Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2012/13 season discussion

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby dasein » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:06 am

silentjim wrote:
dasein wrote:
silentjim wrote: The only reason I bring this up, is because I have basically an entire roster of bird's rights players, but really am only on the books for 26.8 million this season so far. If I count my bird's rights players salaries into it, I have 55.67 million technically tied up. Depending on how the bidding goes with the groups and how my players in the pools, I could come away with not enough players and too much money if I think I can resign my players, but can't. It also limits my bidding by quite a bit (less than 20 million compared to slightly less than 40).

I'm actually not sure what the point of having cap holds is for bird right players is. Things would certainly be a lot simpler without them. It's a hangover from the original rules that I guess nobody has thought to question, but it's probably a bit late in the game to do so now.

Having said that, it seems to me that bird rights are mostly useful only for the higher end players, so you probably wouldn't be at a disadvantage if you waive rights to most of the guys you have if you need cap space for bidding.

I agree with you that it seems we don't need cap holds anymore and it just like semantics now. With the timing of everything it just seems like it could hurt people, me in particular.

Well, I guess we havn't started FA yet so there is still time to scrap the idea. Do any of the old heads know what the point of them was and if there is a reason we should keep them?
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 433)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby silentjim » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:41 am

dasein wrote:Well, I guess we havn't started FA yet so there is still time to scrap the idea. Do any of the old heads know what the point of them was and if there is a reason we should keep them?

I'm trying to think what consequences there would be by keeping or getting rid of the holds and I can't think of any major problems that getting rid of them would cause.

On a secondary note, with a true hard cap, what are we doing with the MLE? And what will teams who are at the cap do when the go to draft a player who's contract would put them over the cap? Do they have to trade it? Meaning its a true hard cap?
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 791)

Postby Fenris-77 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:58 am

Bah, lose the cap holds. It's just needless paperwork in the new system.

And yes, a true hard cap. Of course you can always waive someone to make room, or do some trading. I think it's fair to give teams 7 or 14 days or something to get back under the cap in situations like this.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 410)

Postby silentjim » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:07 am

No MLE then correct?
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dasein » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:25 am

silentjim wrote:No MLE then correct?

Yup. The MLE is long gone.

I'm for scraping the cap holds too. Thinking about it more, they add a significant component of chance to FAgency. Using our current FA pool system, it's guaranteed that some teams will have guys with substantial cap holds that don't come up for auction until the end (e.g. the owner of Dwight this year). This means they are handcuffed for most of the auctions. Your bidding power is determined by a roll of the dice.

How about an executive decision? Can I get an Amen?
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 433)

Postby silentjim » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:48 am

dasein wrote:
silentjim wrote:No MLE then correct?

Yup. The MLE is long gone.

I'm for scraping the cap holds too. Thinking about it more, they add a significant component of chance to FAgency. Using our current FA pool system, it's guaranteed that some teams will have guys with substantial cap holds that don't come up for auction until the end (e.g. the owner of Dwight this year). This means they are handcuffed for most of the auctions. Your bidding power is determined by a roll of the dice.

How about an executive decision? Can I get an Amen?

AMEN!
silentjim

Postby Fenris-77 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:56 am

Amen indeed. B-)
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 410)

Postby silentjim » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:04 am

Even with the example I'm still a little confused on the tiebreakers, but I think once I see one in real life it will make sense. ;-D Hopefully...
silentjim

Postby Markos » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:51 am

Praise the lord!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Eradicating Marijuana one blunt at a time
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 5)

Postby nsink » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:44 am

silentjim wrote:
dasein wrote:
silentjim wrote: The only reason I bring this up, is because I have basically an entire roster of bird's rights players, but really am only on the books for 26.8 million this season so far. If I count my bird's rights players salaries into it, I have 55.67 million technically tied up. Depending on how the bidding goes with the groups and how my players in the pools, I could come away with not enough players and too much money if I think I can resign my players, but can't. It also limits my bidding by quite a bit (less than 20 million compared to slightly less than 40).

I'm actually not sure what the point of having cap holds is for bird right players is. Things would certainly be a lot simpler without them. It's a hangover from the original rules that I guess nobody has thought to question, but it's probably a bit late in the game to do so now.

Having said that, it seems to me that bird rights are mostly useful only for the higher end players, so you probably wouldn't be at a disadvantage if you waive rights to most of the guys you have if you need cap space for bidding.

I agree with you that it seems we don't need cap holds anymore and it just like semantics now. With the timing of everything it just seems like it could hurt people, me in particular.

I assume the point is, if u want to have the right to be more attractive, and offer 15% instead of ten, then u have to carry that right against your cap or release it.
nsink
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 116)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap