2012/13 season discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2012/13 season discussion

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby RedHopeful » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:23 pm

silentjim wrote:
Fenris-77 wrote:I think that next year we should all have the option to not sign our second round picks. Having guaranteed money for second round guys is a little loony. I'm not sure they should even exert a cap hold really. Having guaranteed money for second round guys really lowers the value of those picks, since for the most part none of them will be even remotely worth playing in their first year and they still take up a roster slot. That's my two cents anyway, and I guess I can bring it back up next offseason.

I agree with this as well.

That's funny you bring this up Fenris because Jim and I discussed this exact thing last night and came to the same conclusion.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 706)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Andre Blatche (therobsays)

Postby KalElen » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:27 pm

scully19 wrote:The calculations are right, but you still own the MLE which you shouldn't because it represents a cap hold, so you technically have .53 is free space if not using the cap.

yeah, i didn't look at the bottom of the file, but at 56.9 displayed under the list of all players. by renouncing mle dch17 can get as far as 6.53 under the cap and that's the max starting salary he can offer without making any other moves
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby DVauthrin » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:45 pm

RedHopeful wrote:
silentjim wrote:
Fenris-77 wrote:I think that next year we should all have the option to not sign our second round picks. Having guaranteed money for second round guys is a little loony. I'm not sure they should even exert a cap hold really. Having guaranteed money for second round guys really lowers the value of those picks, since for the most part none of them will be even remotely worth playing in their first year and they still take up a roster slot. That's my two cents anyway, and I guess I can bring it back up next offseason.

That's funny you bring this up Fenris because Jim and I discussed this exact thing last night and came to the same conclusion.

It's not just a good idea, it's the way it's done in the NBA. 2nd round draft picks in the NBA do not have guaranteed contracts. Teams have to sign their second round picks after the draft.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 166)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Fenris-77 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:11 pm

There's also the matter of the rookie scale, which in the NBA doesn't apply to second round picks. So maybe we should discuss a different set of salary parameters for those guys rather than the one we're using this year. Mind you, I'm also ok using the one we've got provided it's not mandatory.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 410)

Postby coffeeman » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:28 pm

Crikey these rules are complex.

He is .53 under the soft cap. I guess 6.53 if you include renouncing the MLE. So does he have a valid bid or does he not have one until he renounces his MLE.

And am I correct in thinking that since I am over the soft cap even without any cap holds and the MLE that I am locked out of the bidding for Blatche if his bid is valid.
coffeeman
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Postby coffeeman » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:40 pm

DVauthrin wrote:
RedHopeful wrote:
silentjim wrote:

It's not just a good idea, it's the way it's done in the NBA. 2nd round draft picks in the NBA do not have guaranteed contracts. Teams have to sign their second round picks after the draft.[/quote

I know I don't generally contribute to this discussion but I have had the same thoughts and I strongly agree. I not ony don't like my 2nd round's pick's salary counting now but unless his preseason proves he will contribute a lot my guy will get cut. If he can't even make my team why should half his salary count against my $ this year. And if I cut him a nominal amount will count next year. Goofy.
coffeeman
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Postby barrec » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:10 pm

coffeeman wrote:
DVauthrin wrote:
RedHopeful wrote:That's funny you bring this up Fenris because Jim and I discussed this exact thing last night and came to the same conclusion.

It's not just a good idea, it's the way it's done in the NBA. 2nd round draft picks in the NBA do not have guaranteed contracts. Teams have to sign their second round picks after the draft.[/quote

I know I don't generally contribute to this discussion but I have had the same thoughts and I strongly agree. I not ony don't like my 2nd round's pick's salary counting now but unless his preseason proves he will contribute a lot my guy will get cut. If he can't even make my team why should half his salary count against my $ this year. And if I cut him a nominal amount will count next year. Goofy.

I think the difference between NBA signing 2nd round picks and a 16-team fantasy league signing picks has to do with the number of available FAs in our league. We just need roughly half the players in the NBA to fill out rosters in our entire league. Stats come down to playing time, and the playing time a typical 2nd rounder will get in his first year is going to be less than a good number of FAs available to our teams.

I am not sure if warrants a change next season, but I would say that generally, we are currently forced to sign/roster players (or take a small cap hit) that will generally contribute less to our team than available FAs.

The advantage of owning rights to a rookie, obviously, is their potential and being able to hold on to them for a number of years if they flourish. So maybe it would be worthwhile talking about making signing 2nd round picks optional next year.
Irony is the strongest force in the universe.
barrec
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 88)

Postby DVauthrin » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:16 pm

Until dch17 renounces his MLE in the waived players thread, coffeeman should lead for Blatche.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 166)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Fenris-77 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:20 pm

I have a question about cap holds. I have a 4M cap hold from Manu, whom I also currently have a FA bid in on. I'm assuming that the bid I have in doesn't stack with the cap hold. Essentially Manu will count at 4M until I sign him for less, someone else signs him, or I bid more than 4M for him. That's the only way that whole process makes any sense to me, but I that doesn't mean that's the way it actually works. :-D
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 410)

Postby dch17 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:22 pm

nvm
dch17
Playground Pundit
Playground Pundit

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap