Eradicating Marijuana one blunt at a time
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby dasein » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:05 pm

This whole injury thing is a bit of a red hearing. The real advantage of daily over weekly (ignoring streaming) is that you can play a flex strategy, i.e. use your bench to key in on particular categories that you can see are going to be close as the game week progresses. Fluky things happen over the course of a week, and you don't always know (at the beginning of the week) whether you'll be close in say blks or 3s, and as the end of the week draws near you may want to prioritise 1 or 2 cats. This is analagous to in-game coaching moves in real games and has a lot of value in my opinion.

I know that I do this all the time. In fact in another league, I've decided to bench DH12 for the rest of this week because I have a huge lead in Rb/Bl/Pts, and I want to maintain a thin lead in FT% and Ast:TO. Tactics baby tactics! ;-D
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 431)

Postby barrec » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:55 am

dasein wrote:This whole injury thing is a bit of a red hearing. The real advantage of daily over weekly (ignoring streaming) is that you can play a flex strategy, i.e. use your bench to key in on particular categories that you can see are going to be close as the game week progresses. Fluky things happen over the course of a week, and you don't always know (at the beginning of the week) whether you'll be close in say blks or 3s, and as the end of the week draws near you may want to prioritise 1 or 2 cats. This is analagous to in-game coaching moves in real games and has a lot of value in my opinion.

I know that I do this all the time. In fact in another league, I've decided to bench DH12 for the rest of this week because I have a huge lead in Rb/Bl/Pts, and I want to maintain a thin lead in FT% and Ast:TO. Tactics baby tactics! ;-D

Agreed.

I had a few paragraphs written earlier I forgot to post before closing the browser ;o). To summarize, it is inappropriate to say that either weekly or daily is better than the other. They offer different challenges and strategies to the game. We can vote on it for next season. Further, I think it's important to consider why we would make any change to the league - be it to improve a rule that isn't effective, to add a rule that isn't addressed, or to better model the NBA. I think more basic changes, such as line-up settings, should be adopted only to help a broad issue rather than simply preference. But then again, that's why we can vote! ;o)
Irony is the strongest force in the universe.
barrec
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 88)

Postby Markos » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:33 pm

Yeah, I agree with this. Both have their advantages, I think the ability to play a flex strategy is the main advantage of a daily format, whereas the weekly format is a lot more forgiving to teams carrying injuries, long term ones at least.

It'll be interesting to see how people vote come the offseason. The point of this thread is to throw ideas around and consider new ways of doing things, and it's certainly working. I for one hadn't really considered a games limit, how it would work with daily lineups, and still need to think it through properly. Any other ways we can stick with a daily format while still having a bench to stash injured players and upside types, while still allowing teams to make roster adjustments through the week, would likely get my support.

Happy New Year guys, this is a pretty wicked league and, after a very busy November, I've really started getting into it. Good health and best of luck for 2011 everyone
Eradicating Marijuana one blunt at a time
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 5)

Postby scully19 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:35 am

Finally Melo gets traded, and looks like Randolph moving might actually pull down some value now too. Nice timing for me to see what he's got.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 195)

Postby barrec » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:57 am

scully19 wrote:Finally Melo gets traded, and looks like Randolph moving might actually pull down some value now too. Nice timing for me to see what he's got.

Yeah, I am hoping W. Chandler's numbers don't dip too much. No question he benefited from the up tempo system. I'd feel better if Billups were staying, but, well, that is how it goes.
Irony is the strongest force in the universe.
barrec
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 88)

Postby scully19 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:14 am

Different ways it could go for Chandler on this one, he could become a focal point of the offense with very little else in Denver and could actually get a little bit extra offense.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: James Johnson

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:44 am

Homer. :-D
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 410)

Re: James Johnson

Postby scully19 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:42 am

Mix in Homer with youth movement and a terrible team anyways and you got it. :D
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Fenris-77 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:06 am

scully19 wrote:Different ways it could go for Chandler on this one, he could become a focal point of the offense with very little else in Denver and could actually get a little bit extra offense.

I doubt it. Without a guy like Amare to take the focus, I don't think Chandler is significantly better offensive player than any of Lawson, Nene, Afflalo or even (shudder) JR Smith. Plus there's that Gallinari kid, who can also shoot a little. I can see a much more egalitarian offense happening in Denver. I don't think that set-up necessarily hurts Chandlers chances of continuing production, but I don't think it makes for an uptick either. That's my two cents anyway.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 410)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap