2012/13 season discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2012/13 season discussion

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2012/13 season discussion

Postby raffrox01 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:14 am

I understand the rule and why it is there but I could also see in this context that a re-auctioning of Gasol (minus myself of course) might make sense.

I don't want anything different to happen for me but in this situation it wasn't that a player was simply forgotten. It was me misunderstanding and not clarifying whether a player who was inactive (JR Smith) would count against my cap (my fault and my fault only) and I didn't inform scully that JR Smith wasn't on my roster (only because I forgot). I'm not sure if it was an error that another GM could have feasibly noticed because it wasn't on my salary spreadsheet. Therefore I couldn't be pulled me up on and therefore cancelled my bid a lot earlier.

I don't know of the precedence etc... and I'm the new guy etc....
Last edited by raffrox01 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
raffrox01
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 77)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby silentjim » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:17 am

raffrox01 wrote:I understand the rule and why it is there but I could also see in this context that a re-auctioning of Gasol (minus myself of course) might make sense.

I don't want anything different to happen for me but in this situation it wasn't that a player was simply forgotten. It was me misunderstanding and not clarifying whether a player who was inactive (JR Smith) would count against my cap (my fault and my fault only) so I'm not sure if it was an error that another GM could have feasibly noticed and therefore pulled me up on and therefore cancelled my bid a lot earlier.

I don't know of the precedence etc... and I'm the new guy etc....

Not your fault, so don't worry. ;-D

I think we've extended the time etc/redid 12 hours before in the past, but as someone who's interested in Gasol I don't want to make a ruling on my behalf.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 792)

Postby dasein » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:25 am

I agree it's a bug in the way we do things at the moment. It's ok if bad bids are caught early, like with Monta, but it becomes a pain when it's caught after the auction closes. Although user error deserves a large part of the blame...it seems to be a small group of managers who are making these mistakes repeatedly. Hopefully we all learn quickly.

And if you are interested in a player, keep a close eye on the cap situation of the leading bidders- don't just assume a mod will pick it up. If we all take responsibility for policing, then this type of thing is much less likely to occur.

EDIT: I'd be ok with reopening the bidding in this case, given the circumstances. We'd have to start it from the last good bid though. Not sure how the other VC guys feel about it.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 434)

Postby DVauthrin » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:49 am

I sympathize with someone like Jim here, but this has happened before, and I don't ever recall re opening the bidding. Is it the best way to handle it going forward? probably not, but this is something that must be adjusted for next year, not retroactively now, unless barrec is amenable to having the 12 hr clock start on his 24M bid(8,8,8)

Also, not to knock Jim here, but he's part of the committee that is supposed to be looking for illegal bids.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 166)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby barrec » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:25 am

Sorry to be absent from the topic so long. I would vote to reopen as I had moved on from Gasol and acquired other players instead. It seems I inherited two winning bids hich would put me over the cap, theoretically making the most recent bid also illegal. Agree that it should be looked at next season but it seems a punishment here is more fitting than reopening since it affected how we made decisions. I prefer rebidding here as punishment should be decided in off season and designed to apply to any mgr, and not just the case in hand.
Irony is the strongest force in the universe.
barrec
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 88)

Postby Fenris-77 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:06 am

This whole mess is why a newer and better bidding system will hopefully be in place for next year's free agency. ;-D
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 410)

Postby barrec » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:17 am

Fenris-77 wrote:This whole mess is why a newer and better bidding system will hopefully be in place for next year's free agency. ;-D

Indeed - we bid and learn ;o)

As it turns out, I was incorrect in assessing my situation as I didn't win an auction I thought I had. But it does illustrate one possible issue in the bidding process. It's a domino effect.
Irony is the strongest force in the universe.
barrec
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 88)

Postby dasein » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:24 am

FYI for those who still have cash in the bank. The Pau auction has restarted. ;-D
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 434)

Postby TheRobSays » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:24 pm

Is there something wrong with the tracking sheet? It says Raffrox is over cap by $1M which is not supposed to be allowed and must be wrong since he has been bidding on players (and is leading Ginobli)?
TheRobSays
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 72)

Postby DVauthrin » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:37 pm

TheRobSays wrote:Is there something wrong with the tracking sheet? It says Raffrox is over cap by $1M which is not supposed to be allowed and must be wrong since he has been bidding on players (and is leading Ginobli)?

Scully hasn't taken Pau off his roster as he won him on an illegal bid. Without Pau, he has 8 mil or so in cap space, so he's fine on manu.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 166)
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap