2012/13 season discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2012/13 season discussion

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby KalElen » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:08 am

So-Tex wrote:I have a question regarding 7 day contracts.

The way I'm understanding the rules, if I sign a player to a 7 day contract, I can't re-sign him to another 7 day contract for one whole day. I understand that.

But...if that player's 7 day contract expires, any team can turn around and offer him a guaranteed contract immediately. Ok, I get that as well.

My question is, does "any team" include my team as well? In other words, if I sign a player to a 7 day contract, and then I decide I want to keep that player, can I immediately put a bid in for him when his contract is up?

The way I'm understanding the rule, it would go down something like this:

1. I sign player X to a 7 day contract. He immediately goes onto my roster for minimum money.
2. I decide during that period of time I want to keep player X. So...
3. Once player X's contract expires, I drop him off my roster (*see question below*). He is now a FA.
4. I immediately put a bid in for him for a guaranteed contract, which follows normal bidding procedures (wait 48hrs to pick him up again, etc.).

Is the way I'm understanding this correct? The only time I would have to wait "one whole day" would be if I wanted to sign player X to another 7 day contract, correct?

*And, am I understanding this part of the rule correctly as well - once a player's 7 day contract expires, he goes off my roster, even if I decide to put an immediate bid in for him. It makes sense to me this way only because to be fair, player X would have to be on the auction block for 48hrs before I could pick him up again. So obviously I couldn't just sit him on my bench until the bidding process ends. Is that right?

I don't know that I'll ever use 7 day contracts, being that I'm trying to stay as close as I can to the soft cap limit (I'm about 2 to 3 million over right now since I dropped Chalmers). But it might be a good way to evaluate guys I might want to pick up for guaranteed money, especially considering if I drop them from a guaranteed contract, I can't pick them up again for the entire season (which is why I haven't gone back to guys like Belinelli and Warrick - I waived them off of guaranteed contracts).

Now that I'm understanding how things work a little better, in retrospect, I shouldn't of done that - but no worries - this was going to be a learning year for me anyway. ;-D

you got it all right ;-D
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby hi chi » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:36 am

KalElen wrote:
hi chi wrote:I was under the impression that putting a bid on a player was ok if you were at 14 players as long as you dropped a player upon notification that you won the auction.

this is correct. your winning bid is in the winning bids thread, rest of the posts from evans thread are in the unsuccessful bids thread. no problem there

Sweet! Thanks for the clarrification! ;-D
hi chi
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 132)

Postby coffeeman » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:45 am

One thing that is kind of interesting. There is much less talent on the WW than at this point last year. Teams are fiddling with their rosters still.

A year ago everyone had just bid on every player on their team and won them. There were no holdovers and "stuck with a bad contract" situations. I also think guys were reluctant to jettison players they had just won biddding wars on.

Now its like Major lg. Sports Franchises. Very little loyalty. Guys in this league are letting nonproductive guys and bad contracts go and still finalizing those last roster spots.

I think its a good thing. Makes the league more competitive and my job finding that 14th player just a little harder.
coffeeman
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Postby So-Tex » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:51 am

Another question - I picked up Sebastian Telfair on a 7 day contract. On the league site, it shows that move reflected for my lineup on Wednesday. Does that mean that the 7 day contract is up next Wednesday, or next Tuesday at the time I noted here on the forum?

I just want to make sure so I can get the drop time right. B-)
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 217)

Postby KalElen » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:40 am

So-Tex wrote:Another question - I picked up Sebastian Telfair on a 7 day contract. On the league site, it shows that move reflected for my lineup on Wednesday. Does that mean that the 7 day contract is up next Wednesday, or next Tuesday at the time I noted here on the forum?

I just want to make sure so I can get the drop time right. B-)

you can have him on your roster for 7 days. if he can play for you on wednesday, regardless if he has a game on that day then you can play him on next tuesday, but you have to drop him on tuesday too, so he'll be available on wednesday to rest of the league
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Re: Waived players thread 2010/2011

Postby RocketsDWM » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:24 am

So-Tex wrote:Waiving Cole Aldrich - cost: 1.5M + 1.25M %-6

Ouch. Can't be as bad as Calederon though, right? I think you're moving the team in a good direction though. Savvy owner.
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 144)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Waived players thread 2010/2011

Postby So-Tex » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:47 am

RocketsDWM wrote:
So-Tex wrote:Waiving Cole Aldrich - cost: 1.5M + 1.25M %-6

Ouch. Can't be as bad as Calederon though, right? I think you're moving the team in a good direction though. Savvy owner.

Not trying to muddy up this thread with conversation, but I will say yeah, the Calderon deal was definitely :-S :*) :-* :-{ X-I %-6 :-P and any other smiley you can throw at it.

I guess you could say my real goal is to be a member of this league when THAT bad contract goes off the books in 2013/14 - now there's your long term commitment fellas! :-D ;-D B-)

EDIT: Thanks for moving it Kal! I knew it didn't belong where it was, but didn't know how best to respond to it. ;-D
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:09 pm

coffeeman wrote:One thing that is kind of interesting. There is much less talent on the WW than at this point last year. Teams are fiddling with their rosters still.

A year ago everyone had just bid on every player on their team and won them. There were no holdovers and "stuck with a bad contract" situations. I also think guys were reluctant to jettison players they had just won biddding wars on.

Now its like Major lg. Sports Franchises. Very little loyalty. Guys in this league are letting nonproductive guys and bad contracts go and still finalizing those last roster spots.

I think its a good thing. Makes the league more competitive and my job finding that 14th player just a little harder.

Yeah, very good observation. I didn't have much of a problem waiving Barbosa and Young recently (both 1 year remainging contracts) since I don't figure either will give me much all season.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 706)

Postby So-Tex » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:42 pm

So let me make sure I've exercised all my options here.

Because I am over the soft cap, I CAN NOT out bid TheRobSays for Kris Humphries? Is that correct?

If it is, you suck TRS! :-C
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby DVauthrin » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:48 pm

So-Tex wrote:So let me make sure I've exercised all my options here.

Because I am over the soft cap, I CAN NOT out bid TheRobSays for Kris Humphries? Is that correct?

If it is, you suck TRS! :-C

correct.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 166)
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap