2012/13 season discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2012/13 season discussion

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2012/13 season discussion

Postby RocketsDWM » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:37 am

Also like to explore lowering the guaranteed salaries of rookie picks.
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 145)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RocketsDWM » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:42 am

dasein wrote:yeah, that's a fair point nsink. It does feel a bit underhanded bidding now. I'm happy to put this before the rules commitee now, as I don't think it's happened earlier this year so we wouldn't be changing anything midstream.

So is the Lou Williams bidding on hold?
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain

Postby dasein » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:22 am

RocketsDWM wrote:
dasein wrote:yeah, that's a fair point nsink. It does feel a bit underhanded bidding now. I'm happy to put this before the rules commitee now, as I don't think it's happened earlier this year so we wouldn't be changing anything midstream.

So is the Lou Williams bidding on hold?

Yup.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 434)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby dasein » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:36 am

Silent Jim pointed out that picking up a free agent who is out for the year has been done before. I remember ST did it with Jeff Green last year, and there may be others too. So because it's been done before, it's a bit dodge changing the rules now. We can revisit this in the offseason maybe.

We'll start the clock again from now on the Lou Will auction.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 434)

Postby silentjim » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:40 am

dasein wrote:Silent Jim pointed out that picking up a free agent who is out for the year has been done before. I remember ST did it with Jeff Green last year, and there may be others too. So because it's been done before, it's a bit dodge changing the rules now. We can revisit this in the offseason maybe.

I nabbed Chauncey Billups last season on a .5 (.25M, .25M) deal as well when he was out for the whole season. I think its a little quirky, but we've allowed it before. I know in real life is Lou Williams was a free agent he'd probably wait till he was healthy to sign a deal, but I'm sure he wouldn't complain about making some cash this season while technically injured either. :-B
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 794)

Postby So-Tex » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:00 am

Yes, I've done this with both Jeff Green (who I now regret letting go :-/ ) and Avery Bradley. I don't remember if I picked up Bradley early on this season, or late last, but it was with the same intent as with Jeff Green. Basically, you win a guy with a two or three year deal real cheap, then sit on him till he comes back the next season. More bang for your buck, for lack of a better term. ;-)

I don't see an issue with the rule as it stands, seeing as we have such deep rosters anyway. That, plus the fact that patience is a virtue, and if a manager is willing to burn a roster slot sitting on a guy who won't be back until next season, so be it. If others are so inclined, they have just as much right to place a legal bid on the guy and do the same.

Only thing I might be willing to consider would be some kind of minimum starting bid. For example, if Mo Will is a starting PG on most, (if not all) teams, he can be bid on starting at X amount of dollars - 1M, 2M, 3M, etc., whichever price the league agreed was fair. That way, if anyone actually has the cap space to sit on him this season, they can place a bid. If not, then he would go into the off-season FA pool, where everyone should basically have a fair shot at him once FA bidding begins. It might have some kinks to work out, but that sounds like a fair trade off to simply being able to get him at the cheapest price possible, or available seeing as how some of us are right up on the cap limit.

Just my two... :-)
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 217)

Postby nsink » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:16 am

silentjim wrote:
dasein wrote:Silent Jim pointed out that picking up a free agent who is out for the year has been done before. I remember ST did it with Jeff Green last year, and there may be others too. So because it's been done before, it's a bit dodge changing the rules now. We can revisit this in the offseason maybe.

I nabbed Chauncey Billups last season on a .5 (.25M, .25M) deal as well when he was out for the whole season. I think its a little quirky, but we've allowed it before. I know in real life is Lou Williams was a free agent he'd probably wait till he was healthy to sign a deal, but I'm sure he wouldn't complain about making some cash this season while technically injured either. :-B

I was thinking offseason rule look at not in season change, but as to ur pt he wlnt complain, I bet he wld since it locks him into next season at 1/10th of his value (at least)
nsink
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 116)

Postby RocketsDWM » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:24 pm

Fierce bidding for Tobias.
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain

Postby silentjim » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:43 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:Fierce bidding for Tobias.

Totally. ;-D I clearly don't know what I'm doing. :-D

On a side note, cnote hasn't been active since February 12th. The sad part is, he was actually winning a lot to start the season. We might need to look into finding a replacement as I don't know what's up with him. Additionally I'm not sure a team that has been inactive, but is good, should be able to "win" the lottery if that makes sense. Just something we should probably discuss.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 794)

Postby DVauthrin » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:51 pm

silentjim wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:Fierce bidding for Tobias.

Totally. ;-D I clearly don't know what I'm doing. :-D

On a side note, cnote hasn't been active since February 12th. The sad part is, he was actually winning a lot to start the season. We might need to look into finding a replacement as I don't know what's up with him. Additionally I'm not sure a team that has been inactive, but is good, should be able to "win" the lottery if that makes sense. Just something we should probably discuss.

It's frustrating to say the least and worth discussing.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 166)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap