2012/13 season discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2012/13 season discussion

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby Markos » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:38 am

I thought 80 myself, but I havent looked at the salary data for months so .....
Eradicating Marijuana one blunt at a time
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby dasein » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:02 am

DVauthrin wrote: We have two realistic options. One is to find a new owner quickly (within a week or so), so that we can get the offseason started. Or we disband his team, and put all the players in the offseason free agent pool and we look at future expansion when we aren't under such a huge time crunch.

I'd think we really need a replacement. If we go to 15 teams, then someone is getting a bye every week. I don't know what the schedule would look like, but we'd be very lucky if the number of regular season weeks is a multiple of 15. Assuming it isn't then some teams are getting more byes than others, which would be unfair.

Anyone have somebody in mind? Can't say that I do unfortunately.

On the topic of salary cap, I tend to lean towards 72ish rather than 80. The NBA salary limit is 30% of the cap. So our max of 20 is closer to 72 than 80. Also, the salaries we currently have are a result of a cap in the 70 range, meaning if we go to 80 overnight, many of these will be artificaly low. And 80 is good why? Because its a rounder number? I'm not that fussed about it though, if the majority favor 80 it's ok with me.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 434)

Postby scully19 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:02 am

DVauthrin wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:First order of business - finding a replacement owner for Kal. Suggestions?

We have two realistic options. One is to find a new owner quickly (within a week or so), so that we can get the offseason started. Or we disband his team, and put all the players in the offseason free agent pool and we look at future expansion when we aren't under such a huge time crunch.

Wouldn't we need to disband another team as well, since Yahoo doesn't allow odd number of teams.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 196)

Postby dasein » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:13 am

scully19 wrote:Wouldn't we need to disband another team as well, since Yahoo doesn't allow odd number of teams.

depending on who is/isn't coming back, this might be the easier. We really need a role call.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby DVauthrin » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:47 am

dasein wrote:
scully19 wrote:Wouldn't we need to disband another team as well, since Yahoo doesn't allow odd number of teams.

depending on who is/isn't coming back, this might be the easier. We really need a role call.

So far based on participation in current discussions here who is committed to return:

silentjim
Fenris-77
redhopeful
DVauthrin
So-tex
TheRobSays
Markos
Dasein
Scully19
RocketsDWM
Hichi
Barrec(he responded to me in a PM that he's committed.

Have not heard from dch17, coffeeman, and snake(and I sent them all PM's this week). So we have 12 committed, 3 I havent heard from and 1 owner out for sure.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 166)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dasein » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:09 am

Well, running with 12 committed sounds ok to me. It's probably a better option than trying to fill 4 spots, annnnnd making all the changes in less than a month. Maybe we wait till the end of the week and if haven't heard from these guys, we scrap their teams.

I've written up a fairly detailed proposal for the tiebreak system, with a worked example here:
https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id ... Dpz1RnVlro

It's pretty much what Fenris proposed originally (I think) but with a bit more detail fleshed out. Have a read and see what you think. Keep in mind these questions, which are biggies.

1. Star player list from last year's results or this year's projections? (BBM per game in both cases)
2. Do we want the roster value tie break to favor the better roster (FA's behave like LeBron) or the weaker roster (promote competitve balance)?
3. How strong do we want bird rights to be (how easily do we want to be able to hold onto our stars)?
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby RocketsDWM » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:36 am

Let's give them until Friday to reply if they are in or out and then hash out the rules this weekend. Then we can start the bidding/draft process by mid-week next week?
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 144)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Markos » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:32 am

Surely we reboot before we scrap 4 teams and send 50 or so roster worthy players into free agency? Perhaps we can roll with 14 but dropping 1/4 of the league into free agency seems destined to mightily benefit anyone under the cap. Along with the amnesty and a bunch of underpriced guys this is gonna be a tough sell.

See who shows up first, but I'd favour a reboot with 12 and the overhauled rules over this
Eradicating Marijuana one blunt at a time
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 5)

Postby dasein » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:19 am

yeah, if we drop to 12 it probably does need to be a reboot
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby hi chi » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:33 pm

I agree if we go to 12 we need to reboot. Could be a bit of a time crunch to reboot.
hi chi
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 132)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap