2012/13 season discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2012/13 season discussion

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2012/13 season discussion

Postby Fenris-77 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:32 pm

dasein wrote:Omitted Ibaka and Illysova but included Mozgov and Cole Aldridge? :-?

Who put this thing together? :-B

Considering what I had to work with it's a masterpiece. :-b I'm guessing you didn't see Aldrich's box score from last night either? ;-7
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 410)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby So-Tex » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:01 am

Couple of things:

First, tell me if I'm not understanding the rules correctly regarding incremental/decremental contracts. I'll post the section in question again, just to make sure we're all reading the same thing:

3.2 VETERAN CONTRACTS

Veteran contracts result from the Free Agent bidding process. The rules that govern these contracts are as follows:

A contract (C) is described completely by 3 variables:

1. Base year salary (BYS) in millions of dollars (M)
2. Contract length in years (N)
3. Percentage of BYS for annual raise/reduction (r)

- C must be rounded to the nearest $10,000 (0.01M). Numbers ending in 0.001 - 0.004 may be rounded down, 0.005 - 0.009 are rounded up.
- The maximum BYS is 20M, and the minimum is 0.25M.
- If the maximum BYS is offered, then r must be 0%.
- The maximum r is ± 10% (± 15% with bird rights).
- The annual salary increase/decrease is a fixed amount; BYS x r
- The restrictions on N are:
If BYS is in the range 10M – 20M, N must be 2-4.
If BYS is within the range 5M – 9.99M, N must be 1-3.
If BYS is less than 5M, N must be 1 or 2.

Example 1: BYS = 6, N = 3, r = 10%; C = 19.8M (6 + 6.6 + 7.2)

Example 2: BYS = 16, N =4, r = -5%; C = 59.2M (16 + 15.2 + 14.4 + 13.6)

Note: C = 0.5N.(2.BYS + (N-1).BYS.r)

The way that reads to me is whatever the base year salary is (BYS), will determine how long the contract is. Regardless of length, the increase or decrease in salary must be within +/- 10%. So, if you go up from 10M for 3 years, it would be 10 + 11 + 12. If you go down from 10M for 4 years, it would be 10 + 9+ 8 + 7. Either one is a legal bid as long as it beats the current bid by .25M or greater, as per this rule:

4.2 FREE AGENCY

Minimum Bid Increments

- If BYS is less than 2.5M, C must increase by at least 0.1M
- If BYS is greater or equal to 2.5M, C must increase by at least 0.25M
- Teams can match previous bids only if the salary laws prevent them from improving on the leading offer, i.e. the contract is currently a max offer, or the bidding team is at its cap limit.

I've already got contracts which are structured this way, so I know what I'm reading should be correct. But feel free to point out my error in thinking.

Secondly, since when can we go around just throwing bids up, then retracting them? Isn't there some rule against that? Just curious... :-?
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 217)

Postby Fenris-77 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:10 am

You're right about the BYS thing. ;-D I disagree completely with this reading as the going-forward rule for the league, but that is actually what the rule says right now, so it's good. As far as retracting bids I didn't notice anyone doing that. Which auction are we talking about?
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby So-Tex » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:15 am

Fenris-77 wrote:You're right about the BYS thing. ;-D I disagree completely with this reading as the going-forward rule for the league, but that is actually what the rule says right now, so it's good. As far as retracting bids I didn't notice anyone doing that. Which auction are we talking about?

cnote pulled his bid for Ilyasova (8, 8, 8) so he could jump in and bid on Wade.

And yeah, I'm pretty proud of myself on that last one - but it was like that last season as well, I have the contracts to prove it (Tony Parker, Marcin Gortat).

And I don't mind discussing it for next season. It would actually make things more streamlined if we just went with increments instead of both.

But I DO like the strategy of getting some of these guys on the cheap in their later years. ;-)
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 217)

Postby Fenris-77 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:37 am

Huh. The rules as I'm reading them don't cover dropping bids at all. They do stipulate that bids exert a cap hold, and there isn't an allowed mechanic for dropping a bid. My reading there is that either cnote can't bid on Wade or that we need to be a little more nuanced about how we read the rules as-is. I've ended up with a bunch players in this league because bids I expected to be upped haven't been, so my sympathy here is limited.

In general we need to stick to the rules as written though, which mean cnote can't bid on Wade while the Ilyasova bid is outstanding.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby TheRobSays » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:53 am

My bid on Roy was deemed illegal for a math error so I have no sympathy for someone who drives up the bid price only to pull out of the bidding when someone better comes along, no way .... sorry
TheRobSays
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 72)

Postby Fenris-77 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:57 am

The math thing is what it is. Try not to be bitter and maybe buy a calculator. :-b That said, we do need to enforce the RAW that we have. If there's a problem with the RAW (and there are a bunch IMO) we can't really fix them until next offseason.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby dcdoorknob » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:59 am

I'm new and obviously not a rules enforcer but it seems pretty clear cut to me. cnote's bit on Ilyasova stands and his bid on Wade is invalid. I don't even see the need to put either draft on hold personally, not that that is a big deal really.
dcdoorknob
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 125)

Postby Fenris-77 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:06 am

Guys can always waive players to make room, and the need to make those decisions explicit in a bid that might require them isn't in our current rules, so I don't see why Cnote shouldn't be given the chance to decide what he wants to do there. The auction isn't on hold either per say, I've just suspended the 12 hour limit for winning bids. You bid your heart out on either guy if you want to.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Fenris-77 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:27 am

No one else is online so I'm going to make a call here: Cnote has until noon tomorrow to announce that he's waiving players to make his Wade bid legal. If he doesn't then his Ilyasova bid stands and Wade bid does not, with So Tex's previous bid on Wade will stand as high bid and with a new auction clock will start at noon for both Wade and Ilyasova. People can feel free to bid on either player in the interim, but with the understanding that the auction clock will reset at noon tomorrow regardless. The legality of all bids will be readdressed just prior to noon based on Cnote's decisions and any other bids on the two players in question.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap