Return to FBC Salary Cap

2012/13 season discussion

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby nsink » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:46 am

dasein wrote:
silentjim wrote:No MLE then correct?

Yup. The MLE is long gone.

I'm for scraping the cap holds too. Thinking about it more, they add a significant component of chance to FAgency. Using our current FA pool system, it's guaranteed that some teams will have guys with substantial cap holds that don't come up for auction until the end (e.g. the owner of Dwight this year). This means they are handcuffed for most of the auctions. Your bidding power is determined by a roll of the dice.

How about an executive decision? Can I get an Amen?

Im ok with getting rid of them, but we still retain our Tie breaking advantage and 15% correct?
Ive got a big name up i need to lock up this weekend
nsink
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 116)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby nsink » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:48 am

it makes sense to get rid of them since FA is an nomination based game, unlike real NBA where everyone talks
nsink
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 116)

Postby dasein » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:49 am

nsink wrote: Im ok with getting rid of them, but we still retain our Tie breaking advantage and 15% correct?
Ive got a big name up i need to lock up this weekend

Bird Rights haven't been changed. They still function exactly the same as they always have. The difference is they no longer exert a cap hold on your roster.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 433)

Postby So-Tex » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:32 am

I'm still a bit lost on the whole restricted free agent thing vs having Bird rights.

Example: I've got Troy Murphy who just came off of contract. I really don't remember how I came across him last season - he may even have already been on my roster. But I DO know I had him throughout the season. So that means I have Bird rights on him if I wanted to resign him, right?

So what's the difference between that and having him as a restricted free agent? Or am I totally missing something here? :-S
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 217)

Postby dasein » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:47 am

So-Tex wrote:I'm still a bit lost on the whole restricted free agent thing vs having Bird rights.

Example: I've got Troy Murphy who just came off of contract. I really don't remember how I came across him last season - he may even have already been on my roster. But I DO know I had him throughout the season. So that means I have Bird rights on him if I wanted to resign him, right?

So what's the difference between that and having him as a restricted free agent? Or am I totally missing something here? :-S

This is actually an easy one.

RFAs only come from rookie contracts. Players on the final year of their rookie contract are automatically RFAs. This means the owner doesn't have to bid. They can just sit back, see who wins the auction and then decide if they want to match the winning bid and keep their player.

The situation you described would make Murphy a FA, for whom you own the bird rights. BRs allow you to use a 15% increase/decrease rather than 10%. They also give a tie break advantage, but this will probably only be relevant for max contract guys.

EDIT: scully has started labeling the RFA contract year in green in the spreadsheet. This makes it easy to keep track of.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby So-Tex » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:04 am

Ok, I get it now. Don't know what it was I was looking at to think it applied to just ANY free agent, and not specifically rookies. It seemed like it was one in the same. But I get it now.

So basically, any of those free agents I have Bird's rights for, I still have to outbid the other managers? But, I can do so by using salary increases or decreases of 15%, as opposed to 10%?
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby dasein » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:11 am

yup ;-D
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby DVauthrin » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:18 am

So-Tex wrote:Ok, I get it now. Don't know what it was I was looking at to think it applied to just ANY free agent, and not specifically rookies. It seemed like it was one in the same. But I get it now.

So basically, any of those free agents I have Bird's rights for, I still have to outbid the other managers? But, I can do so by using salary increases or decreases of 15%, as opposed to 10%?

correct. if a tiebreaker is needed the only way you can lose is by having another star that can only play that players position.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 166)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RocketsDWM » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:19 am

DVauthrin wrote:
So-Tex wrote:Ok, I get it now. Don't know what it was I was looking at to think it applied to just ANY free agent, and not specifically rookies. It seemed like it was one in the same. But I get it now.

correct. if a tiebreaker is needed the only way you can lose is by having another star that can only play that players position.

Gotcha. Makes sense.
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 144)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby So-Tex » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:22 pm

I know I'm OTC for the rookie draft, but I'm waiting to hear back from another manager regarding a trade offer.

I'll get this moving along again ASAP! ;-D
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap