2012/13 season discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2012/13 season discussion

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2012/13 season discussion

Postby So-Tex » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:09 pm

nsink wrote:Similar but slightly different question. How does this wok for roster spaces? Can I go over 16 player limit as long as I drop someone later, or do I need the open slot.

No, you need the open slot. I've never had a problem with that rule personally, but that much I know for sure. You can drop a guy, then add someone right after that, as long as it within the rules for adding and dropping players. ;-)
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 217)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby nsink » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:13 pm

So-Tex wrote:
nsink wrote:Similar but slightly different question. How does this wok for roster spaces? Can I go over 16 player limit as long as I drop someone later, or do I need the open slot.

No, you need the open slot. I've never had a problem with that rule personally, but that much I know for sure. You can drop a guy, then add someone right after that, as long as it within the rules for adding and dropping players. ;-)

So I need an open slot pre-bid? Even if I'm not sure ill win?
nsink
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 116)

Postby So-Tex » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:37 pm

nsink wrote:
So-Tex wrote:

So I need an open slot pre-bid? Even if I'm not sure ill win?

Now that I think about it, I believe there IS a provision for that situation, but I have to double check. :-?

If I remember correctly, as long as you have the cap space to place legal bids and win those players, you can bid on them if you're maxed out on your roster. You just perform the add/drop afterwards if you win the player.

But don't forget, you have to compensate for dropping that contract. In other words, you can't be over the cap after the fact, say by .15M or something, because you forgot to figure in the hit your salary takes from dropping another player (75% this season, 50% for all subsequent seasons). As long as those numbers are under the cap, you're good.

But yeah, I stand corrected - I do think you can bid on guys having a maxed out roster. I'll double check just to make sure I'm remembering that correctly, though. :-]
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 217)

Postby scully19 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:42 pm

Just so everyone knows it, i marked it in the winning bids thread too, and PM'd cnote, but I matched the bid for DeRozan as he is my RFA.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 197)

Postby snakehuynh » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:06 pm

I remember the days when owners were throwing max bids left and right on players, everybody is stingy with there cap nowadays.
snakehuynh
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 48)

Postby RocketsDWM » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:37 pm

snakehuynh wrote:I remember the days when owners were throwing max bids left and right on players, everybody is stingy with there cap nowadays.

Very stingy. I like it - shows that owners are planning for the long-term. Maybe real NBA owners should embrace this restraint.
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 146)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RocketsDWM » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:41 pm

Also heads up to Rob, Crawford is my RFA and I have matched (see winning bids thread).
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 146)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dasein » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:42 pm

Fenris-77 wrote:Cnote has until noon tomorrow to announce that he's waiving players to make his Wade bid legal.
This is what I was talking about. It sounds a lot like permission to waive a player after making a bid so that you can get under the cap and make that bid legal after the fact. Sorry if I misinterpreted.

Fenris-77 wrote: The real problem here is that the cap-hold bid system is a piece of shit in many ways and causes as many problems as it solves.
I don't have a real problem with it. It just requires managers to put a bit of thought into what they're doing, which isn't a bad thing. The alternative 'free-for-all and sort it out later' system would be the real dog's breakfast.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 435)

Postby dasein » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:46 pm

snakehuynh wrote:I remember the days when owners were throwing max bids left and right on players, everybody is stingy with there cap nowadays.

Monkey's can learn! :-b
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 435)

Postby cnote23 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:06 am

so what is my punishment? :-?
Happy Holidays !!!!
cnote23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe RankerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 240)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap