2012/13 season discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2012/13 season discussion

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby scully19 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:04 pm

Actually I think it does stack, but I guess now with it needing to sign longer term deals I think it would make everything easier to be able to spend the retaining amount seperately for people with bird rights. Since spending too much is going to kill long term money.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 198)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby silentjim » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:17 pm

scully19 wrote:Actually I think it does stack, but I guess now with it needing to sign longer term deals I think it would make everything easier to be able to spend the retaining amount seperately for people with bird rights. Since spending too much is going to kill long term money.

There's no way it could stack. We should probably just count the greater of the two amounts against the cap until the time frame ends for that player. If the player is then signed by the birds right holder for less than the cap, then they would get the difference back if they are under the cap.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 794)

Postby scully19 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:25 pm

I think I misunderstood, I thought he was talking about Manu (who he owns) and Camby who he is bidding for, and if that basically makes it so he can't sign em with the MLE, but he has a bunch of cap space anyways, so it doesn't matter.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 198)

Re: Andre Blatche (therobsays)

Postby coffeeman » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:02 pm

dch17 wrote:Renounced MLE - my original offer is now valid

Agreed. Now can someone tell me if I have any options here. I believe I have only the MLE(6M) to spend and can bid no higher.
coffeeman
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Postby dasein » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:20 pm

Fenris-77 wrote:I think that next year we should all have the option to not sign our second round picks. Having guaranteed money for second round guys is a little loony. I'm not sure they should even exert a cap hold really. Having guaranteed money for second round guys really lowers the value of those picks, since for the most part none of them will be even remotely worth playing in their first year and they still take up a roster slot. That's my two cents anyway, and I guess I can bring it back up next offseason.

Yup. I can easily envision a situation where there are many sellers of picks, but no buyers. Why not just add rookies as free agents- no draft at all. I'm also wondering if this complex cap system, bird FAs etc is actually adding anything to the game or detracting from it. Am thinking that simplifying it right down, with only a single hard cap might be the way to go. I'll have a think and should have some better ideas before next season. ;-)
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 435)

Postby dasein » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:40 pm

It looks like a few FAs have been won now. So is there champagne popped or something? How do we know its official? Should there be a post showing all the claimed FAs with winning bids or something?
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 435)

Postby So-Tex » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:49 pm

dasein wrote:
Fenris-77 wrote:I think that next year we should all have the option to not sign our second round picks. Having guaranteed money for second round guys is a little loony. I'm not sure they should even exert a cap hold really. Having guaranteed money for second round guys really lowers the value of those picks, since for the most part none of them will be even remotely worth playing in their first year and they still take up a roster slot. That's my two cents anyway, and I guess I can bring it back up next offseason.

Yup. I can easily envision a situation where there are many sellers of picks, but no buyers. Why not just add rookies as free agents- no draft at all. I'm also wondering if this complex cap system, bird FAs etc is actually adding anything to the game or detracting from it. Am thinking that simplifying it right down, with only a single hard cap might be the way to go. I'll have a think and should have some better ideas before next season. ;-)

That's what I'm seeing as well. Now that free agency bidding has started, it kinda has me confused. I understand the procedure and all (I've even got a player named and bid on at the moment), but once I use up my mle, that means I can't bid on any more of these guys because I can only offer minimum contracts? I'm over the soft cap, and that's the way I understand the rule as it's written, which kinda sucks for me.

Also, the idea that I need to roster a certain number of players for the regular season has me scratching my head as well. That means I have to sign a bunch of scrubs, or get lucky that no one else in this league wants the same late round talent I do. And if I have to sign guys, I'd rather be given the opportunity to bid out until I hit the hard cap - that way, I can decide who's worth the money vs how many players I need to be within the rules. Being able to offer only minimums AND having to fill a roster with at least five other players is somewhat of a pretty strict handcuff if you ask me.

Sorry if this is coming out now instead of earlier, but I had to see things in action first just to get a better understanding of it all.
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 217)

Postby barrec » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:50 pm

dasein wrote:

I still like the idea of a draft. We've talked a lot about the lottery odds and how that should play in, but I think it's important to give bottom teams the best chance to draft good young talent, like the NBA. If we made all rookies FAs then it really just be whichever team has the most cap space and not a team necessarily in need.

With the ongoing discussion of Bird rights, RFAs and what, I've also wondered if simpler is better - ie having just a simple hard cap. However I like the extra challenge of operating with two caps (both for the fun of it and for mimicking the NBA), but agree that there doesn't seem to be a direct incentive to stay at or below the soft cap like there is in the NBA (saving money). Since we're not spending real money going over the cap, there's no inherit penalty to do so. Maybe we could discuss possible incentives for it next season.
Irony is the strongest force in the universe.
barrec
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 88)

Postby DVauthrin » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:52 pm

dasein wrote:It looks like a few FAs have been won now. So is there champagne popped or something? How do we know its official? Should there be a post showing all the claimed FAs with winning bids or something?

There will be a thread showing all the winning bids.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 166)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KalElen » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:58 pm

you can renounce any pick, 1st or 2nd rounder at any moment before you use it. after you draft a player with it he is on your payroll and that's final. 2nd rounders get one guaranteed year at low cost so i'm definitely against messing with that. you can just renounce your 2nd rounder if there is nobody good available

no stacking up, manu situation works exactly as fernis described it
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap