2012/13 season discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe


Return to FBC Salary Cap

2012/13 season discussion

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby RocketsDWM » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:51 am

So-Tex wrote:Another thought...

Maybe we sould consider getting rid of the 7 day contract altogether, and instead, amend the rules to state that any contract valued at under 1M dollars can be dropped without anything counting against a manager's salary cap.

Under the current rules, if you have a player signed for the year at, say .25M, and you decide to drop him later in the season, 75% of that .25M will count against your cap for the rest of the season. But, if you sign that player to a 7 day contract at .25M, it comes off your cap space as soon as the contract expires (if I remember correctly?).

With the change I propose, we would simply be able to sign a player using the same FA auction rules, BUT, if that contract came in under 1M dollars, it would not count against the manager's salary cap if he decided to drop that player later in the season. This way, all these piddly little point-something contracts wouldn't count against anyone's cap space for odd amounts (like .45, .38, .19, etc.). And to keep streaming in check, we simply adopt the same limit rule we have for 7 day contracts - 40 adds or drops during the regular season. And this would also allow those concerned to not have to worry about policing 7 day contracts (when a player was added, when he was dropped, etc.).

I'm just looking at my roster, and seeing things which really make little if any sense, especially when it comes to these small one or two year contracts for .25 to 1M dollars. I know it doesn't give anyone much in terms of cap space gained or anything like that. But, the same can be said in reverse - it doesn't mean much to have to count 75% of these particular deals. It just makes for more math and more spreadsheet work.

Again, I'm not making a crusade against 7 day contracts or anything like that. I myself don't use them, but I've got nothing in particular against them. Just trying to see if there's anything else we could do to streamline the whole process.


Very good proposal. Right now, I am saddled with injuries and useless rooks who should be on the waiver wire.
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain


Posts: 589
(Past Year: 144)
Joined: 10 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby 4ndrew » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:58 am

I agree, excellent idea So-Tex.
4ndrew
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster


Posts: 314
Joined: 23 Mar 2010
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby dasein » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:35 am

RocketsDWM wrote:
Very good proposal. Right now, I am saddled with injuries and useless rooks who should be on the waiver wire.


Why are you hanging onto players if you don't think they have value? If you think they're useless you're free to try and trade them, or flat out drop them if you think there are better options in the FA pool.

And we're all carrying injuries. Not much anyone can do about that. :-)
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

User avatar

Posts: 917
(Past Year: 434)
Joined: 19 Aug 2010
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby silentjim » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:12 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:
So-Tex wrote:Another thought...

Maybe we sould consider getting rid of the 7 day contract altogether, and instead, amend the rules to state that any contract valued at under 1M dollars can be dropped without anything counting against a manager's salary cap.

Under the current rules, if you have a player signed for the year at, say .25M, and you decide to drop him later in the season, 75% of that .25M will count against your cap for the rest of the season. But, if you sign that player to a 7 day contract at .25M, it comes off your cap space as soon as the contract expires (if I remember correctly?).

With the change I propose, we would simply be able to sign a player using the same FA auction rules, BUT, if that contract came in under 1M dollars, it would not count against the manager's salary cap if he decided to drop that player later in the season. This way, all these piddly little point-something contracts wouldn't count against anyone's cap space for odd amounts (like .45, .38, .19, etc.). And to keep streaming in check, we simply adopt the same limit rule we have for 7 day contracts - 40 adds or drops during the regular season. And this would also allow those concerned to not have to worry about policing 7 day contracts (when a player was added, when he was dropped, etc.).

I'm just looking at my roster, and seeing things which really make little if any sense, especially when it comes to these small one or two year contracts for .25 to 1M dollars. I know it doesn't give anyone much in terms of cap space gained or anything like that. But, the same can be said in reverse - it doesn't mean much to have to count 75% of these particular deals. It just makes for more math and more spreadsheet work.

Again, I'm not making a crusade against 7 day contracts or anything like that. I myself don't use them, but I've got nothing in particular against them. Just trying to see if there's anything else we could do to streamline the whole process.


Very good proposal. Right now, I am saddled with injuries and useless rooks who should be on the waiver wire.


I kind of like this as well and wouldn't mind considering implementing it for next season.
Image
silentjim
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 11484
(Past Year: 792)
Joined: 23 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: Fundamentals are the crutch of the talentless.

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:53 pm

I dunno. I kind of like our current 7 day contracts and the min contracts policies. W/o the 7 day contracts, teams that need help asap would have to wait a min of 48 hours before adding another player. Also, I'm not a fan that certain teams would stand to benefit from this rule. The ones loaded up with contracts under a 1 million suddenly have the best of both worlds. They would get to keep the players that live up to their talent (not to mention at a fantastic price) but rinse repeat and lather the guys who don't pan out. Thus, the team with a smallish high priced core is suddenly more attractive than the well thought out and balanced team.
Image
RedHopeful
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18233
(Past Year: 706)
Joined: 11 Jul 2007
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: http://twitter.com/Redhopeful

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby silentjim » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:50 pm

RedHopeful wrote:I dunno. I kind of like our current 7 day contracts and the min contracts policies. W/o the 7 day contracts, teams that need help asap would have to wait a min of 48 hours before adding another player. Also, I'm not a fan that certain teams would stand to benefit from this rule. The ones loaded up with contracts under a 1 million suddenly have the best of both worlds. They would get to keep the players that live up to their talent (not to mention at a fantastic price) but rinse repeat and lather the guys who don't pan out. Thus, the team with a smallish high priced core is suddenly more attractive than the well thought out and balanced team.


What about just having min contracts function as droppable without penalty then?
Image
silentjim
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 11484
(Past Year: 792)
Joined: 23 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: Fundamentals are the crutch of the talentless.

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby dasein » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:31 pm

silentjim wrote:
What about just having min contracts function as droppable without penalty then?


how many of those would be out there though? The only time you'd get them is when only one manager in the league thinks a player is worth a roster add. There would still need to be the 48hr auction period otherwise it would be first in like a standard league, which isn't what we want here. I feel like it would be such a rare event that it would be a bit pointless to make a special rule for it.

Also, is having 0.19M on the books for a dropped minimum guy really breaking your season? C'mon.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

User avatar

Posts: 917
(Past Year: 434)
Joined: 19 Aug 2010
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby So-Tex » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:34 pm

dasein wrote:Also, is having 0.19M on the books for a dropped minimum guy really breaking your season? C'mon.

It's not that it's breaking anyone's season. But I, for example, am .17M away from the hard cap, so basically, I can't pick up anyone until I drop another contract, even on a 7 day deal. As it is, I've already got two empty roster spots, so I'm only carrying 14 players, and that includes injured players and "projects" I might be holding on to. I've got five contracts (waived players this season) eating me up for 75% of this season and 50% next. Each of those is under 1M dollars (.25, .5, etc). If you take those off my books, I'd be 1.9M away from the hard cap. And then, players like Pekovic and Lin become accessible to me because I can at least bid on them up to 1.9M, before I hit the hard cap.

I basically alluded to the same thing you said earlier:

I know it doesn't give anyone much in terms of cap space gained or anything like that. But, the same can be said in reverse - it doesn't mean much to have to count 75% of these particular deals.

And I'll add to it, that for some of us who have multiple contracts like these on the books, that extra .75 to 1.5M could make a big difference in us making our teams better, at least for this year, maybe even next.
Image
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 1039
(Past Year: 217)
Joined: 19 Aug 2009
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: South Texas, USA

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby scully19 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:40 am

I'm cool with having any 1 year min contract being able to be dropped, because they are the same cost as a 7 day, but anything more gives too much leeway I think. It is a strategy to save some money to buy players during the season that breakout mid-season. I was somewhat in the same place as you, was at exactly the cap and couldn't buy anyone else, and only held 12 active players plus 1 overseas guy, so I dropped a player because it wasn't working for me and picked up 3 guys now so I stand a better chance.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach


Posts: 1338
(Past Year: 196)
Joined: 8 Aug 2009
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby silentjim » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:51 am

Yeah since we got rid of the soft cap and hard cap and thus don't have the MLE anymore, it does seem to make it hard for teams to bid decent amounts on good players. Having min contracts waived at no cost might be nice. I'd have to look at our real life situations to see how it would help and hurt people.
Image
silentjim
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 11484
(Past Year: 792)
Joined: 23 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: Fundamentals are the crutch of the talentless.

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues




  • Fantasy Basketball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact