to use this for the group thing to make it easier for you. You can upload ones already made, so it should be easy to turn that into a group thing.

thanx, i'll take a look at it, probably tomorrow. it would definitely be much easier to edit online file then to have to edit and then upload and then post a new link every time ;-D
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Trades 2010/2011

Postby So-Tex » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:31 am

dch17 wrote:DV is getting around isn't he? ;-)

Is this some kind of record? I wouldn't know since I'm a noob to this league... :-B
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 217)

Postby Markos » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:52 am

In the league I commish I'm maintaining all official rosters and draft pick rights on one spreadsheet file here;

https://spreadsheets1.google.com/ccc?ke ... 3fA#gid=19

Check it out, the initial page is just the draft rights, below that you can see the links to all 18 teams salary details. There is no going back
Eradicating Marijuana one blunt at a time
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 5)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap