2012/13 season discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2012/13 season discussion

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby scully19 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:28 pm

Bird rights are not the same as RFA. Bird rights you can spend more than the soft cap to hold onto these players, but you still need to win the auction. Restricted Free Agents you can match the auctions winning bid if you want and you win no matter what.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 195)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby silentjim » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:31 pm

scully19 wrote:Bird rights are not the same as RFA. Bird rights you can spend more than the soft cap to hold onto these players, but you still need to win the auction. Restricted Free Agents you can match the auctions winning bid if you want and you win no matter what.

I know Birds Rights are not the same as RFAs. My question was if we aren't even really using RFA, except for rookies, then why introduce an even more complicated salary cap element such a Birds Rights? It doesn't seem to make any sense.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 791)

Re: Andre Blatche (therobsays)

Postby scully19 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:35 pm

This bid is illegal, you have 2.2m is play already, and only have 6 mill in MLE, 3.8m is the max you can bid. You can release players from your cap hold and then be able to spend your 8 mill under the cap.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby scully19 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:02 am

To make that bid I think you may technically have to renounce the MLE, but I'm not positive.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby dch17 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:41 am

I've waived 2 players (camby 5m, maggette 0.7m), I don't go over the soft cap according to my calculations.
dch17
Playground Pundit
Playground Pundit

Postby KalElen » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:07 am

camby was waived before the bid was placed so it's valid bid
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Fenris-77 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:51 pm

I think that next year we should all have the option to not sign our second round picks. Having guaranteed money for second round guys is a little loony. I'm not sure they should even exert a cap hold really. Having guaranteed money for second round guys really lowers the value of those picks, since for the most part none of them will be even remotely worth playing in their first year and they still take up a roster slot. That's my two cents anyway, and I guess I can bring it back up next offseason.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 410)

Postby silentjim » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:58 pm

Fenris-77 wrote:I think that next year we should all have the option to not sign our second round picks. Having guaranteed money for second round guys is a little loony. I'm not sure they should even exert a cap hold really. Having guaranteed money for second round guys really lowers the value of those picks, since for the most part none of them will be even remotely worth playing in their first year and they still take up a roster slot. That's my two cents anyway, and I guess I can bring it back up next offseason.

I agree with this as well.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 791)

Postby Markos » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:09 pm

Scully, I don't see how it advantages teams with a lot of players with bird rights as much as you think. First, we still need to stay under the hard cap regardless. Having the bird rights to a player doesn't mean I can just go out and blow my cap space, then walk back into the office and sign half a dozen of my own guys simply using bird rights. I have $15m I can add to the cap holds, so if I have a few guys in line for significant raises and there is even just one team out there with cap space and making offers then I will have to choose between bidding on anyone else's free agents, or letting my own guys walk. Secondly, beating whatever offer is placed on my own guys is likely going to mean I overpay for them, which in turn bites me in the ass the moment I want to trade one of them, as noone wants the guys with the hefty contracts given buyouts are at 75%.

I'm not saying the advantage is insignificant, in fact I think the advantage should be significant since the whole concept of bird rights is to allow teams to keep their rosters relatively intact, so they aren't punished for drafting/trading for quality players. It is a balance thing, and given none of us have been through offseason free agency here we are all speculating on what the end result will be. My concern, like silentjim, is that the current scenario will reward teams in a very arbitrary manner, it will reward teams whose auctions end later, whereas with the scenario I suggested we are rewarding teams with the ability to keep their rosters intact, up to the point the hard cap allows.

You've argued the advantage in holding bird rights then becomes pervasive, but I think given teams will still only have $15m between the two caps, and that GM's would be shooting themselves in the foot signing all but one, perhaps two of their guys to that kind of coin, it isn't necessarily so
Eradicating Marijuana one blunt at a time
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 5)

Postby scully19 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:25 pm

The calculations are right, but you still own the MLE which you shouldn't because it represents a cap hold, so you technically have .53 is free space if not using the cap.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap