2012/13 season discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2012/13 season discussion

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby So-Tex » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:36 pm

Regardless of what happens this season, I'm still in this for the long run.

Of course, I would love a redraft at this point, as it both makes sense given the delay and possible cancellation of the whole NBA season, AND considering the fact that I'd love the chance to build my own squad, in this type of format, from the ground up. But I also understand in the pecking order of things, a redraft is a "last ditch" effort.

It's not that I'm on the fence about what we should do...I really don't care if we start taking baby steps towards a "possible" season, or if we take a "wait and see" approach, or even if we just go full tilt until we can't make any more moves or deals until the season starts, including the possibility of a redraft.

Any route we take is fine with me...just know that whoever takes the reigns here has my full support, and anything I can do to help out, I will. ;-D
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 217)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Markos » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:35 am

So-Tex wrote:Any route we take is fine with me...just know that whoever takes the reigns here has my full support, and anything I can do to help out, I will. ;-D

+1
Eradicating Marijuana one blunt at a time
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 5)

Postby dasein » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:02 am

Looks like something might be happening in CBA land, so we should probably look at doing something about now. If nobody objects, I'll put my hand up to be the 'league attorney' as someone called it. Concise technical writting is one of my strengths, so I guess I should be able to put together an updated set of rules. I don't have the best handle on the last set, but that might actually be a good thing as I'll need to carefully review them to make sure I understand.

I'll start by trawling through the forum and see if I can correll all the change proposals that have been discussed and but them in one place to see if we can get some traction. I've only been looking at this thread since the season finished, so missed all the other relevant stuff that was being discussed..doh! :-?

I suggest someone track down a replacement for Kal as well. We need that before we can draft. ;-D
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 435)

Postby silentjim » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:41 pm

dasein wrote:Looks like something might be happening in CBA land, so we should probably look at doing something about now. If nobody objects, I'll put my hand up to be the 'league attorney' as someone called it. Concise technical writting is one of my strengths, so I guess I should be able to put together an updated set of rules. I don't have the best handle on the last set, but that might actually be a good thing as I'll need to carefully review them to make sure I understand.

I'll start by trawling through the forum and see if I can correll all the change proposals that have been discussed and but them in one place to see if we can get some traction. I've only been looking at this thread since the season finished, so missed all the other relevant stuff that was being discussed..doh! :-?

I suggest someone track down a replacement for Kal as well. We need that before we can draft. ;-D

Sounds good. Thanks for volunteering. ;-D
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 794)

Postby Markos » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:02 pm

knock those rules up however you wish, put your stamp on it.
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:52 am

It's a good thing someone wants to to redraft the rules. :-D After a short hiatus I'm in full-on hoops mode, so I'll try to slog through the rules as well and see what I think needs to be tinkered with outside of what's already been discussed.

Finding a replacement for Kal is key though, for sure, since we should probably move on to drafting or some such in the next little while, at least the rookie draft anyway. Personally, I think that should be done in the next couple of weeks if at all possible, and perhaps even before we finalize the rules set, just so it's out of the way. We can always finalize whatever rules we need for the rookie draft first so that there's no ugly surprises for anyone. Anyway, I'm all for getting the ball rolling here. ;-D
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 410)

Postby Markos » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:53 pm

I'm all for getting the ball rolling too, but a good dose of reality is in order. This league is not going anywhere, noone wants to commish it, or even form a committee (which personally I doubt would work anyhow), and while dasein deserves credit for putting his hand up to tackle the rules, as do some of the other GM's who were particularly active at the end of the last season when we were discussing the changes, the fact is until we get a commish it's pointless putting in much effort redrafting the rules for a league that seems unlikely to carry on.

One of the other two leagues I'm in is recruiting. Not the league I commish but a sister site called Westside Fantasy. There are currently about 6 or 7 open spots, and if the commish can fill those spots quickly he's going to keep the league going, otherwise it's going to fold. Unlike this one I'd say it actually has a decent chance, so anyone interested hit me up by PM and I'll send you the link.

Will check back in here early next week, if nothing has developed then I'm out.
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Postby RocketsDWM » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:03 pm

I don't think we should give up on this league. We have some terrific owners and it would be a shame to fold.

Personally, I think the rules are a bit convoluted and overcomplicated. I would throw my name in the ring for commish but I don't know the rules well enough to enforce them.

In all liklihood, the CBA will be agreed upon either Monday or Tuesday. So we have about a month to get everything squared away. Who is in?
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 146)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby scully19 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:32 am

I'm with you Rocket, we had 15 of the 16 owners say they want to play again this year once last year finished. So people have been around less because of the lockout that hasn't ever really looked like it was going to end meaning everyone is down on putting to much work into something that may not even have a purpose this year. That doesn't mean that they won't play when/if the season is back.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 198)

Postby Fenris-77 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:43 am

I don't have time to be the solo commish for this league. I don't even really have time to be writing whole rules sets, but I can chip in. I agree with scully, we have some great managers and it would be a shame to fold the league. The rules as-is actually aren't that complicated and can be simplified with relative ease. I don't think this is the time for full re-writes though, I think we need to tinker a little to smooth out the rough edges and leave the re-write for a future offseason.

Personally, I vote that we leave the cap and tax numbers exactly the same and leave the MLE and other exceptions as-is. All we really need to address is the free agent bidding process, because that's clumsy as hell in the current rules set. I think a simple blind waiver system would be the easiest to implement, and also has the benefit of removing most of the need for a tie-break system. I already spent a lot of time outlining some options for a system like that, which I'm not going to repeat here, but I do think it would work well for this league.

I'm also in favour of a one-time amnesty for a single contract per team.

Anyway, if anyone else has some ideas about rules set now is the time. We need to ratify something asap so we can do the rookie draft and get this baby moving.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 410)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap