2012/13 season discussion - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2012/13 season discussion

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 2010/11 season discussion

Postby DVauthrin » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:17 pm

So-Tex wrote:

I understand the cemantics, sink...but how ELSE am I supposed to try and get better? It's not like I'll be offering Max deals to every FA that comes along!

This is one of the deepest free agent classes you will ever see, and there are plenty of good players that shouldn't get the max. If you're only goal is to sign max players, then yeah you will be disappointed. But there are tons of quality players to help your team right now. Having two 1st round talents with no money to get anything else isn't a recipe for success either. You may need to overpay to get some quality talent to pair with deron that fits your categories. Having a team with many really good players often beats a team of a few stars in fantasy.

Rudy Gay is on the board right now, Paul Pierce was won at 10M for next season(top 30 player), Zach Randolph, Granger, Felton, Deng, Marc Gasol, Gallo, Conley, Harden, Evans, Noah, Jennings, Gortat and others have yet to be auctioned. then there's Bosh, Kidd, Brand, J-Rich, Duncan, Stephen Jackson and others among the vets. These are all guys that would drastically improve your team.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 166)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dasein » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:45 pm

DVauthrin wrote:You may need to overpay to get some quality talent to pair with deron that fits your categories.

I'm starting to think this is right too. Lots of tallent in the pool, but lots of cap space available too so prices are going to be higher than what we would like sometimes. The likes of westbrook and love probably aren't quite worth max contracts, buts thats what you had to give to secure them.

Keep in mind that as the years progress, teams that are near the cap won't be able to keep their high caliber RFAs. This is where being wise with your cap will bring dividends. There are only 5 or 6 1st round value guys in the FA pool this year, but 16 managers, so we can't all get one. But as long as you hand out smart contracts and go for value, you should be in a strong position long-term.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 433)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby DVauthrin » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:51 pm

dasein wrote:
DVauthrin wrote:You may need to overpay to get some quality talent to pair with deron that fits your categories.

I'm starting to think this is right too. Lots of tallent in the pool, but lots of cap space available too so prices are going to be higher than what we would like sometimes. The likes of westbrook and love probably aren't quite worth max contracts, buts thats what you had to give to secure them.

Keep in mind that as the years progress, teams that are near the cap won't be able to keep their high caliber RFAs. This is where being wise with your cap will bring dividends. There are only 5 or 6 1st round value guys in the FA pool this year, but 16 managers, so we can't all get one. But as long as you hand out smart contracts and go for value, you should be in a strong position long-term.

Couldn't have said it better.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby scully19 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:32 pm

Why must increases and decreases in pay be the same every year?
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 195)

Postby DVauthrin » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:35 pm

scully19 wrote:Why must increases and decreases in pay be the same every year?

because for this season it's the rule. now is not the time to change it. Next offseason is that time.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

Postby scully19 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:44 pm

Wasn't asking to change it now, I just know it wasn't a rule last year and didn't see it proposed as a rule this year. Admittedly I didn't see everything as I have been a little short on time lately. Was more curious why someone thought it would be a good rule.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 195)

Postby silentjim » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:48 pm

So-Tex, this is what my questioning from a page or two early was about. I wasn't sure either about how things work. Because of the way the first auction went, the years were limited on max guys to two years, which means most of them are up again. However, contracts that increase from year to year (10,11,12,13) and then teams that end up with more than one or two star players at the same position, won't be able to resign those guys, either from not having the money, or from losing the tiebreakers.

I agree with everyone else that in order for teams to rebound big or build from a poor season they need to take advantage of other non-max guys, which is what I think has to happen even for me.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 791)

Postby silentjim » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:50 pm

scully19 wrote:Wasn't asking to change it now, I just know it wasn't a rule last year and didn't see it proposed as a rule this year. Admittedly I didn't see everything as I have been a little short on time lately. Was more curious why someone thought it would be a good rule.

Last season we were only allowed to move or up down based on 10% of the first year as well. With this system, its just much easier to follow instead of people getting insane with deals. Also since were not taking average salaries anymore and instead working with totals, it makes more sense to keep it simple.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 791)

Postby nsink » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:53 pm

scully19 wrote:Wasn't asking to change it now, I just know it wasn't a rule last year and didn't see it proposed as a rule this year. Admittedly I didn't see everything as I have been a little short on time lately. Was more curious why someone thought it would be a good rule.

i could see the logic. you dont want guys backloading contracts to much because either they expect them to retire (say 10,10,10,20 for duncan ), or lobby for new amnesty, or lleave the league (and thus leaving the next manager screwed)
nsink
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 116)

Postby dasein » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:04 pm

scully19 wrote:Why must increases and decreases in pay be the same every year?

It's how the NBA does it.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 433)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap