Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2012/13 season discussion

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby silentjim » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:27 am

Can someone who can, just nominate Trevor Ariza then? Or any other player? :-B
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 794)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby DVauthrin » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:37 am

silentjim wrote:Can someone who can, just nominate Trevor Ariza then? Or any other player? :-B

You could nominate Morrow, you know? :-D

If you don't want to do that ask hi chi, Kal(he can nominate too), or dasein. Hi chi and Kal can nominate two guys and dasein can nominate a guy that isn't his own free agent.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 166)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dasein » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:44 am

So-Tex wrote:Not just that - I'm still worried about how I'm going to fill my roster with minimum contract guys, especially if I nominate them at the minimum and they get sniped from me because I can't sign them to higher contracts (I'm over the soft cap).

This rebuilding year is going to give me a headache... :*)

One thing that I'm starting to suspect is that the system may result in most players being undervalued. If you plug our settings into BBM, then a Durant or LeBron is worth about $20, which is where we have them and this is fine. It also seems that many of the contracts from the initial draft are about right too. But once the initial draft is done, and new additions come through free agency, the contracts don't seem like they reflect players values as well. So we have guys worth $10 going for $5, and guys worth $5 going for $1.

I think this is because the vast majority of new contracts are going to come from the MLE; most teams don't have enough cap space to go higher, even if they wanted to. Those that do have some cap space will likely use most of it to obtain a stud, or are competing for B-class players with managers who only have the MLE available, and therefore have no need to pay true value. Combine these factors and I predict a disproportionately low number of FA contracts greater than MLE. In terms of scale, there are 90-odd players that warrant a higher salary than $6. How many contracts greater than 6M will be handed out during this FA period? Any? I'm not sure how this is going to play out over time, or if there will be a "market correction" at some stage. Interested to hear the thoughts of you guys though. :-)
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 434)

Postby scully19 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:29 am

Is hi chi's bid on Travor Ariza legal? Technically since it is out there at the same time as another bid i believe he is now winning with Luis Scola, I believe it is not legal, but I think since we have the rules in place that if someone wants to overpay their player they have bird rights on, it will cost them in the long run and they should be able to do exactly that. So I think bird right players should not be counted against the cap in combination with the MLE. They should be able to resign their player to what the can, then go out and sign someone to MLE as well.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 196)

Postby hi chi » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:35 am

So I can't use my MLE AND a bird right player at the same time?????? :-? If not then I am completly bamboozled by the rules.
hi chi
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 132)

Postby RocketsDWM » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:40 am

Can someone explain to me the difference between the soft and hard cap? I know this is probably elementary but I'm trying to learn here. So I can go up to 80 M in salary per season (the hard cap)? What is the soft cap for?
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 145)

Postby RocketsDWM » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:59 am

-after using up or forfeiting mle, teams over the (soft) cap can only offer one year min salary deals to free agents. these offers can be extended only if mle is not available

So I can't go over the soft cap so I have basically have 6 M to spend (since I renounced my MLE and I am at approx. 59M)
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 145)

Postby DVauthrin » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:35 am

hi chi wrote:So I can't use my MLE AND a bird right player at the same time?????? :-? If not then I am completly bamboozled by the rules.

You absolutely should be able to sign someone with your MLE while bidding on your own bird rights free agent. Both bids are valid in my mind.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby DVauthrin » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:39 am

RocketsDWM wrote:
-after using up or forfeiting mle, teams over the (soft) cap can only offer one year min salary deals to free agents. these offers can be extended only if mle is not available

So I can't go over the soft cap so I have basically have 6 M to spend (since I renounced my MLE and I am at approx. 59M)

Correct. By renouncing the MLE you can spend 6.41M in salary for this season instead of 6M.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

Postby dch17 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:57 am

DVauthrin wrote:
hi chi wrote:So I can't use my MLE AND a bird right player at the same time?????? :-? If not then I am completly bamboozled by the rules.

You absolutely should be able to sign someone with your MLE while bidding on your own bird rights free agent. Both bids are valid in my mind.

So if I'm capped (soft cap) by my offers to free agents I can still bid on my bird right players?
dch17
Playground Pundit
Playground Pundit

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap