2012/13 season discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2012/13 season discussion

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby KalElen » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:27 pm

silentjim wrote:I'm down.

Very pleased to land Teague for .35M for two years. Could pay huge dividends. ;-D

i was away and i didn't anticipate him coming up yet. at that price, you've got no risk, solid reward player

as for increasing number of players, i'm reluctant to change rules without more support. besides, we still have plenty of time and most teams are almost filled. i'm not sure we need such change
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby scully19 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:42 pm

Because it is painstakingly and boringly slow. There is no point in dragging the signing of 3 guys on a team out over 3 weeks because there is plenty of time. It's pointless waste of time based on amount of time available. If everything got crammed together everyone would be happier to have it done early (including you, who still has to input every player by hand).

Clearly I am on the increase amount nominated camp, and I don't even have a roster spot to fill.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 195)

Postby Fenris-77 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:47 pm

I'm not really advocating for more players, per se, just that the two player per GM limitation be opened up to make it two FAs period, not just one FA and one Bird FA (now that there aren't any Bird FAs of any note left). I don't think the auction will get out of hand should we open it up either, not when a bunch of guys are aleady not nominating anyone. Anyway, we'd naturally need some goodly portion of the GMs to be on board to change anything, but I don't think, in this case, that there will be any difficulty there, aside from some guys not being on enough to notice that there's a rules amendment on the table.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 410)

Postby dasein » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:38 pm

like I've said before, I've got no problem with anything like this. I'm just waiting for the season to start... ;-)
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 433)

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:41 pm

dasein wrote:like I've said before, I've got no problem with anything like this. I'm just waiting for the season to start... ;-)

Likewise...
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 703)

Postby barrec » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:43 pm

I'm game. I'll keep nominating, too.
Irony is the strongest force in the universe.
barrec
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 88)

Postby TheRobSays » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:43 am

I'm cool with whatever as well. Still want to deal with this free agent points things as well.
TheRobSays
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 72)

Postby DVauthrin » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:46 am

Fenris-77 wrote:I'm not really advocating for more players, per se, just that the two player per GM limitation be opened up to make it two FAs period, not just one FA and one Bird FA (now that there aren't any Bird FAs of any note left). I don't think the auction will get out of hand should we open it up either, not when a bunch of guys are aleady not nominating anyone. Anyway, we'd naturally need some goodly portion of the GMs to be on board to change anything, but I don't think, in this case, that there will be any difficulty there, aside from some guys not being on enough to notice that there's a rules amendment on the table.

I agree with this post entirely. I nominated Calderon last tuesday and he didn't close until yesterday. Based on the previous rule, I was prohibited from nominating any other free agents until he did. It just seems like the restriction on nominations is hindering the process now rather than helping it.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 166)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby So-Tex » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:09 am

DVauthrin wrote:
Fenris-77 wrote:I'm not really advocating for more players, per se, just that the two player per GM limitation be opened up to make it two FAs period, not just one FA and one Bird FA (now that there aren't any Bird FAs of any note left). I don't think the auction will get out of hand should we open it up either, not when a bunch of guys are aleady not nominating anyone. Anyway, we'd naturally need some goodly portion of the GMs to be on board to change anything, but I don't think, in this case, that there will be any difficulty there, aside from some guys not being on enough to notice that there's a rules amendment on the table.

I agree with this post entirely. I nominated Calderon last tuesday and he didn't close until yesterday. Based on the previous rule, I was prohibited from nominating any other free agents until he did. It just seems like the restriction on nominations is hindering the process now rather than helping it.

As we'd say here in south Texas, "Te dije!" (pronounced "teh...the [as in "The quick brown fox...]...heh. Teh...the...heh. Te dije!" - there's your Spanish lesson for the day, kiddos - but don't ask me for more though, because all you'll get is puro Tex-Mex "Spanglish"! :-D )

In other words, "I told you so!"

Not trying to pile on or anything like that, but that's exactly what I was talking about some time ago, when the whole free agency thing started up. Like I said, I saw it possibly happening then - and now, here we are.

But again, I'm not trying to bicker or complain because I know that doesn't solve anything. We do need to keep this as an ongoing discussion so that maybe at the worst, next season we can revamp the process. Otherwise, we'll all forget about it over time, next year will come around, and it won't be a priority again until after it hits us this same time next year.

Like I've said before, I'm on board with any tweaks or changes we make, even if it's just for this season or just for the next few weeks, as long as it helps the process along.

And even though I've already got the minimum required number of players for my squad (12 if I'm reading the rules thread correctly), I still want to pick up those two extra guys just to get my group to 14 - so yes, I'll still be nominating until I max out. ;-D
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 217)

Postby Fenris-77 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:35 am

I'm going to disagree with you. The point of the rule is to prevent one or two GMs having all their FAs up for auction at the same time. It might have seemed a little slow this year, but it's essential for an offseason like next year, where several times as many FAs hit the market (including a bunch of top tier guys. I'm not suggesting that we change the rule at all for the first part of free agency, just that we decide on a time frame for loosening up the restrictions toward the end (I'm thinking something like 4 weeks in if we start early enough, or maybe only 2 or 3 weeks in otherwise). Keeping things reigned in early is still important though.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 410)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap