2012/13 season discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe


Return to FBC Salary Cap

2012/13 season discussion

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby coffeeman » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:00 pm

Wow . What did I start with Jarrett Jack. Didn''t think this would happen. That is the first time I have ever nominated a player this year or last. I actually wanted the guy and didnt picture him going past 1M. Now I know why I didn't nominate before............
coffeeman
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster


Posts: 259
Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: Kent, Washington

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby Fenris-77 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:49 pm

Man, this auction is going to take an awfully long time if hardly anyone nominates any players. :-C
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 6300
(Past Year: 410)
Joined: 10 Jul 2008
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby So-Tex » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:21 pm

RedHopeful wrote:Just to make sure that everyone is on the same page - 14 players is the absolute maximum number of players teams may start the season with. Noticed a few rosters, some have added a spot or two extra for rookies...

Now that Red brought that up, it's reminded me of another rule I was going to ask about. This specifically:

-during the season every team must be able to start 9 players on any given day, meaning that it needs to be able to cover all positions at the same time

My question is, does that mean I have to be able to start 9 players every night? Right now, I'm thinking it's just set your line up as usual, but every time I gloss over this rule, it throws me, only because I would think that even with 14 players on the roster, this would be hard to do. Sometimes with back-to-backs involved, it's possible - but otherwise it's a pretty long stretch.

It's not a big issue with me or anything, but I just thought I'd ask since the wording keeps throwing for a loop.
Image
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 1039
(Past Year: 217)
Joined: 19 Aug 2009
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: South Texas, USA

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby KalElen » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:27 pm

So-Tex wrote:
RedHopeful wrote:Just to make sure that everyone is on the same page - 14 players is the absolute maximum number of players teams may start the season with. Noticed a few rosters, some have added a spot or two extra for rookies...

Now that Red brought that up, it's reminded me of another rule I was going to ask about. This specifically:

-during the season every team must be able to start 9 players on any given day, meaning that it needs to be able to cover all positions at the same time

My question is, does that mean I have to be able to start 9 players every night? Right now, I'm thinking it's just set your line up as usual, but every time I gloss over this rule, it throws me, only because I would think that even with 14 players on the roster, this would be hard to do. Sometimes with back-to-backs involved, it's possible - but otherwise it's a pretty long stretch.

It's not a big issue with me or anything, but I just thought I'd ask since the wording keeps throwing for a loop.

that's what you get when among 15 native english speakers you get only guy who isn't to write the rules :-D
anyway the point of that rule is not to be have 9 players playing every day, which is impossible because there are days when only 2-3 games are played, but to have all positions covered. for instance you have to have at least 3 guards and among them at least one pg and at least one sg
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Posts: 4208
Joined: 18 Aug 2008
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: Smederevo, Serbia

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby scully19 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:31 pm

That's why I'm nominating when I can whether or not I actually expect to be able to get that player. We just need more guys to bid on.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach


Posts: 1338
(Past Year: 196)
Joined: 8 Aug 2009
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:28 pm

scully19 wrote:That's why I'm nominating when I can whether or not I actually expect to be able to get that player. We just need more guys to bid on.

Since I'm full, I'm done - not going to nominate anyone just to watch I end up with the guy and burn my remaining MLE. Next year, we should write into the rules that those with less than full rosters must nominate 1 guy every x amount of hours/days. That way the strategy of waiting till the end to land ideal choice when everyone's cash is low doesn't take precedent over finishing the auction in a timely manner.

I suggest those remaining add an addendum (through majority vote - which I'll support if need be) stating you can nominate more than what the rules provide for currently...
Image
RedHopeful
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18233
(Past Year: 706)
Joined: 11 Jul 2007
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: http://twitter.com/Redhopeful

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby dasein » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:38 pm

I'm done too. I've no problem with any rule changes that speed this up.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

User avatar

Posts: 916
(Past Year: 433)
Joined: 19 Aug 2010
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby So-Tex » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:57 pm

Thanks Kal, for that other clarification. ;-D

As far as this goes:

RedHopeful wrote:
scully19 wrote:That's why I'm nominating when I can whether or not I actually expect to be able to get that player. We just need more guys to bid on.

Since I'm full, I'm done - not going to nominate anyone just to watch I end up with the guy and burn my remaining MLE. Next year, we should write into the rules that those with less than full rosters must nominate 1 guy every x amount of hours/days. That way the strategy of waiting till the end to land ideal choice when everyone's cash is low doesn't take precedent over finishing the auction in a timely manner.

I suggest those remaining add an addendum (through majority vote - which I'll support if need be) stating you can nominate more than what the rules provide for currently...

I agree. Not to sound too extreme or overly aggressive, but maybe the number of players one can nominate should equal the number of empty bench slots they have. I, for example, have 3 slots remaining (since I just picked up Kleiza and made a 2 for 1 trade the other day). So I could be allowed to nominate 3 more players who I would want to have on my roster.

The way it's set up now, the "strategy" I'm sensing is to nominate someone else even though you have no desire to pick that player up. I'm not saying anyone is actually doing this, by no means. But it seems to lend itself to that mindset. At least with this other way, you would have a shot at getting one guy to stick right off the bat, while one or two others would be bid on by other managers.

And you wouldn't be forced to nominate X number of players - you could nominate as many at a time as you wanted, so long as you didn't go over your allowed limit. This would be the case if, say at the beginning of the auction, you wanted to make sure you got a really good FA, but you didn't want to lock up your MLE in too many players. That strategy I get. But after certain guys have gone off the board, everything else [is just a shot] in the dark - maybe you get someone useful, maybe you don't. But at least you wouldn't have to wait around until each auction ended.
Image
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 1039
(Past Year: 217)
Joined: 19 Aug 2009
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: South Texas, USA

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby DVauthrin » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:04 pm

I would love to nominate some other guys, but according to the rules I have to wait until J.R. Smith clears to nominate anyone else. Otherwise, I would have nominated plenty of guys by now.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 6341
(Past Year: 166)
Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby barrec » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:15 pm

I'll take my queue and nominate one or today tonight ;o). I was happy to watch for a while and get feet wet in other auctions first.
Irony is the strongest force in the universe.
barrec
College Captain
College Captain

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 420
(Past Year: 88)
Joined: 12 Jul 2010
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: Gresham, OR

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: scully19 and 0 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues




  • Fantasy Basketball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact