2012/13 season discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2012/13 season discussion

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby KalElen » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:16 am

i'm glad to see 2 thirds of the league already checked in. there is a great chance you'll get 15 guys back. red deserves big thumbs up for finding us great new gms last summer when the league was on the ropes. most of you probably don't even realize how close we were to disbanding. i had exhausted all of my recruiting possibilities, when red stepped up and recruited most (if not all) of "new" guys here. if we could survive that, i think the league should be able to survive this

regarding the expansion, my plan was to try to push it to 30 teams (in a series of yearly expansions), but at the same time, my idea was to trim the rosters with every or every other expansion. maybe get to something like pg/sg/sf/pf/c/ut+4 bn. i'm just throwing it out there for you guys to think about, should you decide to expand at some point. another thing worth noting is that yahoo allows maximum of 20 teams per league, so for now, 30 team league is not doable in reality
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby barrec » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:17 am

KalElen wrote:i'm glad to see 2 thirds of the league already checked in. there is a great chance you'll get 15 guys back. red deserves big thumbs up for finding us great new gms last summer when the league was on the ropes. most of you probably don't even realize how close we were to disbanding. i had exhausted all of my recruiting possibilities, when red stepped up and recruited most (if not all) of "new" guys here. if we could survive that, i think the league should be able to survive this

regarding the expansion, my plan was to try to push it to 30 teams (in a series of yearly expansions), but at the same time, my idea was to trim the rosters with every or every other expansion. maybe get to something like pg/sg/sf/pf/c/ut+4 bn. i'm just throwing it out there for you guys to think about, should you decide to expand at some point. another thing worth noting is that yahoo allows maximum of 20 teams per league, so for now, 30 team league is not doable in reality

That makes sense, and would be something I would advocate for if the league wanted to expand. Just doing quick math, we currently have 144 total starting roster spots spread out over 16 teams. If we expand to 20, and aim to keep the same number of starting spots, that'd be about 7 spots per team (140 total spots), so something like PG, SG, SF, PF, C, UTIL, UTIL. Anyway, obviously details and conversation for another day.
Irony is the strongest force in the universe.
barrec
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 88)

Postby Markos » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:45 am

Is there no deadline for adding free agents? I assumed once the playoffs started the rosters would be locked like the NBA's, but that said I can't see a date anywhere.
Eradicating Marijuana one blunt at a time
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 5)

Postby KalElen » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:15 am

Markos wrote:Is there no deadline for adding free agents? I assumed once the playoffs started the rosters would be locked like the NBA's, but that said I can't see a date anywhere.

nope, we have no deadline for fa pickups (in that we resemble regular fantasy league rather then real nba rules)
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby scully19 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:46 pm

Just want to clarify the injured player exception. If I claimed it now on Yao would the exception last into the off season, and what would the value of the contract be next season? 40%? (since the exception is for 60% of the salary)
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 195)

Postby So-Tex » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:40 am

scully19 wrote:Just want to clarify the injured player exception. If I claimed it now on Yao would the exception last into the off season, and what would the value of the contract be next season? 40%? (since the exception is for 60% of the salary)

The way I understood it, if you claim the exception this season, it would last only until the end of the season - I'm assuming that means the regular season, not the playoffs. You would have to wait until the official start of the off-season in order to use the exception to bid on or sign FA's for next year and beyond.

And since you have to waive Yao in order to claim the exception, the contract would count against your cap space as the rules for a waived player dictates - in this case, it would be 75% of his contract for this season, then 50% for each of the remaining years.

The exception itself is worth 60% of what his current salary (this year's) is - so in Yao's case, you would get 60% of 9.77M to use to sign a FA.

The risk here is if Yao decides to officially retire during the off-season. If that happens before you waive him and claim the exception, you would lose the exception, but all other rules regarding waivers would apply.

I'm not sure if I'm missing anything, but that's the way I understood the IPE after all the discussions I had with Kal - I'd defer to him for anything I may have glossed over.
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 217)

Postby Fenris-77 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:05 am

I think that something in a committee approach could work, but at the same time I think there needs to be a smaller group, let's say three guys, who say yes or know and who can spearhead enforcement and whatnot (so three co-commish's). I think things like book keeping, watch-dogging, Q&A and some other stuff could be handled mostly by guys who aren't those three though. That would spread the workload around as evenly as possible, but keep the decision making from getting too bogged down. Personally, I have no real interest in being sole commish here either, but I am more than willing to put in my fair share of work to keep things running. When it comes to new rules and league changes I say let whomever wants to vote on the issue and voice their opinions and then let the three commish types make the call. Dpending on how we break down the workload we could even have a set up where certain co-commish's lead certain committees (mostly to manage things rather than set the agenda though). I like a three commish set up because there's a natural tie break there and its small enough to be functional, but also big enough to ensure a fair accounting of issues and outcomes.

As far as next season goes, I think we should think hard about how to steamline the rules a little bit. Not that we're on to talking about specific ideas just yet, but I think the current points system and tie break needs to be seriously changed, as does the auction format. Just my two pet hobby horses. I think that blind waivers with a once a week player add is a great idea too.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 410)

Postby KalElen » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:22 pm

So-Tex wrote:
scully19 wrote:Just want to clarify the injured player exception. If I claimed it now on Yao would the exception last into the off season, and what would the value of the contract be next season? 40%? (since the exception is for 60% of the salary)

The way I understood it, if you claim the exception this season, it would last only until the end of the season - I'm assuming that means the regular season, not the playoffs. You would have to wait until the official start of the off-season in order to use the exception to bid on or sign FA's for next year and beyond.

And since you have to waive Yao in order to claim the exception, the contract would count against your cap space as the rules for a waived player dictates - in this case, it would be 75% of his contract for this season, then 50% for each of the remaining years.

The exception itself is worth 60% of what his current salary (this year's) is - so in Yao's case, you would get 60% of 9.77M to use to sign a FA.

The risk here is if Yao decides to officially retire during the off-season. If that happens before you waive him and claim the exception, you would lose the exception, but all other rules regarding waivers would apply.

I'm not sure if I'm missing anything, but that's the way I understood the IPE after all the discussions I had with Kal - I'd defer to him for anything I may have glossed over.

a player needs to miss 122 games over two full seasons, so you can't waive him on the 1st day of the off-season (1st day after the end of regular nba season and fantasy playoffs) and get ipe. if you don't claim the ipe until the end of the season, you need to wait until after he misses 122 games over 2010/2011 and 2011/2012 seasons combined. that would be at the earliest 47 games into next season since he played 5 games this year, providing he doesn't play in another game before that time. if you do claim him now you need to use ipe until the end of this season (including playoffs) or you automatically waive ipe (effectively wasting it). after you waive him 75% counts of his salary counts against your cap + you get the ipe. this means that total amount of 135% (75+60) of his salary counts against your cap until you use or waive ipe. if you are too close to hard cap, you obviously can't get full 60% ipe, but a smaller portion that brings you up against the hard cap. if you waive him now, 40% of his salary still counts against your cap next year. one scenario, we never discussed, is what happens if yao retires while being eligible to be waived for ipe, but that concerns next season, so i guess it's not on me to decide
btw it is called injured player exception, but player doesn't have to be injured as long as he misses required amount of games (think tinsley/ford situation). based on that i would allow yao's owner to retain him on the roster and waive him for ipe during next season, even if yao calls it quits tomorrow, but as i said, that's not my call anymore
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Markos » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:25 am

Congrats Snake 2011 champ!!! :-)

Once I dropped FT%, on Sunday or Monday, I knew I was in trouble, hung in there with an outside chance by staying close there and blocks too but you took it out. Was a pretty good battle, h :-o enjoy the moment ;-D

Mark
Eradicating Marijuana one blunt at a time
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 5)

Postby RedHopeful » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:53 pm

Keeping this alive. B-)
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 706)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap