2012/13 season discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2012/13 season discussion

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby Fenris-77 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:04 am

That was my point, the example to explain how the system works isn't coherent. I'm happy to just ignore the last example, but I wonder if that's the whole problem. I also think that compound interest is a (waaaaay) over-complicated way of doing things (especially when we already had issues with much more basic salary calculations last year) but I missed my chance to disagree with any consequence, so whatevs.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 410)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby dasein » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:21 am

umm..so does the bidding happen on this message board or somewhere else?
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 431)

Re: Waived players thread 2010/2011

Postby scully19 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:22 am

One of the maths is wrong between me and you, and that has me concerned.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... =en#gid=17
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 195)

Postby scully19 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:25 am

Create a thread with the managers name if the player has bird rights to someone, and the name of the player in the title, then make your bid inside.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby scully19 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:13 am

I went ahead and rearranged the team salaries, moved the waived players part back to the top, and put changed the middle section to the MLE section so that we can easily keep track of how much money was spent using the MLE and track the limit easier.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby KalElen » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:02 am

yeah, my bad on this one
each extra year adds 25% value to the average contract.
example:
10+10+10+10
equals
12+12+12
equals
15+15
of course you need to outbid an offer, not match it, so keep that in mind

10+10+10+10 => average is 10
min that can be offered in that price range is 2 years so 3rd and 4th are considered extra years. each extra year adds 25% value to the average contract => 3rd year adds 25% and 4th year adds 25% to the average contract meaning average contract is increased by 50% thus what was 10(10+10+10+10) becomes 15(10+10+10+10)
12+12+12 => average is 12
3rd year adds 25% making it 15(12+12+12)
15+15
no extra years
15(15+15)
at least that's the way i understood the amendment

when trying t outbid shorter contract with a longer one you have to decide do you increase it by one or two years (if that is even allowed under rules) and then in case of increasing it by one year have average salary of 80% of the original offer + amount required to outbid or if it's by two years 66.67% + amount required to outbid
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Re: Waived players thread 2010/2011

Postby KalElen » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:08 am

Fenris-77 wrote:Renouncing the cap holds on Ron Artest and Thabo Sefalosha. That should bring the team salary for 2010 down to 61.8M.

you currently have
Dwyane Wade
Chris Bosh
Spencer Hawes
Russell Westbrook
Ed Davis
Patrick Patterson
Dominique Jones
Terrence Williams
Allen Iverson (waived)
mle
Manu Ginobili
on your books making it 60.2
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby silentjim » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:43 pm

None of this makes any sense to me. It seems to have gotten even more complicated which I don't think we were trying to do.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 791)

Postby silentjim » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:37 pm

I'll add that I don't see what this is actually fixing or correcting either.

My original issue was anyone with Birds Right for a player can have a Birds Right player and a Free Agent up for auction at the same time. Technically managers under the cap have two different dollar values (caps) to deal with.

For example. I have 50 million dollars of salary taken up and 5 million cap hold for birds rights for a total of 55 million dollars.

This gives the manager 10 million to sign free agents with. Theoretically the manager would choose to sign his Bird Rights player last since you can sign bird rights players over the softcap up to hard cap which means you could have an additional 15 million (80-65) to sign your bird rights players after signing regular free agents.

So, it is in another managers best interest to put up for auction other teams birds rights players first, so that they reach 24 hours and are counted in the original managers cap while said manager is still under the soft cap.

Basically is used properly a manager can have as much as 25 million to sign players in the above example, or as little as 10 million if the timing for signing players isn't set properly.

We simply need to separate or say which players are signed first.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 791)

Postby Markos » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:18 pm

This was my concern too, it seems whoever's free agents auctions end early are going to get screwed, and whoever's drag on are going to win out. Simply put, it seems arbitrary who is going to do well in free agency, dependent upon which auctions are wrapped up early.

This is why I suggested when a GM wins an auction to retain their own player with bird rights, their new contract shouldn't immediately replace the cap hold. Rather, for the time being their cap hold would remain in place while the other auctions continue.

For example, I match bids on Jamal Crawford, whose auction ends before all other FA's. But rather than having to add his new $8m x 3 contract immediately to the books, putting me over the cap and therefore having to cancel or cease bidding in all the other still-live auctions, I carry on like before, only paying attention to how Jamal's $8m might effect my hard cap.

Or more simply, I reach an agreement with Jamal, sign the papers, but I don't hand them into the commisioner's office until I'm done pursuing other free agents.
Eradicating Marijuana one blunt at a time
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 5)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap