2012/13 season discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2012/13 season discussion

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby scully19 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:32 pm

I'm well on the side on tweeking. This league has been fun and gone on pretty well I thought, and all along we knew with a league this vast and with this many rules set in place that they were going to need tweeking anyways as time went on. Seems to me like we are right on schedule.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 197)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby So-Tex » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:19 am

Well, with the news I'm hearing now, looks like we're done for this season.

I vote tweak the rules, then reset. Unless something reeeeeellly drastic happens on the NBA front within the next week or so.

:-/
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 217)

Postby Markos » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:22 am

Fenriss, you're misguided. But it's been nice talking to you all the same. If nothing else our discussions have probably helped amp up league activity and bring a couple of the guys out of the woodwork.

dasein, the 23rd would have been D-day if, and only if.....

- there was going to be a season starting on Dec 15; and
- nothing was getting done in here

Had the union taken the NBA's offer AND you not offered to knock up a summary of the changes and do the lottery, I would have offered to commish on the 23rd, under the conditions I spelt out. And even then the GM's may well have turned the offer down. With the union decertifying, and you seemingly firing things up, it all becomes academic. If it wasn't for the fact we look like missing a season I'd be happy about it too.
Eradicating Marijuana one blunt at a time
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Fenris-77 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:32 am

Markos wrote:Fenriss, you're misguided. But it's been nice talking to you all the same.

Given your point of view I can see why you'd think that. I got into this league on the ground floor though, and spent a lot of time and effort tweaking the rules with Kal to make them as good as possible to get the league off the ground. Save for some rough edges I still like rules set too, which is why I'm in the tweaking camp. Personally, I don't think it's misguided to place a certain amount of value on a product I've spent so much time and effort helping to produce.

Markos wrote:If nothing else our discussions have probably helped amp up league activity and bring a couple of the guys out of the woodwork.

Factually correct. ;-D
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 410)

Postby RocketsDWM » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:48 am

Well, it looks like we will have plenty of time to tweak the rules.

Players should have accepted the proposal.
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 145)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RedHopeful » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:48 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:Well, it looks like we will have plenty of time to tweak the rules.

As I said over on Buser's forum, I'm pissed the player's side/union were not more proactive immediately after the lockout began. At that time, they'd have had time to go to court w/o really risking a lost season (ala the NFL).
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 708)

Postby silentjim » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:25 pm

RedHopeful wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:Well, it looks like we will have plenty of time to tweak the rules.

As I said over on Buser's forum, I'm pissed the player's side/union were not more proactive immediately after the lockout began. At that time, they'd have had time to go to court w/o really risking a lost season (ala the NFL).

Hindsight is 20/20. If they had de-ceritified early the blame would have been on them for not showing the initiative to deal. At least in the scenario Stern keeps looking more and more like an ass.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 794)

Postby TheRobSays » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:36 pm

The whole thing is absurd and a waste of a good fantasy season if you ask me!

I almost think if they do play this season we should do a one-year standard league (no keepers, random draft order) just for fun and then we can re-start the league from stratch the year after.
TheRobSays
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 72)

Postby Markos » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:05 am

I support the players, seeing these billionaire owners trying to guarantee their profits would only further increase the value of their teams they bought as a hobby. If you want guaranteed profits, and salary cap rules designed to protect yourselves from you own stupidity, sell the team, buy some government bonds and piss off quietly.

That said, players union should never have bothered negotiating and just decertified Earlier. Waiting has made Stern look like an ass, but Hunter and Fisher could have gone down this road sometime between July and November. They are looking stupid too. Call should have come a month or two ago, it was pretty obvious then the owners had dug in and were out for blood.
Eradicating Marijuana one blunt at a time
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:15 am

There's a lot of talk about how Hunter has been prtocting his job as much as anything else through this process, and up to a point I think it's probably true. Decertification could have cost him job, while dragging things out and then going with statement of disinterest avoids the potential to be voted out of a job by a disgruntled player base. I'm not saying that's his only motive through this whole sorry drama, but I do think it played a role.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 410)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap