2012/13 season discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2012/13 season discussion

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby Markos » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:44 am

I'll commish, but only if I can full redraft, put in place the initial set of rules as I see fit, and get a sub-committee of 3 GM's to delegate some of the grunt work to. And only if 10 GM's throw their support behind me, I'm not going in with less than a majority or more than 6 teams vacant.

Regarding the redraft, I'm not going to stuff around with a transition from Kal's rules to a new set. I'd want a fresh canvas, and I'd model the league on the other two leagues I'm in, one of which I commish* (http://www.eastsidefantasy.proboards.com, & http://www.westsidefantasy.proboards.com), but with a softcap, MLE and some other tweaks. I'll borrow selectively from the new CBA deal as it comes out. Both the above leagues have been successful, and we can build on that. As we would redraft the new set of rules wouldn't favour anyone.

League outline as follows
weekly h2h format
16 or 18 teams, no future expansions.
std 9 cats
pg x 2, sg x 2, sf x 2, pf x 2, c x 2, u x 2, b x 6 (15 min, 18 max)
$100m hard cap (lifted to ie. $120m in the offseason)
$80m softcap, after which certain restrictions apply (ie. MLE, BAE...)
Dynasty tag (retain 1 uncontracted player each offseason)
All other uncontracted players go directly into unrestricted free agency.
2 round free agent draft (top 32 players) each offseason
All drafted players take hoopshype salary incl. team options, QO, but not player options
Minimum salary $500k, Max $30m x 4
20% value bonus for each extra year offered (up to 4 year contracts)
10% limit on front/backloading
Player buyouts at 75%, GM's able to pay off debts early
GM's able to trade 1st round pick from next draft only, with compulsory top 3 protection.
Private auctions via PM

Sub-committee (3 GM's required)
trade review committee of 3 GM's (not including myself) consisting of:
1. recruiting officer
2. salary cap auditor
3. forum manager

Finally, I'm not spending much if any time recruiting. If 10 GM's post in here and throw their support behind me by the time I return from Bali (Wed Nov 23rd) then we're on. Otherwise, it's back to the wilderness.
Eradicating Marijuana one blunt at a time
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby dasein » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:04 am

I don't think we're in such bad shape that we need a major reset. I tend to think that reasons no 1,2, and 3 why we haven't really gone anywhere is because of the uncertainty over whether there will be a season at all. I know this is what has caused me to drag my heals on the rules...I just don't want to waste my time. But if I knew there would be games in a month it would be a different story.

I agree with the spirit of Fenris' last post. I think we're pretty much there anyway. No need to do a major overhaul, just fix the tie break system and streamline bidding.

What we already have.

- Scully outlined a simple method for selecting rookie draft order, that I assume nobody would strongly disagree with. So why don't we just run with this and do the rookie draft.
- Fenris came up with an improved method for FA bidding and tie breaks. Maybe it isn't perfect, but if there are no major objections we could give it a go this year and see if it suits our needs.
- RocketsDWM has just said he'd be commish? ;-D ;-D ;-D
Mate, I wouldn't worry about not knowing the rules inside out. I'm sure you can learn on the job and some of the older hands would be more than happy to help you out if you get stuck. There is still merit in delegating some of the routine stuff too and people seem happy to chip in here.

How bout to get the ball rolling, someone does the rookie draft lottery. Scully, would you like to do this seeing as it was your system? Once we have a draft order, then all managers could be notified (with a date) and we can actually get league activity underway. I know this might be seen as pushing stuff through unilaterally, but a seriously doubt anyone is really going to mind. Once we have mass activity, it will be easier to bring the other stuff to resolution.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 435)

Postby Fenris-77 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:58 am

Scully's draft system looks fine and I see no reason why we shouldn't push ahead with it. ;-D
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 410)

Postby Markos » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:56 pm

Regardless, my offer stands.

I'll check back in after I return from Bali on the 23rd and see if we've made some progress, one way or another.
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Postby RedHopeful » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:39 pm

Woohoo for activity. ;-D

Boohoo to those boasting about going to paradise half way round the world. }:-)

I'm fine with whatever the majority decides but I, like markos, would like to see a commish in place. Whether it's rockets, markos with a reset or whatevs. I will throw my hat into the ring for the recruiting position since I've been doing quite a bit of it everywhere for some time. :-)
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 708)

Postby scully19 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:54 pm

The draw for the draft would be easy to do if we want to move it forward. The next powerball draw is on Nov 17 and if we wanted to could simply use that.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 197)

Postby Fenris-77 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:53 pm

I could commish as part of a commitee, but not solo. Since I don't have time to redraft the rules on my own I'm not going to complain about the direction the majority decides to go. I will say that I'm not sure we have time for a full reboot if we see action on the CBA early this week, if not, then we probably do.

That said, I don't think I'm interested in playing a league that uses actual salaries. That's not what I'm looking for in a salary cap league.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dasein » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:19 pm

scully19 wrote:The draw for the draft would be easy to do if we want to move it forward. The next powerball draw is on Nov 17 and if we wanted to could simply use that.

Lets do it! ;-D

I'm not american so I don't know about this powerball lark, but I'm sure youse guys can handle it.

(Might make it easier to recruit a Kall replacement, once we know his draft spot too)
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 435)

Postby Markos » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:51 am

Still hold the lottery in the event we stay with the current system. The proposed new draft rules Scully made up are ready to go. Powerball results from the 17th determine the outcome, see Scully's draft ruyles thread for the fineprint

Rank ~ Numbers ~ # of balls (45 total)
16th ~ 1-11 ~ 11
15th ~ 12-20 ~ 9
14th ~ 21-27 ~ 7
13th ~ 28-33 ~ 6
12th ~ 34-37 ~ 4
11th ~ 38-40 ~ 3
10th ~ 41-43 ~ 3
9th ~ 44-45 ~ 2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We do have the time for a reboot, there will be three weekends from the 23rd to Dec 15th which is enough for recruiting, the inaugural draft, then free agency and final roster/salary checks. And the NBA salaries are merely a starting point, it's still an auction based league.

I think we need a new poll, which would second as a rollcall:

1 - reboot, with me as commish bringing in a new set of rules.
3 - roll as is, but without the rule changes discussed earlier

Because this is where we are at. The reboot vote was in early July, and GM's voted to stay the course on the assumption a new set of rules would be in place for the coming season, but it's seemingly not happening. And the rollcall was in April, lol. Perhaps we need a vote just to get the GM's back in here and see who we need to replace, cos if we stick with the old rules or reboot it'll be more than just Kal.

Perhaps Red can set it up since he is in charge of recruiting anyhow and seems open to either outcome. Once we know who is back and whether they'd prefer to roll with the current system or reboot we can move on.
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Postby Fenris-77 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:57 am

Hmmm. And I've seen you all over this board in that time working on new rules... :-b

I vote no reboot. No offense, but I'm not interested in having this league remade in your image.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap