2010-2011 Discussion Thread - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Auction

2010-2011 Discussion Thread

Moderator: geodbear

Re: 2010-2011 Discussion Thread

Postby RedHopeful » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:23 pm

geodbear wrote:So how about a Tuesday night? We'll skip Monday for the football fans. Tuesday the 19th of October. As for time, what's the earliest for those of you on the West Coast? I originally had it as 10 pm ET (7 pm PT).

Thumbs Up #1 for date/time. ;-D
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 550)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby CavemanDoctor » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:23 pm

Oct. 19 works for me. Earliest for me would be 6 pm West Coast time.
CavemanDoctor
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:50 pm

geodbear wrote:So how about a Tuesday night? We'll skip Monday for the football fans. Tuesday the 19th of October. As for time, what's the earliest for those of you on the West Coast? I originally had it as 10 pm ET (7 pm PT).

;-D
Grounded Polo
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 19)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bokzg » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:40 am

10/19/10 @ 7:00 PST works for me.
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 70)

Postby samo » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:39 pm

RedHopeful wrote:Lol - u guys are a picky bunch. You've got your work cut out for you, geodbear. :*)

Yeah, we tried to organize a live draft that worked for everybody in Octagon Year 1. Haven't tried since. :-°

I can probably make almost anything work (but not Wed Oct. 20 pm).
samo
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby jphanned » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:18 pm

Should work for me. ;-D
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 281)

Postby DVauthrin » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:24 am

Tuesday, October 19th at 9 pm central time(7 pacific, 10 eastern) is good with me. ;-D
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby geodbear » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:33 am

I am going to change it to that for now. Tues, Oct. 19, 10 pm ET.
Yes, Warriors sold at last!
geodbear

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 179)

Postby geodbear » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:44 pm

I participated in my first live auction draft last night so I wanted to share some things that I learned since this will be a first time for some of you. The draft was for 14 teams, 13 players like ours and lasted nearly 2 hr 45 min, which was getting long. The time limits used were 30 seconds for nomination, and 30 seconds for bid. These are the default settings. The 30 second nomination time is the minimum, so I'll keep that. I'm changing the bid time from 30 to 20 seconds, which will still be plenty of time as any bids in the last 10 seconds resets the clock to 10 seconds, so no one can jus steal a player at the last second. This should reduce the time of the draft my about 30 minutes, so expect the draft to run a little over two hours.

Also, set your player values in advance if you're not going to make it. And at the least check out and change some of the default values at Yahoo! For example, Grant Hill has a value of $33 (under current budget of $200) and Rasual Butler has a value of $20. You don't want to get caught with the wrong player for the wrong amount.

Speaking of that, pay attention. In the draft last night, the first manager nominating decided to throw out Grant Hill since we had some managers on autopck and he wanted to mess around. Our budget was $260 per team, so Hill's Yahoo value was in the 40's. One of the other managers had just logged on and assumed it was Kevin Durant up for bid and ended up with Grant Hill for $55. That pretty much messed him up for the rest of the night. I will say that there were a couple of teams that audopicked for the whole night and they turned out all right for the most part, with a few glitches such as nominating and getting Vlad Rad for $1.

Overall, it was a lot of fun. There is a lot of room for strategy, and getting into bidding wars can be fun but dangerours. I am thinkng about changing our budgets from the default $200 to $260 since I think it's easier to think of the average value being $20. Let me know if you have any opinion on this. I would recommend doing some mock drafts so you get a feel for the system.
Yes, Warriors sold at last!
geodbear

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 179)

Postby bokzg » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:11 pm

geodbear wrote:I participated in my first live auction draft last night so I wanted to share some things that I learned since this will be a first time for some of you. The draft was for 14 teams, 13 players like ours and lasted nearly 2 hr 45 min, which was getting long. The time limits used were 30 seconds for nomination, and 30 seconds for bid. These are the default settings. The 30 second nomination time is the minimum, so I'll keep that. I'm changing the bid time from 30 to 20 seconds, which will still be plenty of time as any bids in the last 10 seconds resets the clock to 10 seconds, so no one can jus steal a player at the last second. This should reduce the time of the draft my about 30 minutes, so expect the draft to run a little over two hours.

Also, set your player values in advance if you're not going to make it. And at the least check out and change some of the default values at Yahoo! For example, Grant Hill has a value of $33 (under current budget of $200) and Rasual Butler has a value of $20. You don't want to get caught with the wrong player for the wrong amount.

Speaking of that, pay attention. In the draft last night, the first manager nominating decided to throw out Grant Hill since we had some managers on autopck and he wanted to mess around. Our budget was $260 per team, so Hill's Yahoo value was in the 40's. One of the other managers had just logged on and assumed it was Kevin Durant up for bid and ended up with Grant Hill for $55. That pretty much messed him up for the rest of the night. I will say that there were a couple of teams that audopicked for the whole night and they turned out all right for the most part, with a few glitches such as nominating and getting Vlad Rad for $1.

Overall, it was a lot of fun. There is a lot of room for strategy, and getting into bidding wars can be fun but dangerours. I am thinkng about changing our budgets from the default $200 to $260 since I think it's easier to think of the average value being $20. Let me know if you have any opinion on this. I would recommend doing some mock drafts so you get a feel for the system.

Thanks for all the information, I definitely intend to do a mock beforehand to learn how the system works. I'd be fine with changing it from $200 to $260.
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 70)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Auction