2012/13 season discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe


Return to FBC Salary Cap

2012/13 season discussion

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby nsink » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:10 pm

Willing to trade my pick/s if the right offer comes along.
nsink
College Captain
College Captain


Posts: 386
(Past Year: 116)
Joined: 7 Dec 2011
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby dasein » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:47 am

RocketsDWM wrote:Question:

Can we trade a pending FA and their bird rights to another team? (thinking of moving Blake Griffin if I could - Griffin made 6 this past season so could he be traded for another 6 mil contract?)


No, you can't trade Griffin now because you no longer own him. He became a free agent at the conclusion of the 2011/12 season. Bird rights simply give you a couple of advantages in the bidding process but as of now he isn't your player. If you want to trade a guy on an expiring contract, you have to do so before the trade deadline of his last contracted year. The guy that trades for him would then get his Bird rights.

RocketsDWM wrote:Suggestion:

Can we make the contracts of any pick that is taken outside the top 10 to be non-guaranteed (can be dropped at any point in the season with no salary cap repercussion). Or at least make all second round picks have non-guaranteed contracts and that contract could be dropped during the season with no salary repercussions (would not retroactively apply; only apply to future picks).


This has been brought up before, and I personally don't like it because I feel it's inconsistent with the philosophy behind the league rules. Doesn't mean we can't do something like this if there is enough support though, although I'd oppose allowing this for 1st round picks.
The current rules allow you to cut a 2nd round pick before the season starts with no financial consequences btw.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

User avatar

Posts: 916
(Past Year: 433)
Joined: 19 Aug 2010
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby RocketsDWM » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:27 pm

dasein wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:Question:

Can we trade a pending FA and their bird rights to another team? (thinking of moving Blake Griffin if I could - Griffin made 6 this past season so could he be traded for another 6 mil contract?)


No, you can't trade Griffin now because you no longer own him. He became a free agent at the conclusion of the 2011/12 season. Bird rights simply give you a couple of advantages in the bidding process but as of now he isn't your player. If you want to trade a guy on an expiring contract, you have to do so before the trade deadline of his last contracted year. The guy that trades for him would then get his Bird rights.

RocketsDWM wrote:Suggestion:

Can we make the contracts of any pick that is taken outside the top 10 to be non-guaranteed (can be dropped at any point in the season with no salary cap repercussion). Or at least make all second round picks have non-guaranteed contracts and that contract could be dropped during the season with no salary repercussions (would not retroactively apply; only apply to future picks).


This has been brought up before, and I personally don't like it because I feel it's inconsistent with the philosophy behind the league rules. Doesn't mean we can't do something like this if there is enough support though, although I'd oppose allowing this for 1st round picks.
The current rules allow you to cut a 2nd round pick before the season starts with no financial consequences btw.


I just don't feel that there is enough time between the draft and when the season starts to determine if that rook is worth carrying. Perhaps a deadline of the All-Star break to cut him without consequence?
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain


Posts: 589
(Past Year: 144)
Joined: 10 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby dasein » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:52 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:
I just don't feel that there is enough time between the draft and when the season starts to determine if that rook is worth carrying. Perhaps a deadline of the All-Star break to cut him without consequence?


I understand, but the thing is that even the all star break isn't enough time often. If I had evaluated Klay Thomsen at All Star break last year, a cut might have been justified and it would have been a mistake. With rare exceptions we are drafting rooks for the long term, which is why we added the extra roster spots. Our ratio of roster spots to active spots means that we can carry 2 or 3 guys that don't contribute without being disadvantaged in terms of games played.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

User avatar

Posts: 916
(Past Year: 433)
Joined: 19 Aug 2010
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby scully19 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:04 am

He owns Blake Griffin's rookie rights, so he can match any offer made to him, then trade later.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach


Posts: 1337
(Past Year: 195)
Joined: 8 Aug 2009
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby dasein » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:07 am

scully19 wrote:He owns Blake Griffin's rookie rights, so he can match any offer made to him, then trade later.


Yup, that's true. Griffin is a Restricted Free Agent.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

User avatar

Posts: 916
(Past Year: 433)
Joined: 19 Aug 2010
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby So-Tex » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:23 pm

dasein wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:
I just don't feel that there is enough time between the draft and when the season starts to determine if that rook is worth carrying. Perhaps a deadline of the All-Star break to cut him without consequence?


I understand, but the thing is that even the all star break isn't enough time often. If I had evaluated Klay Thomsen at All Star break last year, a cut might have been justified and it would have been a mistake. With rare exceptions we are drafting rooks for the long term, which is why we added the extra roster spots. Our ratio of roster spots to active spots means that we can carry 2 or 3 guys that don't contribute without being disadvantaged in terms of games played.

Hey fellas! I was offline the last several days cause I caught a nasty PC virus, and pretty much had to wipe the whole hard drive clean (yes, it's been a fun last several days! :-C ).

Anyway, the whole guaranteed contract thing for rooks doesn't bother me any, including the amount of time we have to drop the contract.

What I'd ACTUALLY like to see is some sort of non-guaranteed option for during the season. I really don't like using the 7-day contract. I'd prefer the option of being able to sign one or two guys on for non-guaranteed deals. Maybe even make it a stipulation that if we keep them past a certain amount of time, their deals become guaranteed (think like the 10 Day's in the NBA). Or maybe just limit the number of non-guaranteed contracts you can sign in one season to something like 10 or so? That way you would avoid any possible future abuse of the system.

I don't really have a problem with how the 7-day contracts work, or how we're able to keep track of them. We've all been pretty good with policing ourselves with that regard. I just personally don't like the option, and prefer not to use it. But it does get a bit tedious when I go and sign a guy for .25M, then decide to release him a month or so later. I know those are the rules, and it's a choice I have to make. But it just seems to me we could address this area and make it better.
Image
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 1039
(Past Year: 217)
Joined: 19 Aug 2009
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: South Texas, USA

Re: Draft 2012/13

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:39 pm

Thank god for that So-Tex pick. :-b
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 6300
(Past Year: 410)
Joined: 10 Jul 2008
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:46 pm

The seven day contract honestly doesn't fill a huge need for our league. The salary repercussions of signing a guy to a one year min deal versus a 7 day are pretty much nil. which is why I've never bothered with a 7 day contract. We can probably come up with a better mechanic if we want to.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 6300
(Past Year: 410)
Joined: 10 Jul 2008
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby scully19 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:00 pm

Agree entirely Fenris, you basically get the pro of adding a player immediately and the con of losing said player in a week. 2 days or so isn't a huge sell for me for what might be much more value for a year. Failed player, just chuck him for a little money.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach


Posts: 1337
(Past Year: 195)
Joined: 8 Aug 2009
Home Cafe: Basketball

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues




  • Fantasy Basketball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact