2012/13 season discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2012/13 season discussion

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby RocketsDWM » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:28 am

If I waive a player whose contract expires at the end of the season, that doesn't count against me other than this year, right? So say I waive player X who has a deal only for this year worth 6 M. So the cost of that is 75% of the deal or 4.5 M. How does this move effect my salary numbers for future years?
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 146)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby scully19 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:28 am

You are affected for as long as the contract is. You do not retain any rights to those players beyond the contract years. So yes you are correct with your example.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 197)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby RocketsDWM » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:50 am

Just checking that there were no repercussions for future years. So basically there is no penalty for waiving a player under a one year contract. Since I am over the cap, releasing a player on a one yr contract doesnt affect me at all. Good to know.
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 146)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby coffeeman » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:25 pm

I thought the IL was history.

I saw on Yahoo an owner in our league posting he was putting someone on IL.

I thought we just had 14 players and if any were hurt it was just too bad.

Can I put a player on Il and pick someone up?
coffeeman
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Postby RedHopeful » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:34 pm

coffeeman wrote:I thought the IL was history.

I saw on Yahoo an owner in our league posting he was putting someone on IL.

I thought we just had 14 players and if any were hurt it was just too bad.

Can I put a player on Il and pick someone up?

You are correct - the IL is no longer being used; thus, if you desire to claim someone off the free agent list, you'd have to waive a player and his contract.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 708)

Postby KalElen » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:30 pm

i've emailed him about us not having il anymore
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby hi chi » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:53 pm

I was under the impression that putting a bid on a player was ok if you were at 14 players as long as you dropped a player upon notification that you won the auction. Reggie Evans is in the unsuccessful bid area...does this mean that I have to re-add Rautins, and start a bid on Evans again? I am confused as to what happened.
hi chi
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 132)

Postby hi chi » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:55 pm

barrec wrote:Just a clarification question about signing FAs and roster spaces...

I'm at 14 players now but am considering dropping one and signing a FA. Can I put a FA up for auction and then win him before dropping a player on my team to make room? I assume I can and just want to make sure of it.

Scully's reply to this questions was yes. Can some please clarify this for me so I can fix my roster on the Yahoo site.

Thanks guys.
hi chi
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 132)

Postby KalElen » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:17 am

hi chi wrote:I was under the impression that putting a bid on a player was ok if you were at 14 players as long as you dropped a player upon notification that you won the auction.

this is correct. your winning bid is in the winning bids thread, rest of the posts from evans thread are in the unsuccessful bids thread. no problem there
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby So-Tex » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:21 am

I have a question regarding 7 day contracts.

The way I'm understanding the rules, if I sign a player to a 7 day contract, I can't re-sign him to another 7 day contract for one whole day. I understand that.

But...if that player's 7 day contract expires, any team can turn around and offer him a guaranteed contract immediately. Ok, I get that as well.

My question is, does "any team" include my team as well? In other words, if I sign a player to a 7 day contract, and then I decide I want to keep that player, can I immediately put a bid in for him when his contract is up?

The way I'm understanding the rule, it would go down something like this:

1. I sign player X to a 7 day contract. He immediately goes onto my roster for minimum money.
2. I decide during that period of time I want to keep player X. So...
3. Once player X's contract expires, I drop him off my roster (*see question below*). He is now a FA.
4. I immediately put a bid in for him for a guaranteed contract, which follows normal bidding procedures (wait 48hrs to pick him up again, etc.).

Is the way I'm understanding this correct? The only time I would have to wait "one whole day" would be if I wanted to sign player X to another 7 day contract, correct?

*And, am I understanding this part of the rule correctly as well - once a player's 7 day contract expires, he goes off my roster, even if I decide to put an immediate bid in for him. It makes sense to me this way only because to be fair, player X would have to be on the auction block for 48hrs before I could pick him up again. So obviously I couldn't just sit him on my bench until the bidding process ends. Is that right?

I don't know that I'll ever use 7 day contracts, being that I'm trying to stay as close as I can to the soft cap limit (I'm about 2 to 3 million over right now since I dropped Chalmers). But it might be a good way to evaluate guys I might want to pick up for guaranteed money, especially considering if I drop them from a guaranteed contract, I can't pick them up again for the entire season (which is why I haven't gone back to guys like Belinelli and Warrick - I waived them off of guaranteed contracts).

Now that I'm understanding how things work a little better, in retrospect, I shouldn't of done that - but no worries - this was going to be a learning year for me anyway. ;-D
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 217)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap