2012/13 season discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2012/13 season discussion

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby 4ndrew » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:19 am

Ah, my apologies, I assumed (wrongly) that nsink had drafted him. My bad :)
4ndrew
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby dasein » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:29 am

DVauthrin wrote:It doesn't apply to 7 day contracts, only guys with full year contracts. Therefore it doesn't apply to Marshon Brooks. nsink used him as a 7 day contract, dropped him when the 7 days expired, then wanted to sign him to a guaranteed contract. Dasein couldn't have bid on him however, because he drafted brooks in our rookie draft and cut him like you did with Morris.

bah. don't remind me. I only did that drop to free space for the Tyrus Thomas bid that was deemed illegal anyway, making the drop a waste of time. :-[

Wonder how many managers would trade Brooks for Tyrus today? }:-)
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 433)

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:07 am

dasein wrote:Wonder how many managers would trade Brooks for Tyrus today? }:-)

No kidding. :-o
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 706)

Postby DVauthrin » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:15 am

with a 4-2 vote, the competition committee voted to allow owners to waive a player after signing a player that puts them over the roster limit.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 166)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RocketsDWM » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:55 am

Not to be a thorn in the side, but why are we making rule changes mid-season? If it was not in the rules prior to the season, then it should be allowed.
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 144)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dasein » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:22 am

RocketsDWM wrote:Not to be a thorn in the side, but why are we making rule changes mid-season? If it was not in the rules prior to the season, then it should be allowed.

You're right that changing rules mid-season is a bad idea. This doesn't really apply here though, as no rule has been changed

The rules were silent on the question before, but the question needed an answer. I'm not omniscient, so not every eventuality was included in the early draft. It's still a newish league and we twiddled with the rules in a big way at the start of this season so new issues will pop up from time to time. :-)
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby silentjim » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:45 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:Not to be a thorn in the side, but why are we making rule changes mid-season? If it was not in the rules prior to the season, then it should be allowed.

I don't technically think we're making rule changes mid season. I think we're just clarifying some of the existing rules.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 791)

Postby Fenris-77 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:34 am

silentjim wrote:

I don't technically think we're making rule changes mid season. I think we're just clarifying some of the existing rules.

And we\ll probably continue to do so all year. It's the nature of a rules set like the one we have that clarifications will need to be made on an ongoing basis. It's simply impossible to predict every situation and loophole.

Seeing as we're all a bunch of mature and reasonable fellows, and all looking to have a good time playing a game we all like, I'd assume this isn't a problem for anyone. :-D
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 410)

Postby So-Tex » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:16 pm

Something I just thought about while looking at my excel spreadsheet. I don't know if this has ever been brought up before, and I don't know if it's like this in the NBA ("real life") or not, but maybe we should consider a change to the salary cap rules and waived players, where if a player who's been waived by one team during the season gets picked up again during the same season, his contract with the former team immediately comes off the books.

For example, I had won an auction earlier this season for Carl Landry, where I paid 1M + .9M (2 years). A few weeks ago, I dropped him, so he immediately went to 75% and 50% of each of those years against my cap. Jim has recently won him in auction for a separate contract (haven't looked at the thread for the exact amount). Under the rule change I propose, since Landry got picked up again for a standard contract (not a 7-day) in the same season, his salary would come off of my books.

I don't know if anything like this exists in the NBA, and I can see where it wouldn't make "real life" sense. But I think it makes perfect sense for our particular league. Not all players that get waived are going to get resigned to standard contracts. And most of those players on the wire who are in between roster worthy and waiving are usually used for 7-day deals anyway, so it's not like managers would be getting that much of an advantage if the cap space was freed up in such a way.

Finally, this would only apply for a player who was picked up to a standard contract of one or more years - 7-day deals wouldn't count. So, for the example above, if Jim had just picked up Landry for a 7-day deal, and Landry was only used for 7-day deals the rest of the season, then I would still be on the hook for his entire contract, as per the current rules (75% + 50%).

Maybe we should even take it a step further, and consider it for players who get picked up during next year's off-season free agency period. Again, although it makes sense in "real life" (if someone owes you money, someone owes you money!), it just seems kind of silly here that we all have players on each of our "waived players" list who we're still paying for, some for multiple years, when those players are now with other teams.

I understand there's the whole angle about "accountability" being part of our game (you have to pay for dropping guys you signed, especially if you over paid for their contracts). But again, I think this just makes more sense for this particular league, considering how little cap space some of us have to work with during the season.

Just something to think about for the upcoming off-season. ;-)
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 217)

Postby dasein » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:37 am

I don't think I'd be for this idea. Here's an example of why:

My current contract for Felton is looking pretty bad. Under this rule, I could simply drop him and wait for someone else to sign him up, which would happen because he still has value. This would then give me 8M in cap space back. I get of scott free for handing out a bad contract. I don't think this makes sense for our league.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap