2012/13 season discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2012/13 season discussion

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby RedHopeful » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:01 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:Nevermind, found the key. Still need to know about RW. Thanks. ;-D

RW is a salary modifier that we use here for players that are waived while still under contract. In essence, when a player is waived you still have to pay him a portion of his contract. Roughly, you still owe 75% of present year salary and 50% on all additional years of contract.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 708)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby KalElen » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:31 pm

Markos wrote:Yeah, but thats a very subjective call.

Money should decide all but the cases where a player has multiple bids like max offers, MLE or LLE. In those cases we want a tiebreaker that is both simple and clear cut. Rolling a dice works for me.

we decided last year that we want no randomness here and that's why we implemented points system. as i said, it's not a good system but it's one we prefer to any random factors, as long as we can avoid them

i'm against adding realism by increasing use of points system. not because it complicates things, but because i want to avoid points system as much as possible

RocketsDWM wrote:What's the cap #?

You are going ot hate me by the end of the season for all of these questions. :-D My apologies beforehand.

don't worry, i don't mind the questions one bit, but i would encourage you to carefully read rules thread. cap numbers are listed over there, soft cap 65M, hard cap 80M

scully19 wrote:so i know this is a little late but I didn't think off it until another keeper league, but shouldn't draft order be based on regular season standings?

nope. lottery odds are based mostly on regular season standings, but that's it. lottery odds are there to discourage tanking and encourage teams to play to win every single week
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby scully19 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:41 pm

Alright, I don' really remember having a discussion about this, but that seems to make no sense based on the 'copying the nba as much as possible' thing we are going for here.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 198)

Postby KalElen » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:53 pm

scully19 wrote:Alright, I don' really remember having a discussion about this, but that seems to make no sense based on the 'copying the nba as much as possible' thing we are going for here.

copying the nba is not 1st on my list of priorities for this league. having good fair rules is. copying comes 2nd and in this case is in direct conflict with 1st as far as i'm concerned. if majority disagrees with me, i'll change the rules, but i'm making my opinion known
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby scully19 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:13 pm

First off, man is it annoying that people have different names for their teams when we essentially need to talk on here. Always makes it more confusing that it needs to be just trying to figure out who they are.

Second, I'm not talking about changing anything to do with discouraging tanking, I'm on boards with that. I'm confused more with what happens at the top of the league. Like snake EASILY winning the league standings and then ends up with the 11th pick instead of the last pick. This doesn't exactly seem to follow the whole fair thing too much does it? Closest person was 8.5 games out, then 17.5. This team generally speaking seems like far and away the best of the league and they have a better chance of improving that 5 other teams because they got unlucky in the playoffs.

EDIT: OK, wow, I know I joined this league when most of the rules were already written and i had to try to catch up, so wasn't up on everything that happened, and admittedly had to skim some parts a bit. THIS was clearly one of them. I REALLY don't get how the 3rd place person deserves 2% chance at winning the lottery. Because when they lose in the semi's they don't not try in the consolation finals? How does this even matter?

I thought the tanking would have to do with preventing people from throwing the last weeks of regular season to get a lower draft pick, and not about tanking in the playoffs. That shouldn't even matter at all for measuring the draft picks. Playoffs are separate from the regular season and I don't think should have an effect. If you want to prevent tanking then you should include 8th into the list of teams that have a good shot at the first pick.

I can't believe I'm just catching this now, because I don't like most of what goes on (though I'm cool with the regular season 9-16 results)

Maybe have a prize for winning the playoffs and the consolation finals of a chance of winning the lottery, but if failed then everything goes by regular season rankings and not a guaranteed higher draft position.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby scully19 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:40 pm

Obviously this is something we can't change this season, but I think it is equally obvious that this is something that should be changed for the next season.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Markos » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:05 pm

Agreed, I think playoff teams should just use regular standings for their lottery order. I&d go further again and just have odds based on the NBA's, it's fairly well documented that finishing last is no guarantee of landing the first pick come the day of the lottery
Eradicating Marijuana one blunt at a time
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 5)

Postby scully19 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:21 pm

I'd be cool with that too, considering last place usually is the worst team and does deserve an extra bump, and on top of that even this system encourages tanking, just in the middle of the standings instead of the bottom. If you're an 8th place team in the last week of the regular season with an average team as you should have at that position, why not lose a couple extra cats, finish 9th and have the best shot at getting the top draft pick. Strategically speaking this would be a very smart strategy. Either way there is a place in our league where tanking would be smart (though gay).
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby scully19 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:34 am

Worked on a free agent list for everyone. what i did was take the top 224 players ranked by BBM and cut out everyone on a team. I'm pretty sure it is right, but if everyone wants to check to see if guys they own are on the list than that would help out everyone. It is not a complete list as, from the list of 224, only 89 remain, so consider it a work in progress that people can improve upon.

https://www.yousendit.com/dl?phi_action ... R0x2Wmc9PQ

FYI: this only lasts for 7 days, so if someone wants to upload elsewhere more permanent that works for me. Should probably wait for the more updated list though.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby scully19 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:51 am

I hate to be the guy that questions things later than I should be, but shouldn't the second round be based entirely on standings?
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap