2012/13 season discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2012/13 season discussion

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2012/13 season discussion

Postby TheRobSays » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:14 am

Yeah even the cap hit is high! Yet DC is rocking despite this!
TheRobSays
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 72)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby silentjim » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:53 am

silentjim wrote:I just bid and maybe I shouldn't have. Can we get a clarification on over bidding? Didn't you have to waive the player first to free up the cash? Wasn't the ruling you could have 48 hours to drop a player to get under the max amount, but that at no point can you go over the cap?

I know there's been some discussion on this and DVauthrin's cap possibly being over as well.

Posted this on Amare. And this is allowed (IE temporarily having 17 players):

During the season, a team without open roster spots may still bid on free agents. If such a team wins an auction, it will have 24hrs from the close of the auction to drop a player from it’s roster and claim the newly won player. If this does not occur within this time limit, the auction may be deemed void, and the player returned to the FA pool.

But going over the 75M shouldn't be allowed:

2.0 Roster Rules

The total current value of all contracts belonging to a team may not exceed 75M at any time.

2.1 CAP HOLDS

Cap holds are a dollar amount placed on a team’s cap, but not attached to a player currently on the roster. The sum of player salaries and cap holds may never rise above the cap (75M) during the current year. Cap holds occur in the following situations:

1. When a player is dropped or bought out, according to the rules outlined in Section 5.

2. When a bid is placed during a free agent auction (see below).

The team leading an auction at any given time is considered to have a cap hold equal to the base year salary (BYS) during that time. If the team wins the auction, the cap hold becomes a salary and the player is added to the roster. If however, another team offers a higher contract, the cap hold is dissolved.

NOTE: Teams may not make auction bids where the BYS is greater than their remaining cap space. If this occurs, the violating bid is void, and the team forfeits its right to bid further on that player for the remainder of the auction.

Correct?
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 794)

Postby So-Tex » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:27 am

That's the way I understood it. A manager can go over the roster limit temporarily until they win the auction, then they have 48 hrs to drop a player and take the new player on.

But, no team can make a bid for a player with more than what they have remaining in cap space. They CAN drop a player, post it in the "Waived players" thread, THEN use the newly gained cap space to place a new or first bid. But they HAVE to waive the player first, because waiving a player costs a penalty, which still counts against your available cap space (75% this year, 50% each additional season). It's not all that hard to track since posts to the forum are time/date stamped. What's tricky is to get the math done correctly - it's easy to forget that 75/50% penalty at times, when your trying to out bid someone else but your running up on the hard cap.

But there is a legal way to drop a player, then use the gained cap space to place a bid - it just has to be done in the right order, so all the math can be worked out.
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 217)

Postby dasein » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:20 am

it feels like this is the 51st time I've posted this, but...

You may never go over the cap.

Not sure what the above posts are refering to and don't have time to check right now, but if any bid takes a team over their current cap space it's illegal.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 435)

Postby silentjim » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:50 pm

Guys, I don't want to get into semantics about a few minutes and such, but if you need to waive a player to sign a player please post that first for posterity's sake. ;-D
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RocketsDWM » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:10 am

silentjim wrote:Guys, I don't want to get into semantics about a few minutes and such, but if you need to waive a player to sign a player please post that first for posterity's sake. ;-D

Sorry about that. I thought I had 2 mil in cap space but I have less than that so I had to drop someone. We really need to get the cap sheet uploaded again on google docs.

DV - Are you dropping Montiejunas?
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 146)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby silentjim » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:52 am

RocketsDWM wrote:
silentjim wrote:Guys, I don't want to get into semantics about a few minutes and such, but if you need to waive a player to sign a player please post that first for posterity's sake. ;-D

Sorry about that. I thought I had 2 mil in cap space but I have less than that so I had to drop someone. We really need to get the cap sheet uploaded again on google docs.

I would assume maybe the sheet is wrong with DV, but I could be wrong???
silentjim

Postby RocketsDWM » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:36 am

Scully19 0.9875
RedHopeful 0.05
Raffrox 0.505
silentjim 3.1625
Dvauthrin -0.3425
dasein 1.015
RocketsDWM 2.6
barrec 6.35
cnote 1.3
hi chi 2.285
dcdoorknob 5.0925
nsink 0.9325
So-Tex 0.8625
snake 8.125
TheRobSays 1.7375
Fenris77 2.375

Cap space updated (at least I hope) to reflect current rosters. DV is slightly over cap after signing Montiejunus.
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 146)

Postby DVauthrin » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:14 am

RocketsDWM wrote:

I'm not only dropping Motiejunas, but I'm locking myself from any playoff moves. I somehow did not factor in signing Shane Battier to my cap space on my own calculations and that's why I thought dropping Gooden gave me .61. I didn't have access to the new salary spreadsheet, but that's no excuse. It's my fault, and nobody else's. I apologize.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 166)

Postby silentjim » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:48 am

DVauthrin wrote:I'm not only dropping Motiejunas, but I'm locking myself from any playoff moves. I somehow did not factor in signing Shane Battier to my cap space on my own calculations and that's why I thought dropping Gooden gave me .61. I didn't have access to the new salary spreadsheet, but that's no excuse. It's my fault, and nobody else's. I apologize.

This sounds good to me. I looked through the 5 games that Motiejunas "played" for you for the two different match-ups and his stats didn't effect the outcome of the match-ups at all. Technically someone probably should have mentioned or directly reached out to you earlier to point out the problem. So I think you're floating between a minor and a major violation (since he was on your roster for so long), but since a minor is a 7 day penalty of no roster moves, I think its fitting that you can't make a move during the playoffs. We might have to reevaluate a minor penalty in the future though since without 7 day contracts its not much of a penalty anymore.

In the future lets try to watch ourselves more carefully and 1) get a better way to store, update, and view salaries, as well as 2) notifying someone if we believe they are in violation. ;-D
silentjim

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap