2012/13 season discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2012/13 season discussion

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby So-Tex » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:14 pm

Don't get me wrong...I DO appreciate the rewarding of JJ Barea, and all...but, aren't we supposed to be waiting for 48 hours? :-S

Just want to make sure everyone has a fair chance. ;-D
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 217)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby RedHopeful » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:53 am

So-Tex wrote:Don't get me wrong...I DO appreciate the rewarding of JJ Barea, and all...but, aren't we supposed to be waiting for 48 hours? :-S

Oh craaaaaaaaaaapppppp. Forgot that tidbit. Swear I'm just not going to do anything anymore as I fear I'll make another mistake. :-P
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 703)

Postby DVauthrin » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:06 am

RedHopeful wrote:
So-Tex wrote:Don't get me wrong...I DO appreciate the rewarding of JJ Barea, and all...but, aren't we supposed to be waiting for 48 hours? :-S

Oh craaaaaaaaaaapppppp. Forgot that tidbit. Swear I'm just not going to do anything anymore as I fear I'll make another mistake. :-P

No worries, Red. Don't stop helping supervise this league and forum just because you made a mistake. I appreciate all your hard work.

Anyways, I just put all the players back on the forum for auction and the auctions will extend for 12 hours beyond their expected finishing times to make up for time lost by being pulled.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 166)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby So-Tex » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:20 am

DVauthrin wrote:
RedHopeful wrote:

No worries, Red. Don't stop helping supervise this league and forum just because you made a mistake. I appreciate all your hard work.

Anyways, I just put all the players back on the forum for auction and the auctions will extend for 12 hours beyond their expected finishing times to make up for time lost by being pulled.

Fair enough by me! ;-D

@ Scully: noticed you already added Barea to my roster on the spreadsheet. Keep an eye out in case that changes in a day or so. ;-)
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby scully19 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:53 pm

K so I needed to reprogram my spreadsheet so that when someone waived a player that had our new partially guaranteed contracts applied to them that they have the proper calculations done to them. So I went over the rules and wanted to bring something up.

Every year there is a partially guaranteed contract it is at a value of 25% the contract year value. Every year except the 3rd year of a 4 year contract. That value is 50% and to me is a little pointless. We can get that value by waiving a player at the end of the season the year before. It's really just letting you waive them a couple months later. I don't think this is worth it. A 4 year contract means that this is pretty much 10-20 mill for this year, so it will still be a waived value of 2.5-5 mill, which is still a fair hit, yet also allows for quicker rebuilding from a horrible decision on a 4 year contract. It also makes programming much more complicated :P

I vote on changing all partially guaranteed contracts to 25%.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 195)

Postby DVauthrin » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:33 pm

scully19 wrote:K so I needed to reprogram my spreadsheet so that when someone waived a player that had our new partially guaranteed contracts applied to them that they have the proper calculations done to them. So I went over the rules and wanted to bring something up.

Every year there is a partially guaranteed contract it is at a value of 25% the contract year value. Every year except the 3rd year of a 4 year contract. That value is 50% and to me is a little pointless. We can get that value by waiving a player at the end of the season the year before. It's really just letting you waive them a couple months later. I don't think this is worth it. A 4 year contract means that this is pretty much 10-20 mill for this year, so it will still be a waived value of 2.5-5 mill, which is still a fair hit, yet also allows for quicker rebuilding from a horrible decision on a 4 year contract. It also makes programming much more complicated :P

I vote on changing all partially guaranteed contracts to 25%.

The partially guaranteed buyout is only allowed the offseason prior to years 3 or 4. Waiving someone in the offseason prior to the 3rd year of a 4 year contract is a one time hit that buys out the final two years of the contract, not just one. For example it costs me 10M total to buy out steph curry's final two years, but 5M to buy out the final year. If you want to make it 25% of the year 3 salary, and 25% of the year 4 salary to make life simpler in the spreadsheet, go ahead, because it's the same thing.

If a player gets waived during the season, the 75%, 50% rule applies. You lose the right to buyout the partially guaranteed year at that point. So if I cut curry during the 2nd season while games are played, I'd owe 40M(15M year 2, 10M year 3, 10M year 4). If I buyout years 3 and 4 in the offseason following the 2nd season, it costs me a one time 10M total hit.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby So-Tex » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:42 pm

DVauthrin wrote:If a player gets waived during the season, the 75%, 50% rule applies. You lose the right to buyout the partially guaranteed year at that point. So if I cut curry during the 2nd season while games are played, I'd owe 40M(15M year 2, 10M year 3, 10M year 4). If I buyout years 3 and 4 in the offseason following the 2nd season, it costs me a one time 10M total hit.

Sorry to jump in with a qustion here, but just to be clear, you can only do one or the other right? In other words, you can't waive a player, then buyout the last year or two of the waived years. It's either hold, and buyout in year's 3 or 4, or waive and take the 75/50% hits. That's how I'm understanding this, but just want to make sure I'm on the same page.
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby scully19 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:50 pm

DVauthrin wrote:
The partially guaranteed buyout is only allowed the offseason prior to years 3 or 4. Waiving someone in the offseason prior to the 3rd year of a 4 year contract is a one time hit that buys out the final two years of the contract, not just one. For example it costs me 10M total to buy out steph curry's final two years, but 5M to buy out the final year. If you want to make it 25% of the year 3 salary, and 25% of the year 4 salary to make life simpler in the spreadsheet, go ahead, because it's the same thing.

If a player gets waived during the season, the 75%, 50% rule applies. You lose the right to buyout the partially guaranteed year at that point. So if I cut curry during the 2nd season while games are played, I'd owe 40M(15M year 2, 10M year 3, 10M year 4). If I buyout years 3 and 4 in the offseason following the 2nd season, it costs me a one time 10M total hit.

Wait, so it wouldn't be the same thing I don't think. The way I'm understanding it is that you would take a cap hit of 50% year 3 salary in that year and have nothing against the cap in year 4?
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 195)

Postby DVauthrin » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:56 pm

So-Tex wrote:
DVauthrin wrote:If a player gets waived during the season, the 75%, 50% rule applies. You lose the right to buyout the partially guaranteed year at that point. So if I cut curry during the 2nd season while games are played, I'd owe 40M(15M year 2, 10M year 3, 10M year 4). If I buyout years 3 and 4 in the offseason following the 2nd season, it costs me a one time 10M total hit.

Sorry to jump in with a qustion here, but just to be clear, you can only do one or the other right? In other words, you can't waive a player, then buyout the last year or two of the waived years. It's either hold, and buyout in year's 3 or 4, or waive and take the 75/50% hits. That's how I'm understanding this, but just want to make sure I'm on the same page.

Correct. You have to hold onto the player until the offseason to do the reduced buyout. If you waive them midseason, the 75%, 50% rule applies.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

Postby DVauthrin » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:01 am

scully19 wrote:
DVauthrin wrote:

Wait, so it wouldn't be the same thing I don't think. The way I'm understanding it is that you would take a cap hit of 50% year 3 salary in that year and have nothing against the cap in year 4?

The concept behind the current rule is if you cut them midseason, you are forfeiting the right to use the reduced buyout. At that point the old 75%, 50% in subsequent years contract cap hit takes place. I understand this isn't clear in the rules, and is a good topic for discussion.

In Curry's case it would be 35M rather than 40M as I did the math wrong.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap