2012/13 season discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2012/13 season discussion

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2012/13 season discussion

Postby nsink » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:51 am

I'm a bit confused, cause I thought we didn't need to drop until we won a bid but if I win either or both mcroberts and Livingston I'm dropping taj and Clark for roster space,
nsink
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 116)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby DVauthrin » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:09 am

silentjim wrote:
DVauthrin wrote:I'm not only dropping Motiejunas, but I'm locking myself from any playoff moves. I somehow did not factor in signing Shane Battier to my cap space on my own calculations and that's why I thought dropping Gooden gave me .61. I didn't have access to the new salary spreadsheet, but that's no excuse. It's my fault, and nobody else's. I apologize.

This sounds good to me. I looked through the 5 games that Motiejunas "played" for you for the two different match-ups and his stats didn't effect the outcome of the match-ups at all. Technically someone probably should have mentioned or directly reached out to you earlier to point out the problem. So I think you're floating between a minor and a major violation (since he was on your roster for so long), but since a minor is a 7 day penalty of no roster moves, I think its fitting that you can't make a move during the playoffs. We might have to reevaluate a minor penalty in the future though since without 7 day contracts its not much of a penalty anymore.

In the future lets try to watch ourselves more carefully and 1) get a better way to store, update, and view salaries, as well as 2) notifying someone if we believe they are in violation. ;-D

I realize accidents happen, but I hold myself to a higher standard than most, especially as one of the commissioners of the league. I should have double checked my own numbers to ensure they matched with my own, but I didn't. I shouldn't need the spreadsheet to know my salary, anyway. If by some chance I advance past Rob, I'll prohibit myself from roster moves in that round too. I'm not even opposed to a loss of a 1st round rookie pick for this kind of violation, minor or major, but that's for offseason debate.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 166)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby So-Tex » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:47 am

nsink wrote:I'm a bit confused, cause I thought we didn't need to drop until we won a bid but if I win either or both mcroberts and Livingston I'm dropping taj and Clark for roster space,

It's got nothing to do with the roster space. It's all about the cap space you have left. Sorry if this gets a bit wordy, but it's the only way I have to explain it:

Example: Say you have 2M in cap space left, and you have a maxed out roster. You put a bid for Player X at .5M for one year, and you win that player. You now have to drop a player from your roster to make room for him, yes. HOWEVER, when you drop that player, you still have to pay 75% for this year, plus 50% for any remaining years on the contract (if any). If there are no remaining years, then it's only the 75%. In this scenario however, it's NOT an issue, since you had enough cap space to cover the bid AND pay for the drop.

However, let's say you have 2M in cap space, and want to bid on Player Y, but his auction is currently at 2.25M dollars. What you CAN'T do is place a bid, with the intention of dropping a player, or players, AFTER you've won the contract, even if you drop enough in salary to afford BOTH the new contract and the 75%/50% from the drop. As dasein has stated time and again, under NO circumstances can you go over the cap! And placing a bid of 2.5M or more on Player X would put you over the cap. It doesn't matter if your roster is maxed out. And it also doesn't matter that you haven't won him yet. You simply CAN NOT place that bid legally, because it would put you over the cap - REGARDLESS of your intentions to drop contracts.

What you CAN DO is make the drop(s) FIRST, in order to free up more salary, which you can THEN use to legally make the bid. So say you do the math, and decide to drop a player whose contract is 4M. You make the post in the "waived players" thread first. You've already done the math and figured for 4M your cost for the waived player would be 3M. This is the amount you STILL HAVE TO PAY for that contract this season. After figuring this, you've gained 1M in cap space. So now, instead of 2M in cap space remaining, you have 3M. And NOW you can LEGALLY bid in the Player X auction because you have enough in cap space to place a competing bid without going over.

:-°

Yes, it seems a bit mundane because you HAVE to go in a certain order to pull it off. But it's there for all of our protection. Not that anyone from this particular group would do it, but if this rule weren't in place, those of us with little cap space remaining could get involved in auctions we would have no business being in, driving the prices higher and higher. Which in turn wouldn't be fair to those managers who DO have cap space because they have managed their rosters efficiently.

Again, sorry it got a bit wordy...but I hope this explains things a bit clearer. ;-)

And remember, it's not about having your roster maxed out! That's NOT what can keep you from making a bid and acquiring a new player. The ONLY thing that can keep you from doing that is lack of cap space. ;-D
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 217)

Postby silentjim » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:03 pm

So-Tex wrote:
nsink wrote:I'm a bit confused, cause I thought we didn't need to drop until we won a bid but if I win either or both mcroberts and Livingston I'm dropping taj and Clark for roster space,

It's got nothing to do with the roster space. It's all about the cap space you have left. Sorry if this gets a bit wordy, but it's the only way I have to explain it:

Example: Say you have 2M in cap space left, and you have a maxed out roster. You put a bid for Player X at .5M for one year, and you win that player. You now have to drop a player from your roster to make room for him, yes. HOWEVER, when you drop that player, you still have to pay 75% for this year, plus 50% for any remaining years on the contract (if any). If there are no remaining years, then it's only the 75%. In this scenario however, it's NOT an issue, since you had enough cap space to cover the bid AND pay for the drop.

However, let's say you have 2M in cap space, and want to bid on Player Y, but his auction is currently at 2.25M dollars. What you CAN'T do is place a bid, with the intention of dropping a player, or players, AFTER you've won the contract, even if you drop enough in salary to afford BOTH the new contract and the 75%/50% from the drop. As dasein has stated time and again, under NO circumstances can you go over the cap! And placing a bid of 2.5M or more on Player X would put you over the cap. It doesn't matter if your roster is maxed out. And it also doesn't matter that you haven't won him yet. You simply CAN NOT place that bid legally, because it would put you over the cap - REGARDLESS of your intentions to drop contracts.

What you CAN DO is make the drop(s) FIRST, in order to free up more salary, which you can THEN use to legally make the bid. So say you do the math, and decide to drop a player whose contract is 4M. You make the post in the "waived players" thread first. You've already done the math and figured for 4M your cost for the waived player would be 3M. This is the amount you STILL HAVE TO PAY for that contract this season. After figuring this, you've gained 1M in cap space. So now, instead of 2M in cap space remaining, you have 3M. And NOW you can LEGALLY bid in the Player X auction because you have enough in cap space to place a competing bid without going over.

:-°

Yes, it seems a bit mundane because you HAVE to go in a certain order to pull it off. But it's there for all of our protection. Not that anyone from this particular group would do it, but if this rule weren't in place, those of us with little cap space remaining could get involved in auctions we would have no business being in, driving the prices higher and higher. Which in turn wouldn't be fair to those managers who DO have cap space because they have managed their rosters efficiently.

Again, sorry it got a bit wordy...but I hope this explains things a bit clearer. ;-)

And remember, it's not about having your roster maxed out! That's NOT what can keep you from making a bid and acquiring a new player. The ONLY thing that can keep you from doing that is lack of cap space. ;-D

This is exactly correct. As mentioned a million times before you can never go over the 75M cap either in salary cap holds or salaries or combined. The point is I could randomly bid on every player available and simply waive my 20M contract to free up 5M (the difference of the 75% I have to pay in the buyout). However, I need to do it first, because if someone bids 5.1M for a player than not only would I not get the player, I would also just lose that player I waived. There has to be some rules and penalties for being over the cap and trying to get below it. ;-D
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 792)

Postby So-Tex » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:58 pm

Congrats to DC on the win this season! He's having quite the banner year if I'm not mistaken! }:-)

And a big round of applause for all those who worked above and beyond to make this season the success that it was: all the committee members (dasein, silentjim, DVauthrin [if I'm not mistaken], and I know I might have missed one or two - my apologies!) and those who helped with the spreadsheets (scully most certainly!), and anyone else who pitched in. Great job fellas!!! ;-D

Hopefully, we can keep up the off-season discussions, and not lose anyone else to inactivity. I know there were a few things brought up during the season which we should address. But overall, I think this was the best season we've had as a whole.

Fantastic job, gentlemen! Looking forward to next season!!! ;-D
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby raffrox01 » Sat May 11, 2013 3:37 pm

Congrats DC and thanks for the competition from all.

I've had a rather full on time personally over the last 18 months and I've had to review my fantasy ball commitments.

I'm unfortunately going to have to withdraw from most my leagues at the moment including this one. Apologies and thanks again for the opportunity.
raffrox01
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 77)

Postby silentjim » Wed May 22, 2013 12:40 am

Guys with the NBA lottery tonight I thought we should look at having ours as well. The Australian Powerball is Thursday and I think we should use that one and move on from there. Make sense? :-D
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby silentjim » Wed May 22, 2013 12:48 am

The SCL rookie draft order is determined as follows.

Teams are ranked 1st to last based on regular season final standings (after tiebreaks are applied). This ranking is used to determine which teams will enter the lottery, and what their odds shall be.

The lottery draw will be the Australian ‘Powerball’ numbers drawn on a predetermined day, and accessed at http://www.ozlotteries.com/lotto-results/powerball.

The odds of the lottery teams are reflected in the number of balls assigned (out of 45), and are as follows:

Rank Ball Numbers Assigned Odds of Winning Team

16th 1 - 11 0.244 hi chi

15th 12 - 20 0.200 cnote

14th 21 - 27 0.156 silentjim

13th 28 - 33 0.133 Redhopeful

12th 34 - 37 0.089 barrec

11th 38 - 40 0.067 scully

10th 41 - 43 0.067 So-Tex

9th 44 - 45 0.044 Fenris

- The 1st ball drawn will decide the first pick in the rookie draft, the 2nd ball the second pick, and the 3rd ball the third pick. Only the first 3 picks are decided by the lottery.

- If 2 of the first 3 balls fall into the same grouping, the duplicate ball will be ignored and the next ball that falls into a new grouping will be taken in its stead.

- After the top 3 positions are decided, the remaining teams will draft in reverse order of regular season final standings (after tiebreaks are applied).

Here would be the odds and the numbers assigned to the lottery teams as well as the rules we set forth.
silentjim

Postby RedHopeful » Thu May 23, 2013 4:57 pm

Guys, I hate to do this but I've got to leave this league at this time. Last year, too many commitments entered my life and so I've got to cut out at least several basketball leagues for the upcoming season. Considering the involvement required here, quitting the salary cap makes all the sense in the world. :,-(

I know most of you and it's been a blast, but I'll still be around (and perhaps come be able to come back to the league one day). :-)

Btw, I had reached out to 4ndrew around several months ago fearing I'd be going down this road. He expressed that he might be able to come back to the league so someone should reach out to him. ;-D
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 706)

Postby So-Tex » Thu May 23, 2013 6:32 pm

Sad news, indeed, Red. But I wish you the best, and hope you're able to take care of yourself and your commitments.

There's a saying I like to use that I heard somewhere a long time ago, "People first, then money, then things"...and I'm sure in that "things" sub-category, fantasy basketball ranks pretty low on the list. So again, take care of yourself and your family first, then worry about everything else.

And like you said, maybe one day, we'll see you back in the league again, talking smack and running your mouth for just about every match-up! :-B

Don't forget to take in the occasional fishing trip every now and then (I'm heading down to the gulf coast in a few weeks myself! ;-) ).

Here's to you Red! Take care and God bless buddy! ;-D
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap