2012/13 season discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2012/13 season discussion

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby nsink » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:24 pm

So-Tex wrote:Why is the Dwight Howard thread locked?

Jim had tiebreaker, and bid max
nsink
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 116)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby nsink » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:32 pm

quick questions

whats a DIme on your post refer to
nsink
College Captain
College Captain

Postby So-Tex » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:40 pm

nsink wrote:
So-Tex wrote:Why is the Dwight Howard thread locked?

Jim had tiebreaker, and bid max

So there really wasn't any chance of getting him? Was he a RFA?
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 217)

Postby So-Tex » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:46 pm

I'm not questioning the purpose, or faulting anyone including Jim, but did we RUN all the tiebreakers for EVERY manager in the league?

I mean, I went to bed early this morning, no Dwight on the board - I wake up roughly 6 hours later, and Dwight's already done?!?

I understand the idea of REALLY wanting to keep your own guys...but WOW! :-* That's one hell of a tiebreaker!

Hope I get the same considerations next season when I'm fighting off the wolves for Deron Williams. }:-) ;-7
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby scully19 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:48 pm

I believe that the way the system is set up, if you do not have a good player at his position the team in question keeps the player in question without question.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 196)

Postby So-Tex » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:57 pm

I don't have a good player! What, Tiago Splitter?!?! %-6

I can bid the max. I have cap space. Dont' I?!?! :-S

I mean, I'm the type who counts every vote in an election, not just hands over the victory to the winner simply because it LOOKS like he's winning! And I don't finagle in trying to "count the votes" either - just straight up count what's there, fair and honest.

And I want a shot at that! Guess it's too much to ask, huh? ;-7

Bottom line, if that was the case, we should have just been allowed to sign any 2 or 3 guys we wanted to keep for sure, and start from there - glorified keeper, I know, but THAT'S what I'm seeing here - and I just call it as I see it.
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby nsink » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:03 pm

So-Tex wrote:I don't have a good player! What, Tiago Splitter?!?! %-6

I mean, I'm the type who counts every vote in an election, not just hands over the victory to the winner simply because it LOOKS like he's winning! And I don't finagle in trying to "count the votes" either - just straight up count what's there, fair and honest.

Bottom line, if that was the case, we should have just been allowed to sign any 2 or 3 guys we wanted to keep for sure, and start from there - glorified keeper, I know, but THAT'S what I'm seeing here - and I just call it as I see it.

but thats how the nba wants it, superstars stay with home team. Its not like we can offer south beach lifestyle to our fantasy team, or endorsements
nsink
College Captain
College Captain

Postby scully19 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:10 pm

"You" I used was a general statement, not directed to say you specifically.

Basically, silentjim would win any tie breaker, so if he bids the max, the tie breaker is over.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 196)

Postby So-Tex » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:18 pm

scully19 wrote:Basically, silentjim would win any tie breaker, so if he bids the max, the tie breaker is over.
nsink wrote:

but thats how the nba wants it, superstars stay with home team. Its not like we can offer south beach lifestyle to our fantasy team, or endorsements

I understand the cemantics, sink...but how ELSE am I supposed to try and get better? It's not like I'll be offering Max deals to every FA that comes along!

And screw the NBA! They wouldn't know a good trade if it danced in front of them naked with a clown nose on! :-C

scully19 wrote:Basically, silentjim would win any tie breaker, so if he bids the max, the tie breaker is over.

Ok, forgive me for being anal here...but did EVERY manager run the scenario through all the tiebreakers? Or are we just ASSUMING that Jim will win? I mean, I certainly haven't had the time to go over to the rules and double check. In fact, I WON'T have time, since I have to leave here in a bit.

All I know is Howard is NOT a restricted free agent, so he should be in play.

Everyone enjoy your free agency period...I'll just be hanging around in the wings, waiting to fill my roster with this season's group of scrubs... ;-7
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby DVauthrin » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:02 pm

So-Tex wrote:
nsink wrote:

I understand the cemantics, sink...but how ELSE am I supposed to try and get better? It's not like I'll be offering Max deals to every FA that comes along!

And screw the NBA! They wouldn't know a good trade if it danced in front of them naked with a clown nose on! :-C

Ok, forgive me for being anal here...but did EVERY manager run the scenario through all the tiebreakers? Or are we just ASSUMING that Jim will win? I mean, I certainly haven't had the time to go over to the rules and double check. In fact, I WON'T have time, since I have to leave here in a bit.

All I know is Howard is NOT a restricted free agent, so he should be in play.

Everyone enjoy your free agency period...I'll just be hanging around in the wings, waiting to fill my roster with this season's group of scrubs... ;-7

I ran the tiebreakers before I posted who would win the max player auctions in cases of a tie. Come on now, you know me better than that. If we have to wait on everyone to check something, the process never finishes. Everyone would have to match 80M so we move to stage 2, which is where you consider only playing time(i.e. players at dwight's position). All of Jim's other centers are free agents so he doesn't lose points. Then you add on the extra point the team with bird rights gets, and Jim has one more point than anyone else. Thus, we don't advance to stage 3 of the tiebreaker and Jim retains Howard.

Here is the other tiebreakers:

Durant: 4andrew has a starting SF spot avail as he moved wright to SG, so because of the extra bird point, he will win stage 2 of the tiebreaker.
Paul: Rockets doesn't have another star PG, so with the bird rights point, he wins stage 2.
LeBron: Since Deng and Brand are fa's, he has no stars at either SF or PF(LeBron's eligible position), and again bird rights guarantees him a win in stage 2.
curry-restricted free agent, enough said
Kevin Love-he has Amare at either C or PF, but not both. Thus he has playing time available, and the bird rights point guarantees sink the tiebreaker.
Westbrook-fenris had no star at PG, so bird rights guarantees Westy's return in stage 2.
Howard-Jim has no star under contract at center, so bird rights wins him Howard in stage 2.

The tiebreaker definitely favors home teams, and definitely will be a topic worth discussing for change in the next offseason(when we have the time), but for now it's the best we have to offer.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 166)
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap