2012/13 season discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2012/13 season discussion

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby silentjim » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:05 pm

I don't want to reboot, but I agree it would probably be necessary if 4 drop and we can't find replacements if necessary. The free agent pool though nice, would hinder and help some teams in completely different manners and it could create some insane parity.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 791)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby So-Tex » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:31 pm

Can't argue with the sentiments so far.

I'd really like to see it at 14 teams if possible though, even if we still have to reboot. One of the things I like about this league is that the size makes one evaluate talent more. With 12, it would seem like just a glorified keeper or dynasty league. Not that I've been in that many keeper leagues, mind you. I'm only in the 2nd year of one keeper I joined last year. So I'm really not saying that from experience, more from just observation.

But yeah, if we run with 12, I agree that a reboot of some sorts would be necessary.

Maybe we could make it like a supplemental draft or something? In other words, be allowed to keep, say any 2 of our top players, then draft from the 3rd round on? At least that way, it wouldn't be such a loss for those managers who have been in the league since the beginning. It may even balance the budgets out a little more evenly, so as not to skew in favor of teams way under the cap. I mean, I'm sure there are a majority of us who have at least one player at 20M, or close. And the only ones who may benefit from this setup would be those who have the one or two top rookies from the last few seasons (think Wall or Griffin). Otherwise, the majority of keepable players shouldn't be under long-term, low dollar contracts (at least, I THINK that's the case :-o ).
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 217)

Postby DVauthrin » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:46 pm

The issue is finding new owners with the season now 26 days away, and we need at least 2 weeks to run our offseason stuff. I think if we run with 12, we reboot, and we also re-align our roster setup. With 16 teams we have 144 starters and 96 backups if we move to a 16 man roster. That's 240 players.

If we end up at 12 teams, you start 12 guys, and have 8 man benches. still 240 players.
20 players auctioned a night gets the free agent process done in 12 days(and it doesn't matter who nominates whom) or the 20 players are PMed to every owner who submits their contracts to the blind email account. if we expand in the future, we can only protect a certain number of guys and you could establish tiers: such as how many top 25 players you can protect, top 50 you can protect, top 75 and top 100(just a rough idea, but you get the picture) so that new owners don't end up with all scrub teams.

Obviously the cap would need to be much higher: 90 or 95 million.

It could be:

PG: 1
SG: 1
G: 1
SF: 1
PF: 1
F: 1
C: 2
UTL: 4

or:

PG: 1
SG: 1
G: 2
SF: 1
PF: 1
F: 2
C: 2
UTL: 2
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 166)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dasein » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:27 pm

So-Tex wrote:
Maybe we could make it like a supplemental draft or something? In other words, be allowed to keep, say any 2 of our top players, then draft from the 3rd round on?

I like this idea. It would also help with tie-breaks right off the bat. Not sure that it works with a full reset.

I don't like the idea of having 12 active roster spots. Playing that many just pushes every team towards the mean. I am aware that dropping to 12 teams concentrates the FA tallent pool significantly, so lets try to avoid contraction as much as we can. I think the new rules are going to be much simpler, so bringing in a couple of new guys could be done in a short time.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 433)

Postby scully19 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:55 am

Me and Fenris were in a league that we did a half reboot where we started again, holding onto 2 players. Every player was ranked and the draft order was determined by reverse order of who held onto the worst players based on rankings.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 195)

Postby 4ndrew » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:27 am

Hi everyone, just thought I should let you know - DV has invited me to take over the running of Kal's team. I need quickly to become familiar with the rules & the day to day workload involved, as I've only played standard H2H leagues before. If I'm confident I understand it all, I'll commit to taking over the team, but I'll probably need a day or two to work through it before I can decide either way.
4ndrew
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Postby scully19 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:25 am

Welcome aboard...or Welcome to investigation might be more in order.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 195)

Postby RocketsDWM » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:27 am

So-Tex wrote:Can't argue with the sentiments so far.

I'd really like to see it at 14 teams if possible though, even if we still have to reboot. One of the things I like about this league is that the size makes one evaluate talent more. With 12, it would seem like just a glorified keeper or dynasty league. Not that I've been in that many keeper leagues, mind you. I'm only in the 2nd year of one keeper I joined last year. So I'm really not saying that from experience, more from just observation.

But yeah, if we run with 12, I agree that a reboot of some sorts would be necessary.

Maybe we could make it like a supplemental draft or something? In other words, be allowed to keep, say any 2 of our top players, then draft from the 3rd round on? At least that way, it wouldn't be such a loss for those managers who have been in the league since the beginning. It may even balance the budgets out a little more evenly, so as not to skew in favor of teams way under the cap. I mean, I'm sure there are a majority of us who have at least one player at 20M, or close. And the only ones who may benefit from this setup would be those who have the one or two top rookies from the last few seasons (think Wall or Griffin). Otherwise, the majority of keepable players shouldn't be under long-term, low dollar contracts (at least, I THINK that's the case :-o ).

Sounds like a plan (the last part). What about keeping more players? 6 too many?
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 144)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 4ndrew » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:08 am

Ok, DV's twisted my arm enough, so rather than seeing my elbow pop out of joint I've decided to give this a go. Please bear with me if/when I make rookie mistakes or ask dumb questions :)
4ndrew
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Postby dasein » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:39 am

4ndrew wrote:Ok, DV's twisted my arm enough, so rather than seeing my elbow pop out of joint I've decided to give this a go. Please bear with me if/when I make rookie mistakes or ask dumb questions :)

Great to have you aboard. No dumb questions here. In fact there is a better than average chance that we're still working out the answers. :-B

You might have noticed that we're in the process of changing some of the rules here, so the Official Rules thread is no longer up to date.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 433)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap