2012/13 season discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2012/13 season discussion

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby Markos » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:54 am

I would say 2/3rds would be enough for a redraft, excluding Kal that would make 10 GM's up against 5. If we're holding it to all 15 voting yes then I wouldn't even bother running a poll.

I'd be opposed to a redraft every 4 years too, it'd be once with all the other changes, a full reset if you like. Kal did a good job getting this league up and running but some changes were necessary and it'd be now or never for a redraft.

Still need a commish IMO, or at least some clear cut roles for the guys planning on being active on the admin side of things. All this discussion is fine but ultimately we need someone to steer the ship. Plenty of time still admittedly.
Eradicating Marijuana one blunt at a time
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby RocketsDWM » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:08 am

Markos wrote:I would say 2/3rds would be enough for a redraft, excluding Kal that would make 10 GM's up against 5. If we're holding it to all 15 voting yes then I wouldn't even bother running a poll.

I'd be opposed to a redraft every 4 years too, it'd be once with all the other changes, a full reset if you like. Kal did a good job getting this league up and running but some changes were necessary and it'd be now or never for a redraft.

Still need a commish IMO, or at least some clear cut roles for the guys planning on being active on the admin side of things. All this discussion is fine but ultimately we need someone to steer the ship. Plenty of time still admittedly.

Redraft: You are right on the number of votes. 10-5 seems reasonable.

Commish: With no one stepping up to the plate, seems like a committee approach. I think once we get the rules hashed out, a committee can be named.
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 146)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:57 am

Right now, I think it's pretty much me, Red, and Jim acting as adhoc commisioners. Plusm,aybe scully in some capacity (secretary?, no offense). That can and should change (or at least be voted on) once we have some participation from the silent majority here.

10-5 isn't enough either. Something as drastic as a redraft should need something north of 85 or 90% yes votes. Otherwise the have-nots are too well represented.

As I'm currently a have-not, so I'm ok saying that. :-D
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 410)

Postby Markos » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:53 am

North of 85% 90%? We already have 2 of 15 opposed lol.

Perhaps it shouldn't be binding but in the event 10 guys are for a redraft I think we need to at least put it up for further consideration. Don't see it happening myself though. Conversely if 5 oppose then it's definitely toast, no discussion necessary.
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Postby So-Tex » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:10 am

Not that I've been thinking about it real hard, but if we did do a redraft, what about going the route of a keeper league? Allow for each manager to keep just 2 or 3 players on their roster, then go from there. That would put us at starting around pick #49 for the redraft. Plus, it should give everyone a good starting point as far as salary goes. Not having glanced at the rosters yet, I think just about every manager has a 20M player on their roster. A couple more players on top of that isn't going to break any budgets salarywise, I would think.

And still, I wouldn't be for doing this every 4, 5 or even 6 years either, especially if the majority of us stick it out that long. It's either once now, then let it sleep, or wait another year or two before we bring it up again. Like I've said before (maybe not about this particular topic), it isn't a deal breaker for me. I'm fine with amnesty (as being discussed in the other thread), and certain tweaks to the rules. I'd honestly like to be one of those managers who could turn his squad around and compete within a couple of years. I may have gotten off track here a time or two, but I think I'm headed in the right direction.

Like someone mentioned earlier, we just need to level the playing field a bit is all. ;-)
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 217)

Postby dasein » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:14 am

I'm not sure what the rational for doing a redraft is. What has happened recently that is so unusual? 5 or 6 new guys last year, but some are already competitive and others will be on the way with some minor rule tweaks/exceptions. Kal has left, and while loosing the commish is an admin issue, it doesnt affect the game play at all.

As much as its nice to say we have a good group of managers in it for the long haul, the fact is that people will leave occasionally. This may even be something that happens every season. We sure as hell don't want to be redrafting everytime that happens. So back to my first sentence- what exactly has happened to warrant it?

I'm not vehemently opposed to a redraft, but if there was a vote I'd say no.

Now that I think about it, how about building an Alan Houston rule into the league rules for new managers that come on board in the case of guys pulling out?
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 435)

Postby Markos » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:40 am

We have an Allan Houston type rule in my league, whereby new managers can have a bad contract cleared, but it's at admin discretion, not automatic or anything.

Another rule we have, which I think works well, is we allow teams to put current season cap space towards future season buyout debts. So if you buy someone out with multiple years on their deal you can start paying it off immediately.It doesn't mimic the NBA, but it works well for fantasy.
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:34 pm

Markos wrote: We have an Allan Houston type rule in my league, whereby new managers can have a bad contract cleared, but it's at admin discretion, not automatic or anything. .

I'd be ok with this. Once we have an actual commish, or board of governors, or whatever, they can make the call.

Markos wrote:Another rule we have, which I think works well, is we allow teams to put current season cap space towards future season buyout debts. So if you buy someone out with multiple years on their deal you can start paying it off immediately.It doesn't mimic the NBA, but it works well for fantasy.

I love it. ;-D

I've been mulling it over, and I think I wouldn't be completely opposed to a redraft. Not because of anything to do with team, or with anyone else's team, but just because the first auction was a really flawed process, and was additionally the first auction for a lot of guys. The result was a whole mess of bad contracts and some odd auction results.

In the case of a redraft I think we'd still need to consider making it a partial redraft. Guys have put a lot of time and effort into building thier teams, and I'd be ok with people being able to protect some players from going back into a redraft pool. There's a whole bunch of good ways that could work, but I just wanted to float the general idea for now. I'd still prefer (greatly prefer) to not do a redraft, but I guess we'll see what people want. I do think the % needs to be high though, because I'm not really interested in forcing a bunch of GMs to give up teams when they don't want to - that'll kill the league.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 410)

Postby RocketsDWM » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:36 am

I like the idea of being able to protect some players in a potential redraft. ;-D
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 146)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hi chi » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:07 pm

I am on the fence for a redraft. While it would be nice to have a chance to build a better team faster, I do like the challenge of building a team out of the mess I had. If I had to vote right now I would probably vote no...but that is a very soft no.

I do think we need an Allan Houston rule for the teams that joined last year. This shouldn't be a big deal as most of the bad contracts are up next year so we are talking about providing relief for these 5 managers a year earlier.
hi chi
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 132)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap