2012/13 season discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe


Return to FBC Salary Cap

2012/13 season discussion

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby RedHopeful » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:13 pm

KalElen wrote:btw i was thinking we start the auction on thursday. by that time i'll have salary info up on google docs and rules thread updated. if anybody has any problem with this start date let me know asap.

Sounds good Kal. ;-D
Image
RedHopeful
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18233
(Past Year: 706)
Joined: 11 Jul 2007
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: http://twitter.com/Redhopeful

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby KalElen » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:04 am

thanx scully. i've been traveling over last few days and i didn't have updated excel sheet with me. it's getting late here and i have an early mourning tomorrow so i'll have to take a look at it tomorrow, once i get back from yet another road trip (all business, no pleasure)
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Posts: 4208
Joined: 18 Aug 2008
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: Smederevo, Serbia

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby scully19 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:12 am

I'll need your email to allow you to edit the file.

Or since you're travelling around I could do it until you're good to takeover.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach


Posts: 1338
(Past Year: 196)
Joined: 8 Aug 2009
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby Fenris-77 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:24 am

I had to be tomorrow, didn't it? I have to work something like 14 hours tomorrow.:-C Ah well, I can get with the bidding when I get back. ;-D
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 6300
(Past Year: 410)
Joined: 10 Jul 2008
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby dasein » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:03 am

KalElen wrote:i'd add that if you are under the cap by less them 6M after you add mle you are above cap. so you can't use cap space to sign one player and mle to sign another. in order to be able to use cap space you'd have to waive mle - no loop hole there


So if my salary is greater than 53 (before MLE) I'm above the soft cap? Huh? :-S

To be honest guys, I still haven't seen a crystal clear explanation of the MLE. My impression is that there exists a salary value, below which it is rational to waive the MLE, and above which it is rational to keep the MLE, and that this value is the same for everybody regardless of strategy. I'm not sure I understand the rule well enough to say what this value is though and would be happy if someone who does understands the rule would just come out and say what this 'break-even value' is.

As far as I can tell, with the soft cap at 65, if my dedicated salary excluding MLE is:

- 60 or more, it is worth my while to keep the MLE, because it gives me the most money to spend.
- 59, it makes no difference (break-even value).
- less than 59, I should waive the MLE to give myself more flexibility.

Is this right or no? :-D
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

User avatar

Posts: 917
(Past Year: 434)
Joined: 19 Aug 2010
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby DVauthrin » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:25 am

dasein wrote:
KalElen wrote:i'd add that if you are under the cap by less them 6M after you add mle you are above cap. so you can't use cap space to sign one player and mle to sign another. in order to be able to use cap space you'd have to waive mle - no loop hole there


So if my salary is greater than 53 (before MLE) I'm above the soft cap? Huh? :-S

To be honest guys, I still haven't seen a crystal clear explanation of the MLE. My impression is that there exists a salary value, below which it is rational to waive the MLE, and above which it is rational to keep the MLE, and that this value is the same for everybody regardless of strategy. I'm not sure I understand the rule well enough to say what this value is though and would be happy if someone who does understands the rule would just come out and say what this 'break-even value' is.

As far as I can tell, with the soft cap at 65, if my dedicated salary excluding MLE is:

- 60 or more, it is worth my while to keep the MLE, because it gives me the most money to spend.
- 59, it makes no difference (break-even value).
- less than 59, I should waive the MLE to give myself more flexibility.

Is this right or no? :-D


You are correct.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 6341
(Past Year: 166)
Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby scully19 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:59 am

Before anyone starts bidding, i think we should change slightly what happened last year with bidding. If there is a honest mistake in bidding, we shouldn't set the clock back to the previous correct bid, but keep it at the timing of the incorrect bid. We had way too many problems last year with it, and it sucks for anyone who lost out because of that.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach


Posts: 1338
(Past Year: 196)
Joined: 8 Aug 2009
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby hi chi » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:46 am

Are guys coming off rookie contracts the only rfa? I am not clear on who are rfa right now. Can someone explain who will be rfa so I can plan a little better. Thanks guys. ;-D
hi chi
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1076
(Past Year: 132)
Joined: 12 Jan 2008
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby KalElen » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:55 am

DVauthrin wrote:
dasein wrote:Is this right or no? :-D


You are correct.

;-D

hi chi wrote:Are guys coming off rookie contracts the only rfa? I am not clear on who are rfa right now. Can someone explain who will be rfa so I can plan a little better. Thanks guys. ;-D

2009 rookies are only rfas at this time. i think that only david anderson fits that description this summer

scully19 wrote:Before anyone starts bidding, i think we should change slightly what happened last year with bidding. If there is a honest mistake in bidding, we shouldn't set the clock back to the previous correct bid, but keep it at the timing of the incorrect bid. We had way too many problems last year with it, and it sucks for anyone who lost out because of that.

sorry but this is a no go. it sucks for those who lost out, but they have no one to blame but their selves. ignoring the possibility of cheating by purposely extending the clock or if you prefer giving all of us benefit of the doubt, there is still significant possibility of screwing over somebody else by extending the clock by accident and i'm not going to allow that. here's a scenario: you are interested in two guys, but you can't bid on both of them due to salary limitations. you are winning player A and i accidentally post invalid bid. you are now forced to wait additional time before you can claim your player. during new 24h waiting period 3rd gm can jump in and outbid you thus you lose the player and gm who wouldn't have been around to outbid you in original 24h, or who couldn't do it because of having his money tied up in another player, got additional time to do it. at the same time you were interested in player B and were willing to outbid everyone in timely fashion had you known you're not getting player A, but your money was tied up in player A, 24h expired and you lost out on player B only to have your delayed offer outbid, so now you are left with neither though you would have been willing and able to make the winning bid for player B and all of that because i made a mistake.
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Posts: 4208
Joined: 18 Aug 2008
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: Smederevo, Serbia

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby dasein » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:11 pm

I haven't seen the bidding process described anywhere. Am I missing the thread, or has it not been done? I don't understand what you guys are on about with the 24hrs and stopping clocks and whatnot. :-B
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

User avatar

Posts: 917
(Past Year: 434)
Joined: 19 Aug 2010
Home Cafe: Basketball

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], scully19 and 0 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues




  • Fantasy Basketball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact