2012/13 season discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2012/13 season discussion

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby Markos » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:17 am

Interesting final month of the season coming up, the current top 4 sides (theRobsays, snake, Red, Warriors) matchup a bunch of times. So do some of the teams 5th through 10th, with 4ndrew having a key matchup this week vs curry fryes before a relatively easy run home to make a push for the playoffs.

wk 18 - Red vs snake
wk 18 - 4ndrew vs Curry fryes

wk 19 - Red vs theRobsays
wk 19 - Balls2dawalls vs Green Rebels

wk 20 - GSW vs Snake
wk 20 - hi chi vs Green Rebels
wk 20 - Balls2dawalls vs curry fryes

wk 21 - GSW vs theRobsays
wk 21 - Red vs Green Rebels
wk 21 - hi chi vs Curry fryes
Eradicating Marijuana one blunt at a time
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby dasein » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:29 am

An FYI regarding Weekly Contracts.

There is a 24hr waiver period for this kind of contract. E.g. I have Eddy Curry on a WC that starts on Monday so I drop him on the Sunday. He cannot be picked up on another WC for 24hrs following this drop.

There are a couple reasons for this.
1. It stops the same team dropping a WC player, and immediately picking him up again. If this was allowed you could essentially keep players on unguaranted minimum contracts in perpetuity.
2. It gives everyone a chance to start an auction on that player. This is needed beacuse you can't start an auction while a player is under contract.

Actually, is there any reason why we don't just set waivers to 24hrs in the yahoo interface so people don't have to keep track of it manually?
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 433)

Postby So-Tex » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:07 pm

I'm curious about something. When is the "official" cutoff date for the 2012 Season - in other words, when does the 2012-13 off-season "officially" start? I'm assuming it's after the last game of the season, but is there a buffer between that game and when the "official" off-season starts?

I'm just wanting to know because I'm debating dropping a few players who will be in their second of three year deals, and I'm wondering if I should just take the 75% salary hit this season, as opposed to waiting until the off-season and taking the 75% hit on next year's cap. I've scanned over the rules, but didn't see anything referencing how long I had before I could drop those players.

I guess the real question I should be asking is when is the cutoff date for dropping players this season? If it's the last game of the year, I can wait until then to make the drops I want, and have them count 75% against my cap for this season. If it's sooner than that, though, I need to know so I can make a decision whether to just gut my roster to the legal minimum now, or wait until the off-season.

I may still hold on to the players I'm thinking of dropping - it's been such a squirrelly season this year, and the way things have been going, these guys may actually pan out next year and be worth something. I just have to figure out if it's worth it to me to hold on to them or not. :*)
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 217)

Postby silentjim » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:22 pm

So-Tex wrote:I'm curious about something. When is the "official" cutoff date for the 2012 Season - in other words, when does the 2012-13 off-season "officially" start? I'm assuming it's after the last game of the season, but is there a buffer between that game and when the "official" off-season starts?

I'm just wanting to know because I'm debating dropping a few players who will be in their second of three year deals, and I'm wondering if I should just take the 75% salary hit this season, as opposed to waiting until the off-season and taking the 75% hit on next year's cap. I've scanned over the rules, but didn't see anything referencing how long I had before I could drop those players.

I guess the real question I should be asking is when is the cutoff date for dropping players this season? If it's the last game of the year, I can wait until then to make the drops I want, and have them count 75% against my cap for this season. If it's sooner than that, though, I need to know so I can make a decision whether to just gut my roster to the legal minimum now, or wait until the off-season.

I may still hold on to the players I'm thinking of dropping - it's been such a squirrelly season this year, and the way things have been going, these guys may actually pan out next year and be worth something. I just have to figure out if it's worth it to me to hold on to them or not. :*)

I would consider the last day of the season the last day of real NBA games. Which I would think theoretically means you could drop them on Yahoo as well.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 791)

Postby So-Tex » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:38 pm

silentjim wrote:I would consider the last day of the season the last day of real NBA games. Which I would think theoretically means you could drop them on Yahoo as well.

That's what I thought - I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something written or discussed somewhere which would say otherwise. I know we follow the trade deadline rules during the season. But I just wanted to make sure no one would cry foul if I decided to wait until the last day to drop guys with multi-year contracts just to save a buck or two. ;-)

Obviously, I wouldn't do it after the season ended. I figure anytime before the last day is fair game for drops.
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 217)

Postby scully19 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:46 am

Yep, last game of the regular season is the cutoff. Drop them before that and have 50% penalty next year.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 195)

Postby nsink » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:40 pm

Shannon Brown,

I was looking into picking him up, but saw i needed to wait 24 hrs. Now it looks like Red Rover got him at about 9 hours in? What do we do?
nsink
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 116)

Postby silentjim » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:13 pm

nsink wrote:Shannon Brown,

I was looking into picking him up, but saw i needed to wait 24 hrs. Now it looks like Red Rover got him at about 9 hours in? What do we do?

Good question. The rules state "A player returning to the FA pool following a WC may not be signed to another WC by any team until 24 hrs has elapsed." where WC is weekly contract.

My vote is to have Red drop him and since we don't use waivers and I don't want to have a waiting match for the 24 hour time limit that he would forfeit the right to add him for the rest of the season.

I would like to say that we should keep dropped players on waivers for the min 24 hours going forward to avoid this.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 791)

Postby dasein » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:23 am

silentjim wrote:
I would like to say that we should keep dropped players on waivers for the min 24 hours going forward to avoid this.

I said this a while back but it seems to have gone unnoticed. It's an easy fix with the platform so no need to monitor it manually.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 433)

Postby RocketsDWM » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:47 am

silentjim wrote:
nsink wrote:Shannon Brown,

Good question. The rules state "A player returning to the FA pool following a WC may not be signed to another WC by any team until 24 hrs has elapsed." where WC is weekly contract.

My vote is to have Red drop him and since we don't use waivers and I don't want to have a waiting match for the 24 hour time limit that he would forfeit the right to add him for the rest of the season.

If this is the ruling, then technically Brown's stats should not count in the current matchup (he played yesterday). I don't know how Yahoo could remedy this though.
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 144)
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap