2012/13 season discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2012/13 season discussion

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby silentjim » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:33 pm

scully19 wrote:Well you can see how much they own in total after including everyone waived, and can do some very quick math to get a rough idea.

Just for you though, there is now a new line under Total salaries for Soft cap space which does the math for you.

Sweet.

Can I clarify with a couple of guys that we are going to run into some weird scenarios with timing of bids?

Meaning birds rights allows us to go over the softcap, but technically is I signed my birds right player first, I'd limit what free agents I could sign second?
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 792)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby scully19 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:36 pm

Your cap hold on Morrow is 0.25, which means that you actually have 7.18m to spend instead of 7.42 on free agents until you deal with Morrow.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 196)

Postby silentjim » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:39 pm

scully19 wrote:Your cap hold on Morrow is 0.25, which means that you actually have 7.18m to spend instead of 7.42 on free agents until you deal with Morrow.

But, lets say you make an offer to Morrow and I match or bid or whatever. But I'm also interested in Michael Jordan the free agent and I offer him my full amount of 7.42 let's say. Theoretically I could keep offering Morrow more since I can go over the cap?
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby scully19 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:42 pm

silentjim wrote:
scully19 wrote:Your cap hold on Morrow is 0.25, which means that you actually have 7.18m to spend instead of 7.42 on free agents until you deal with Morrow.

But, lets say you make an offer to Morrow and I match or bid or whatever. But I'm also interested in Michael Jordan the free agent and I offer him my full amount of 7.42 let's say. Theoretically I could keep offering Morrow more since I can go over the cap?

No you couldn't. You could sign Jordan to 7.18 (0.25 saved for Morrow's cap hold) and then spend what you want on Morrow after you signed Jordan, but you can't spend them at the same time. You are either going to try to sign Morrow for less and thus have more cap space, or sign someone before Morrow because he is going to be getting a raise and you want as much cap space as possible.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby silentjim » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:48 pm

Final question: What does this league define Bird's Rights as?
silentjim

Postby scully19 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:50 pm

Care to expand on that question a little bit? Don't really know how to answer it.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby DVauthrin » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:52 pm

silentjim wrote:Final question: What does this league define Bird's Rights as?

players have bird rights if they have spent at least one full year on a team's roster. those rights allow you to go over the soft cap to resign them as long as team salary is still within 80M after resigning them. they also allow you to offer yearly raises at 15% rather than 10%, making it more costly for other teams to match that bid.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 166)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby silentjim » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:55 pm

I feel like there's a loophole in the Birds rights/free agent structure.

If you wanted to offer Morrow for example a 3 million dollar deal for two years could you scully?
silentjim

Postby silentjim » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:56 pm

DVauthrin wrote:
silentjim wrote:Final question: What does this league define Bird's Rights as?

players have bird rights if they have spent at least one full year on a team's roster. those rights allow you to go over the soft cap to resign them as long as team salary is still within 80M after resigning them. they also allow you to offer yearly raises at 15% rather than 10%, making it more costly for other teams to match that bid.

This is what is written up and I assumed, but the issue becomes priority. This is where the loophole existed in real life as well. And since we don't talk to players/ don't have any real control over the expiration of time, how do we figure out the combination of Free Agents and players with Birds Rights, which would allow most teams to over the soft cap?
silentjim

Postby KalElen » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:00 pm

scully19 wrote:
silentjim wrote:

No you couldn't. You could sign Jordan to 7.18 (0.25 saved for Morrow's cap hold) and then spend what you want on Morrow after you signed Jordan, but you can't spend them at the same time. You are either going to try to sign Morrow for less and thus have more cap space, or sign someone before Morrow because he is going to be getting a raise and you want as much cap space as possible.

exactly. all of your active offers combined have to be within what you can offer by the cap rules. if you have only mle at your disposal, you can for instance offer 2 3M contracts at the same time, but as long as you hold 3M high bid on one of those players you can't increase your offer to the other one if your 3M offer to that other one is outbid. you can offer 6M to one player and 0.25 min offer to the other. your morrow situation might look a little strange, but that's how it is in real nba and we copied that rule from there
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap