Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Auction

2010-2011 Discussion Thread

Moderator: geodbear

Re: 2010-2011 Discussion Thread

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:26 pm

Yeah - all for the higher budget. ;-D
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 641)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby DVauthrin » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:30 pm

I'm all for the higher budget as well.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 112)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CavemanDoctor » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:39 pm

The mo' money, the betta.
CavemanDoctor
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby greyone » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:53 am

Are we using a soft or hard cap? Important when discussing Auction Budget and setting up in season free agency.

Soft Cap being winning bids and players values aren't carried into the season. Meaning we should spend every dollar we have in the auction. Then in season free agents COULD he picked up using normal procedures. Or we could implement in season free agent budgets. Completely separate budget from the auction. Blind Bid free agency?

Hard Cap would carry players winning bids into the season. Trades COULD be governed by the winning bid scales. Hard Cap makes trading interesting and harder.

:-? This conversation could get messy.
Last edited by greyone on Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
greyone
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jphanned » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:10 am

greyone wrote:Are we using a soft or hard cap? Important when discussing Auction Budget and setting up in season free agency.

Soft Cap being winning bids and players values aren't carried into the season. Meaning we should spend every dollar we have in the auction. Then in season free agents COULD he picked up using normal procedures. Or we could implement in season free agent budgets. Completely separate budget from the auction. Blind Bid free agency?

Hard Cap would carry players winning bids into the season. Trades COULD be governed by the winning bid scales.

:-? This conversation could get messy.

You're over-complicating things. It's a "soft cap". The auction serves the exact same purpose as a regular snake draft. It's just done in a manner that makes every player available to all 14 owners. The price at which a player is won in the auction bears no weight and has no effect on transactions beyond the draft. There is no advantage to not spending every dollar in your $260 budget. Leftover money from your budget will not be added to your in-season FAAB budget. Trades are done as they have always have. In-season, each manager may bid on a free agent using the $100 allotted to him. The short and skinny version of it is that the highest bidder will win the free agent.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby greyone » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:42 am

Cool deal. Last time I spoke to Geo the rules weren't ironed out. First time I have come across the leagues forum.

Looking forward to this. I play in 2 basketball leagues with hard caps(blind bidding in season). Main football league with soft cap. Another dynasty football league with contract years, offseason RFA/UFA bidding and inseason message board bidding.
greyone
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bokzg » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:44 pm

Rounders Block wrote:You're over-complicating things. It's a "soft cap". The auction serves the exact same purpose as a regular snake draft. It's just done in a manner that makes every player available to all 14 owners. The price at which a player is won in the auction bears no weight and has no effect on transactions beyond the draft. There is no advantage to not spending every dollar in your $260 budget. Leftover money from your budget will not be added to your in-season FAAB budget. Trades are done as they have always have. In-season, each manager may bid on a free agent using the $100 allotted to him. The short and skinny version of it is that the highest bidder will win the free agent.

I've tried looking it up but couldn't find the answer. With the FAAB budget, is it a set amount of money that we have to ration throughout the entire season or does it reset every so often? Also, the Yahoo explanation seems to suggest it's only used when it comes to claiming players off of waivers, but has no mention of free agents. Is it only going to apply to fighting over players who are on a waiver period?
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 83)

Postby jphanned » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:10 pm

bokzg wrote:I've tried looking it up but couldn't find the answer. With the FAAB budget, is it a set amount of money that we have to ration throughout the entire season or does it reset every so often? Also, the Yahoo explanation seems to suggest it's only used when it comes to claiming players off of waivers, but has no mention of free agents. Is it only going to apply to fighting over players who are on a waiver period?

It is a set amount of money that does not reset. The FAAB budget is only used for players who are on waivers, not for free agents. This is a good observation though, because it kind of kills the point of having a budget if we're not using it most of the time. I've played in hoops leagues that use a FAAB budget, and it was a weekly scoring league with weekly free agent pickups. Same system that fantasy football uses essentially.

If I was to make a recommendation, it would be to either eliminate the FAAB system and go standard daily pickups or implement the FAAB system with weekly pickups (maybe weekly lineups as well).
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby ggs » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:33 pm

^either option fine with me.
ggs
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 143)

Postby CavemanDoctor » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:54 pm

I like the idea of weekly pickups/weekly lineups.
CavemanDoctor
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Auction