2012/13 season discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2012/13 season discussion

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby Markos » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:51 am

Good to see guys getting interested again.

So.... who's the commish?
Eradicating Marijuana one blunt at a time
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby RedHopeful » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:34 am

Markos wrote:Good to see guys getting interested again.

So.... who's the commish?

I think we're going to go with a committee of sorts. Please anyone and everyone give your 2 cents to any ongoing topic too!
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 708)

Postby RocketsDWM » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:32 am

Another possiblity (and this coming from someone who has freed up cap space and owns Griffin, Paul and Gasol), is to scrap the rosters and re-draft so everyone is on the same playing field. It seems like we have a very good group of managers who are in this for the long haul. A consideration atleast?
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 145)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby So-Tex » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:56 am

RocketsDWM wrote:Another possiblity (and this coming from someone who has freed up cap space and owns Griffin, Paul and Gasol), is to scrap the rosters and re-draft so everyone is on the same playing field. It seems like we have a very good group of managers who are in this for the long haul. A consideration atleast?

+1 :-D
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 217)

Postby dasein » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:17 am

RedHopeful wrote:I think we're going to go with a committee of sorts. Please anyone and everyone give your 2 cents to any ongoing topic too!

I can see this not working. If nobody wants to step up, I think we at least need designated responsibilities if we are going to share the load. Do we at least have a list of things that the commish does for this league?

RE redraft. Kinda not all that keen, and I finished dead last. I liked the idea of tearing it down and building. I would still like an alan houston rule for the new guys from last year. I don't think I'd want this for everybody and for every year though cause it removes a degree of responsibility when making bids. I hope the new NBA CBA doesn't allow this for a similar reason; teams like the lakers could just keep spending their way to titles. You make your bed with Metta World Peace, you can sleep in it consarnit! }:-)

BTW, does anyone own the rights to Rubio? Just curious. ;-7
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 434)

Postby So-Tex » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:05 am

dasein wrote:RE redraft. Kinda not all that keen, and I finished dead last. I liked the idea of tearing it down and building.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I love the idea of tearing down what I had/have and rebuilding it for the future. What I don't like is the current set of rules in place, which practically makes that job impossible.

Really, for me, the only reason I would welcome a re-draft is for the obvious reasons:

1. It would level the playing field with the current group of managers - or at least it would give us an even chance at success.
2. It would help get salaries back down to realistic levels. I mean, honestly, I don't see anyone of this current group pulling a Jose Calderon like a few seasons ago. Yeah, sure, there may be a few "higher-than-I-would-have-paids" in the bunch. But nothing as ridiculous as that contract debacle.
3. I just think it'd be fun to get a shot at putting together a team with my own budget to start with.

That third one is just for myself (again being a bit selfish), but that might be an option we could consider. I mean, if most of us are really in for the long haul (and I mean like five years and on), it might be an idea to re-draft once in a leap year or so. Think of it this way, we could re-draft with players holding their current contracts. That way, nobody could bump up a guys contract by adding on additional years in a re-sign. I'm not sure if that actually explains what I'm meaning, but I can go into more detail if someone doesn't understand what I'm talking about.

Anyway, just ideas to chew on. But again, I'm not closed to the idea of keeping what we have and working with it - I still love the idea! :-) I just don't love it so much when I have to go through the frustration I went through last season just to sign warm bodies for my bench, much less solid talent to help me compete. ;-)
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 217)

Postby Markos » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:39 pm

I think between the amnesty and the overhauled tiebreaker rules rebuilding a team will be a lot easier. A redraft shouldn't really be necessary, but I wouldn't oppose it myself. We have a good keen bunch of GM's here and with all the new rules etc a total redraft would be fun IMO, and kick everything off with a fresh start.

I'm not pushing for it though, just saying I wouldn't be opposed.
Eradicating Marijuana one blunt at a time
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 5)

Postby scully19 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:23 pm

I'd rather not redraft personally, but am not vehemently against it. It would be fun, but I think if we start doing redrafts we may open the door to doing it again and again, and I hate the idea of restarting all the time. The main reason I am in the league is so that it is close to a GM experience, and working through the ups and downs of running a team to try to win a championship of a very good league.

Someone suggested somewhere we do a redo every 4 years, and I personally HATE that idea.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 197)

Postby DVauthrin » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:05 am

Another thing we must figure out, is can we find an owner to take over Kal's team? Otherwise, what are we going to do with his squad if we can't find another person willing to play in the league.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 166)

Postby RocketsDWM » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:08 am

scully19 wrote:I'd rather not redraft personally, but am not vehemently against it. It would be fun, but I think if we start doing redrafts we may open the door to doing it again and again, and I hate the idea of restarting all the time. The main reason I am in the league is so that it is close to a GM experience, and working through the ups and downs of running a team to try to win a championship of a very good league.

Someone suggested somewhere we do a redo every 4 years, and I personally HATE that idea.

I hate the idea of redrafting every four years too. I think we have a fantastic collection of GM's that are in it for the long haul so redrafting only once would be the best and only option IMO.

Why don't we put it to a vote and see what happens. IMO, everyone would have to vote 'yes' to a redraft to have it happen. I'm not sure if we can get everyones vote though. Seems like a small contigent that has been offering their opinions on the issues so far.
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 145)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap