2012/13 season discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2012/13 season discussion

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby KalElen » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:33 pm

we might want to establish penalties for different kinds of infractions as well in stead of commish having to invent them every time there is a need for it
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby silentjim » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:37 pm

Why not establish levels of punishment? IE level one being two weeks of something, level two, being stricted, and so forth. Then you can either choose the level based on past decisions and your opinion, or we could either vote, or have a disciplinary committee were 3-5 managers would vote with majority ruling?
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 794)

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:20 pm

silentjim wrote:Why not establish levels of punishment? IE level one being two weeks of something, level two, being stricted, and so forth. Then you can either choose the level based on past decisions and your opinion, or we could either vote, or have a disciplinary committee were 3-5 managers would vote with majority ruling?

For consistency purposes, I prefer a set of guidelines for the infractions rather than a majority vote, etc.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 708)

Re: Deandre Jordan 7 Day Contract

Postby coffeeman » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:02 pm

I truly did not understand I had to go in and make sure he was not on my active roster yesterday. If you didn't want me to play him why didn't you flat out just say so and I would not have. If I look at what you sent me you kind of alluded to it, but YOU NEVER SAID DON'T PLAY HIM.If I had known I would not have played him. That said he barely accumulated any stats. As you said i accumulated no advantage, he accumulated few stats and the only cat that was even in doubt as far as a result before the final day was 3 pt. shooting.Jordan is a total nonfactor in that category.

You are taking a small misunderstanding and making it into a big one. BTW I wasn't complaining bout your post it was the one after it. I strongly object to this. It borders on ridiculous. IF you had told me or posted directly on this I would have understood it and not played him.

You are asking me to play a man down for 2 weeks for a very, very, very flimsy reason. I am obviously using the last place on my roster for a player on 7 day contracts and rotating that player. Have done it since week 1.

This is wrong. Please reconsider here. I truly did not understand what you thought you were conveying. That is an inherent limitation of written posts.
coffeeman
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Postby silentjim » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:40 pm

RedHopeful wrote:
silentjim wrote:Why not establish levels of punishment? IE level one being two weeks of something, level two, being stricted, and so forth. Then you can either choose the level based on past decisions and your opinion, or we could either vote, or have a disciplinary committee were 3-5 managers would vote with majority ruling?

For consistency purposes, I prefer a set of guidelines for the infractions rather than a majority vote, etc.

I just don't know if we can come up with every type of infraction. I'm all for Kal ruling, I just think as he has mentioned if there was some precedence or rules set forth dictating what punishments can be (and for repeat offenders) that would help.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 794)

Postby KalElen » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:23 pm

silentjim wrote:
RedHopeful wrote:

I just don't know if we can come up with every type of infraction. I'm all for Kal ruling, I just think as he has mentioned if there was some precedence or rules set forth dictating what punishments can be (and for repeat offenders) that would help.

i agree. if i have to hand out punishments, inevitably someone will feel i was too harsh on him or too lenient on somebody else and they might be right. i'm not beyond making mistakes, i think i proved that here, countless times O:-)
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby KalElen » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:48 pm

in a pm i wrote:
"and you have no right to play him today"
that sounds pretty clear to me. if i say you have no right to play him, i mean you should not play him. i guess it would have been better had i wrote don't play him, but i think what i wrote is just as clear

if you still feel like i'm being unfair i'll put the punishment on vote and let the league decide. i really hate to do this, i don't want to be a jerk, but sometimes being a commish requires just that. i hope that you can see my point of view even if you don't agree and that there won't be any hard feelings. in the end that's up to you, i have to do what i have to do, no matter how much i dislike it
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Fenris-77 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:46 am

coffeeman wrote:Anyways sorry for the infraction and I will try not to commit anymore and avoid anymore thumbs downs.......

You take this shizz to seriously. :-b I was just pointing out that there wasn't anything 'arbitrary' about the drop, and since Kal did the drop-add, that label is certainly an accusation of sorts (or at least certainly looks like one). Anyway, I don't generally use emoticons when I'm being serious, so try not to read to much into the good ol' :-t .

I wasn't trying to pee in cornflakes about this whole issue either, I really was just trying to figure out if I'd missed something.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 410)

Postby Fenris-77 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:55 am

I could get behind a tiered system for penalties that ties the penaly to the rule or mechanic that was violated. I think we need two levels of penalty, one for infractions that change the outcome of one or more scoring categories, and then a lesser penalty for other infractions. As far as the 'connection' I'm talking about, I like the way Kal has been doing it so far - if you break the 7 day rules, you're 7 day priv's are suspended ect ect. I'm torn about the length of penalties though - maybe one week and two, or two and three (or even four?) ... I'm just not sure.

It's not about punishment either, I think that a set penalty should help convince managers to try and follow (and maybe even read) the league rules more carefully.

We could also set a general penalty for those random sorts of infractions that we don't feel like listing. I don't know what that would look like, but it should be possible. We could also do a hidden league vote for more serious stuff. I think guys might be more honest via PM then posting publicly. Then you'd need a second guy getting the PMs, to maintain transparency, but that's what assistant Commish badges are meant to solve. :-D
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 410)

Postby RocketsDWM » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:07 am

How many infractions could there be though? Are there too many to not set out a defined list of punishments?

I like the committee approach but that could get dicey if someone is out sick, on vacation etc. But every year 3 managers could be elected to the committee and then majority vote is the ruling. Then the next year 3 managers are selected (or 4 since we have 16 teams).
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 146)
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap